Register

APACHE CLIPS IS A NOT FOR PROFIT SITE DEDICATED TO OUR ARMED FORCES.

ALL PROFITS GENERATED WILL BE DONATED TO THE WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT OR THE SEMPER FI FUND.

WELCOME GUEST, BE SURE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER, SO THAT YOU CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ALL THE FEATURES WE HAVE TO OFFER!
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT FAQ SECTION IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Warrant Officer
    Dislike

Iran has offered to supply Pakistan with 80,000 barrels of crude oil per day and a $250 million loan to help build a gas pipeline from the Iranian border, a Pakistani official said Wednesday.
    A Pakistani delegation will visit Iran in the middle of March to discuss the mode of payment, the official from the petroleum ministry told AFP.
    Although the United States objects strongly to the pipeline project, Pakistan appears determined to press ahead importing fuel from its western neighbour under a deal expected to start providing gas in 2014.
    Nuclear-armed Pakistan suffers from a crippling energy shortage and insists it cannot do without the fuel from Iran, subject to increasing EU and US sanctions over its controversial nuclear programme.
    "Iran has offered to supply 80,000 barrels of crude oil per day on deferred payment to Pakistan," said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the media.
    "Iran has also agreed to provide $250 million as credit to Pakistan for the gas pipeline project," he added.
    Pakistani Oil Minister Assem Hussein was quoted in the local media as confirming the 80,000 barrels and $250 million loan.
    It is only the dead who have seen the end of war. -Plato-
    If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter -George Washington-
    Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil-Thomas Mann-
    The more I know about people, the more I like my dog -Mark Twain-
    All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing -Edmund Burke-
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves-Edward R. Murrow-
    supportwwp.org

2. Likes

brightgoo (03-26-2012)
    Warrant Officer
    Dislike

Only the credible threat of military action against its nuclear weapons sites will deter Iran
    Nobody knows better than the Israelis what a mortal threat a radical Iranian regime will be when it is armed with the nuclear weapon it pretends it is not devising and the ballistic missiles it does not even bother to conceal. The combination will give the people of Israel 10 to 12 minutes' warning that they are faced with extinction.
    Aggressive regimes tend to be hypocritical, professing peace while planning war. (The classic case is Hitler and his nonaggression pact with the Soviets.) But the Iranian leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, having wrecked his own country, is open in his manic obsession with Israel: "From now onward, we will support and help any nations, any groups fighting against the Zionist regime across the world. ... The Zionist regime is a true cancer tumor on this region that should be cut off" and "it definitely will be cut off."
    [See a collection of political cartoons on Iran.]
    As Shimon Peres, the president of Israel and architect of the Oslo peace agreements, has pointed out, Iran already has such huge oil and gas reserves that there can be little doubt its nuclear endeavors are aimed at constructing a bomb rather than producing energy. Iran, as he dryly added, is also the only country in the world threatening to wipe out another country. Not just to hurt it, or to damage it, but to wipe it off the face of the Earth. And while no other country was threatening it, Iran chose to become a center for global terrorism. It sent--and is still sending--both munitions and money to murderous outfits, first and foremost such radical groups as Hamas and Hezbollah, also intent on killing Israelis. This clearly suggests that the Iranians would also be willing to transfer nuclear materials to their terrorist allies. Of course, Iran doesn't scruple at assassinating its own citizens and goes abroad in search of perceived enemies.
    Wiping out Israel is but one objective. If successful in its nuclear efforts, Iran would wield power as the dominant force in the energy-rich Persian Gulf region. By terror and proxy warfare, it would undermine and seek to destabilize moderate regimes, embolden the radicals, and bring an end to any possibility of Middle East peace.
    [See pictures of Iran participating in War Games.]
    What can stop Iran's palpable determination to be a nuclear-armed power? Only the threat of military action against its weapons sites. Iran has shown continual contempt for any kind of negotiation regarding nuclear energy for a peaceful purpose. Sanctions, too long delayed, create hardship for its people, but the regime reckons it can keep the lid on unrest until it is too late. It bars U.N. inspectors and continues its deadly work, calculating to give the world a nasty shock. The possibility of a pre-emptive strike is now the only credible deterrent. It's crucial for the whole region, the whole world, but if the United States forswears military intervention, or seems to forswear it, the Israelis and everyone else can only conclude that nothing will stand in the way of Iran becoming a nuclear power. Except Israel.
    What may happen is that one day the Israeli defense minister will telephone the White House and the Pentagon to inform them that the prime minister has just ordered the Israeli Air Force to fly east toward Iran with the intention of dealing with the gravest menace since Hitler to the physical survival of the Jewish people. For a country as small as Israel, even a small-scale nuclear attack would be an existential catastrophe. The Israelis believe that if they make a pre-emptive strike they have a reasonable chance of at least delaying the Iranian nuclear program for three to five years. They will reasonably assert that Israel was left with no choice.
    [Read the U.S. News debate: Should the United States Consider Military Action to Hinder Iran's Nuclear Program?]
    Nobody can expect Israel to sit back and do nothing substantial to defend itself when it alone stands between its people and a potentially apocalyptic Islamic regime. Otherwise, Israel's status as a safe haven for the Jewish people would evaporate and with it the core raison d'?tre of the Zionist state. This time, the Jewish people at least have the power to attempt to save themselves; they could not when Hitler's war machine rolled over Europe. For the Jews, the balance of risks is grotesquely lopsided. The Iranian demand is not "Money or your life!" It's just "Your life!"
    As for the risks to Iran, former President Hashemi Rafsanjani, speaking in 2001, was quite blunt about the balance. "The use of an atomic bomb against Israel would destroy Israel completely, while [a nuclear attack] against the Islamic countries would only cause damage." No wonder the Israelis fear that a theocratic regime that embraces the Shiite culture of martyrdom and responds to the imperatives of jihad would not be deterred by a nuclear balance of terror, in spite of Israel's secure nuclear response capabilities. In other words, rational deterrent theory or the threat of mutual assured destruction would not apply to Iran.
    If Iranian leaders wanted simply to scare Israel and pose as the good guys to the other anti-Semitic regimes in the region, they have pressed all the wrong buttons on Israel's sensitive national psyche. Since the Holocaust, the Israelis' primary conviction has been "never again." Perhaps the most famous picture in Israel is the one of Israeli jet fighter-bombers flying over Auschwitz with the intention of making clear Israel's determination to defend itself against threats of horrors to come. Never again will they consign their fate to their enemies. Never again will they live or die at the whim of others. As the former head of the Mossad put it, Israel can't afford to wonder every night if Tehran "will go crazy and throw a bomb on us."
    [See a collection of political cartoons on the turmoil in the Middle East.]
    Israeli prime ministers took action against Iraq in 1981 and Syria in 2007 to eliminate those countries' nuclear capacities. It worked. The Israelis have even stronger reasons now not to take the risk that someone else will come to the rescue. If President Obama is spending energy to make it known to the Israelis--and the Iranians!--that the United States is opposed to an Israeli last-chance effort, what confidence can Israel have that the United States will wake up in time or even then act with resolution? The Israelis cannot be expected to put full faith and confidence in an American president who fails to recognize the critical threats to Israel.
    The Israelis cannot live on that hope. They know the consequences of nuclear bombs hitting Tel Aviv and Haifa: There would be no more Israel. Who would bet his life on the chance that reason might dawn in Tehran and it would hold back from a promised attack? Yes, if Iran were so treacherous as to bomb, the day will live in infamy--but not the victims.
    Of course, a nuclear-armed Iran is a threat not only to Israel but to all of Western civilization. When a messianic cult grabs the reins of power and the weapons of mass death, there is no knowing what mad things it will do. It is not restrained by world opinion and still less by opinion at home, not restrained by treaty nor inhibited by constraints of decency. After all, the ayatollahs view most of their critics as infidels; the United States is the "Great Satan."
    [See pictures of the U.S. Military in the Persian Gulf.]
    Iran is not Israel's problem. It is the world's problem. The world, led by the United States, should grapple with it. But if Israel concludes that Obama will not under any circumstances launch a strike on Iran soon enough to prevent it from achieving a breakout nuclear capacity, then it will have no choice but to begin the countdown for a unilateral Israeli attack.
    It is not just an outright nuclear attack from Iran that concerns Israel. Iran could raise the stakes by firing conventional rockets. What is more, Iran's sheer possession of nuclear arms would undermine the confidence of the Israeli people in their security at home and so undermine Israel's attraction for creative and productive citizens.
    Israel enjoys the support of others. French President Nicolas Sarkozy has criticized Obama as the purveyor of a false hope. At the U.N. Security Council in 2009, he said: "I support the extended hand of the Americans, but what good have proposals for dialogue brought the international community? More uranium enrichment and declarations by the leaders of Iran to wipe a U.N. member state off the map."
    What will the United States do if sanctions fail to force an early resolution? What will Iran do if it does not think the United States will use military force? The permutations of peril are daunting, but there is one virtual certainty. If there is no credible alternative to stopping a nuclear Iran, then the Israelis will do it.
    --Check out the U.S. News national security blog DOTMIL.
    --Check out U.S. News Weekly: an insider's guide to politics and policy
    --Read Mort Zuckerman: Barack Obama's Middle East Miscalculation.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter -George Washington-
    All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing -Edmund Burke-
    supportwwp.org

4. Likes

brightgoo (03-26-2012)
    Private
    Dislike

In terms of military capability and intent I find Pakistan to be far more worrying than Iran, almost to the point that Iran isn't even worth thinking about.

1/ Not only does Pakistan already have a sizeable arsenal of nuclear weapons it has also shown that it is willing to trade the technology leading up to these weapons to our enemies.
    2/ Pakistan is much more politically unstable than Iran. Actual assassinations or attempted assassinations of leading political figures are commonplace in Pakistan. Some areas of the country are not even under the control of the central government.
    3/ Fundamentalist Islam is much more commonplace among the (poorer) people of Pakistan than it is in Iran.
    4/ We are already in a tepid (for want of a better word) war with Pakistan. Drone strikes are a daily occurrence with the Pakistani military at best turning a blind eye at worst assisting terrorists in evading our strikes.
    5/ Iran talks about killing us and uses its quaint great Satan imagery etc while Pakistan demonstrates its intent to the USA by deliberately hiding a terrorist responsible for the deaths of thousands of our civilians and sharing nuclear secrets (and perhaps its limited missile tech) with our enemies.

So tell me, why should i give a damn about Iran? Please bear in mind that i am american and not an israeli.

Warrant Officer
    Dislike

@Oak
    First welcome to AC as it looks like you are new here.

Second to your question why worry about iran? Let me say this before I respond ...I agree with everything you just said about pakistan they are not our ally and they are not to be trusted and like you said they should be viewed as an enemy for the proof that they certainly understood bin laden was living right there in there suburbs among them. I think the fact our government didnt give them notice that we would capture or kill bin laden as we did last year says that you and I are correct in our opinions on this matter.

Now to iran and let me say that iran isnt just a threat to America or Israel but to the world and they have been for a long time. iran sponsors terrorism more than any other country in the world in my opinion. You could make a case that they should have been target number one before a-stan and iraq. They are involved with terror globally with weapons, cash, man power etc. The recent news of them targeting Israelis in Thailand is proof on this point if someone wants proof.

They are supporting the Chechen terrorist that are killing and waring with the russians which is ironic as russia is allied with iran. I guess the saying "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" is what putin subscribes to.

Iran from their own words from their own mouths from their top religious leader the oyatollah and ahmedijad both publicly chant to the destruction of America and Jews. You have heard this I am sure.

My stance is it sounds like some people your self here are making an argument that we must focus on just one terrorist nation at a time. Well as you and I know and the world knows terrorist come from multiple nations in the world not excluding the United States. We must attack terrorism worldwide and must make war with terrorism ongoing. To say that the war in astan or iraq is over when it truly will never be over is lunacy by obama or anyone that makes that statement.

We will never see an end to terrorism and there has been terrorism for as long as well islam has been around. That is a method of war and tactic to their efforts to become a dominate ideology in the world.

So to clarify iran is important because two wrongs dont make a right. Yes pakistan has nukes and that is a danger if not today in the future with the trouble that country has politically and militarily. Not to be taken lightly you are correct.

Iran must not be allowed to arm itself with nukes because they are radical in politics and militarily already. They cannot be counted on to behave like pakistan has or north korea. The fact that those countries have nukes is not good and should make us nervous constantly. Look at the change of rule in North Korea with the new tub of shit. He could be coo coo for coco puffs and decide he is going to push his nuclear buttons on South Korea or some one else. Its just not something we can say hey we should trust iran give them a chance to show us they will not use nukes.

This is my opinion.
    supportwwp.org

7. Likes

brightgoo (03-26-2012)
    Warrant Officer
    Dislike

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national...u-too-1.419505

Coupled with Israel agreeing Iran hasn't even decided to make a nuke shows everyone needs to calm down before we get another country destroying war (and not just Iran)

Warrant Officer
    Dislike

Quote Originally Posted by gazzthompson View Post
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/national...u-too-1.419505

Coupled with Israel agreeing Iran hasn't even decided to make a nuke shows everyone needs to calm down before we get another country destroying war (and not just Iran)
    this is strategic flow of information....not always telling the truth to your enemies is a good idea.
    supportwwp.org

10. Likes

brightgoo (03-26-2012)
    Warrant Officer
    Dislike

A classified Pentagon war game this month forecast that an Israeli strike on Iran's nuclear facilities would likely draw the United States into a wider regional war in which hundreds of American forces could be killed, the New York Times reported Tuesday.
    The war games' results have "raised fears among top American planners that it may be impossible to preclude American involvement in any escalating confrontation with Iran," the Times Mark Mazzetti and Thom Shanker wrote.
    Defense experts said the reported war games results are another attempted warning signal to Israel not to go it alone or risk harming relations with the United States.
    "The apparent results of the war game reported by the Times suggest that it will be much more difficult than Israeli leaders assume to keep the United States out of the conflict," former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for the Middle East Colin Kahl told Yahoo News by email. "In the retaliatory spasm following an Israeli strike, the odds that Iranian actions and miscalculations could drag the United States military are substantial."
    The two-week war simulation exercise—dubbed "Internal Look"—was conducted by the U.S. Central Command in Tampa, Fla. It posited a scenario in which an Israeli strike on Iran's nuclear facilities led to Iran retaliating by striking a U.S. "Navy warship in the Persian Gulf, killing about 200 Americans," thus drawing the United States into the war, the Times' report said.
    "Internal Look" is designed to "refine the command's battle rhythm and assess the staff's ability to coordinate and communicate on a modern battlefield," U.S. Central Command spokesman Col. John Robinson told Yahoo News in an email Tuesday. The classified exercises took place between Feb. 26 and March 3 at the MacDill Air Force base in Florida and at some overseas locations, he said.
    But some former officials urged caution when interpreting the war games' reported results. "It's clear the administration believes an Israeli strike on Iran would be extremely problematic," Ken Pollack, a national security expert at the Brookings Institution Saban Center for Middle East studies and a former director for Persian Gulf affairs at the National Security Council, told Yahoo News in a telephone interview Tuesday. "But it is not at all clear that the game demonstrates that an Israeli strike could produce American casualties." Pollack, who has designed and directed many such war games, explained that the designers of the game could simply have created an Iranian attack on the U.S. Navy ship as a method for testing America's control system to see if it could handle it.
    The report on the war games comes as Israeli Defense Forces Chief of Staff Gen. Benny Gantz is in Washington for consultations. Meantime, the State Department's lead international Iran nuclear negotiator, Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman, is in Brussels Tuesday for meetings with her international counterparts to prepare for upcoming high-stakes talks with Iran over its nuclear program, a State Department official told Yahoo News Tuesday.
    supportwwp.org

12. Likes

brightgoo (03-26-2012),jamieooh (03-20-2012)
    Warrant Officer
    Dislike
    supportwwp.org

14. Likes

brightgoo (03-26-2012)
    Dislike

16. Likes

brightgoo (03-26-2012),eaglethebeagle (03-23-2012)
    Warrant Officer
    Dislike

America's most sophisticated stealth jet fighters have been quietly deployed to an allied base less than 200 miles from Iran's mainland, according to an industry report, but the Air Force adamantly denied the jets' presence is a threat to the Middle East nation.
    Multiple stealth F-22 Raptors, which have never been combat-tested, are in hangars at the United Arab Emirates' Al Dafra Air Base, just a short hop over the Persian Gulf from Iran's southern border, the trade publication Aviation Week reported.

Air Force spokesperson Lt. Col. John Dorrian would not confirm the exact location of the F-22s, but told ABC News they had been deployed to a base in Southwest Asia -- a region that includes the UAE. Dorrian also stressed that the F-22s were simply taking part in a scheduled deployment and are "not a threat to Iran."
    "This is a very normal deployment to strengthen military relationships, promote sovereign and regional security, improve combined tactical air operations and enhance interoperability of forces," Dorrian said.
    The F-22 has only been in the UAE once before for training missions in 2009 with "coalition partners."
    Dorrian declined to say what the Raptors' mission was in the region this time around or how many planes had been deployed, citing operational security. However, Dorrian said that because of the F-22's next-generation capabilities, any number of planes deployed to the region is "significant."

Though the F-22 has been officially combat operational since December 2005, no planes from the Air Force fleet -- which are made by defense contracting giant Lockheed Martin and cost an estimated $79 billion -- have seen combat. The plane was not used in Iraq, Afghanistan or in the U.S.-led no-fly mission over Libya. The Air Force has said the sophisticated jets simply haven't been needed yet.
    But Jeff Babione, Lockheed Martin's vice president for the F-22 program, told ABC News last year that the plane was "absolutely" suited for taking on more sophisticated adversaries and could be used in deep penetration strike missions in well-defended combat zones inside places like North Korea or Iran.

Air Force: F-22s Ready for War, Despite Mystery Problem
    The new deployment comes in the midst of the Air Forces' continuing battle with a rare but sustained oxygen problem plaguing the F-22. Since 2008, nearly two dozen pilots have reported experiencing "hypoxia-like symptoms" in mid-air. The problem got so bad that the Air Force grounded the planes for nearly five months last year in hopes of fixing the problem but never could.
    The service also does not know what caused the malfunction that cut off F-22 pilot Capt. Jeff Haney's oxygen shortly before he fatally crashed during a training mission in Alaska in 2010.
    But despite the ongoing issues, the Air Force says the F-22 is ready for war, should it be called.

"If our nation needs a capability to enter contested air space, to deal with air forces that are trying to deny our forces the ability to maneuver without prejudice on the ground, it will be the F-22 that takes on that mission," Air Force Maj. Gen. Noel Jones, Director of Operational Capability Requirements, said at a special briefing at the Pentagon in March. "It can do that right now and is able to do that without hesitation."
    The Al Dafra base is approximately 800 miles from the Iranian capital of Tehran, well within the range of the F-22, which can "supercruise" at one and a half times the speed of sound.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-stealth-fig...opstories.html
    supportwwp.org

18. Likes

brightgoo (04-28-2012)
    Warrant Officer
    Dislike

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — A prominent Iranian lawmaker says the reported basing of America's most sophisticated stealth jet fighters in the United Arab Emirates is a U.S.-Israel plot to create regional instability.
    Kazem Jalali was reacting to media reports of the recent deployment of F-22 Raptors at the UAE's Al Dafra Air Base, which has long hosted U.S. warplanes.
    The deployment was first reported in the journal Aviation Week, but U.S. and UAE officials have not publicly commented.
    Jalali was quoted by the semiofficial ISNA news agency Sunday.
    Tehran and Washington are at odds over Iran's nuclear program. The U.S. and Israel say Iran is seeking nuclear weapons, a charge Tehran denies. The two countries have not ruled out military action against Iranian facilities.
    supportwwp.org

Private
    Dislike

Free johnathon pollard!!!

21. >

The Following User Says disliked this post from sidewinder:

eaglethebeagle (04-30-2012)

Warrant Officer
    Dislike

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Free johnathon pollard!!!
    Really your a day late and a dollar short as well as its not productive to be a troll or try to be witty after they have performed the lobotomy.
    supportwwp.org

23. Likes

serpa6 (04-30-2012)
    Warrant Officer
    Dislike

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev warned on Thursday that military action against sovereign states could lead to a regional nuclear war, starkly voicing Moscow's opposition to Western intervention ahead of a G8 summit at which Syria and Iran will be discussed.
    "Hasty military operations in foreign states usually bring radicals to power," Medvedev, president for four years until Vladimir Putin's inauguration on May 7, told a conference in St. Petersburg in remarks posted on the government's website.
    "At some point such actions which undermine state sovereignty may lead to a full-scale regional war, even, although I do not want to frighten anyone, with the use of nuclear weapons," Medvedev said. "Everyone should bear this in mind."
    Medvedev gave no further explanation. Nuclear-armed Russia has said publicly that it is under no obligation to protect Syria if it is attacked, and analysts and diplomats say Russia would not get involved in military action if Iran were attacked.
    Russia has adamantly urged Western nations not to attack Iran to neutralize its nuclear program or intervene against the Syrian government over bloodshed in which the United Nations says its forces have killed more than 9,000 people.
    Medvedev will represent Russia at the Group of Eight summit in place of Putin, whose decision to stay away from the meeting in the United States was seen as muscle-flexing in the face of the West.
    Putin said previously that threats will only encourage Iran to develop nuclear weapons. Analysts have said that Medvedev also meant that regional nuclear powers such as Israel, Pakistan and India could get involved into a conflict.
    As president, Medvedev instructed Russia to abstain in a U.N. Security Council vote on a resolution that authorized NATO intervention in Libya, a decision Putin implicitly criticized when he likened the resolution to "medieval calls for crusades".
    Medvedev rebuked Putin for the remark, and some Kremlin insiders have said the confrontation over Libya was a factor in Putin's decision to return to the presidency this year instead of letting his junior partner seek a second term.
    Russia has since accused NATO of overstepping its mandate under the resolution to help rebels oust long-time leader Muammar Gaddafi, and has warned it will not let anything similar happen in Syria.
    Since Putin announced plans last September to seek a third presidential term and make Medvedev prime minister, Russia has vetoed two Security Council resolutions condemning Assad's government, one of which would have called on him to cede power.
    Russia's G8 liaison Arkady Dvorkovich said Russia will try to influence the final version of the G8 statement at a summit in Camp David this weekend to avoid a "one-sided" approach that would favor the Syrian opposition.
    "In the G8 final statement we would like to avoid the recommendations similar to those which were forced upon during the preparations of the U.N. Security Council resolutions," Dvorkovich said. "A one-sided signal is not acceptable for us."
    Russia successfully managed to water down the part of the statement on Syria at a G8 summit in France in May 2011, removing the calls for action against the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
    "We believe that the United Nations is the main venue to discussing such issues," Dvorkovich said.
    LAST APPEARANCE
    The G8 summit is likely to be the last appearance among all the leaders of industrialized nations for Medvedev, who embraced U.S. President Barack Obama's "reset", improving strained ties between the nations.
    Dvorkovich said Putin's absence from the summit, the first time a Russian president has skipped one, would not affect the outcome: "All the leaders, I saw their reaction, are ready to comprehensively work with the chairman of the government (Medvedev)."
    Dvorkovich said that at a bilateral meeting with U.S. President Barack Obama, Medvedev will raise opposition to attempts by some U.S. lawmakers to introduce legislation which will address human rights violations in Russia.
    Such legislation could take a form of the so-called Sergei Magnitsky bill, named after the Russian lawyer who died in prison in 2009. The Kremlin human rights council says he was probably beaten to death.
    The bill would require the United States to deny visas and freeze the assets of Russians or others with links to his detention and death as well as those who commit other human rights violations.
    "New legislation which will address new political issues as imagined by some U.S. congressmen or senators is unacceptable," Dvorkovich said, promising a retaliation.
    (Editing by Michael Roddy)

Oh Russia now it seems more clear why you are so against the missile defense system...... Funny how its ok for Russia to threaten a nuclear war while supporting iran and their nuclear ambitions while America talks about cutting 80% of our nukes....obama is clueless.
    supportwwp.org

Warrant Officer
    Dislike

UN agency finds higher enrichment at Iranian site
    By GEORGE JAHN | Associated Press – 54 mins ago
    Email
    Print
    RELATED CONTENT

World powers negotiators arrive …

EU Foreign Policy Chief Catherine …
    VIEW SLIDESHOWS

Hurricane Bud hits Mexico
    4 photos - 1 hr 9 mins ago

Snapshots
    216 photos - Tue, May 22, 2012

Soldiers between battles
    16 photos - 2 hrs 8 mins ago
    See latest photos
    VIENNA (AP) — Inspectors have located radioactive traces at an Iranian underground bunker, the U.N. atomic agency said Friday — a finding that could mean Iran has moved closer to reaching the uranium threshold needed to arm nuclear missiles.
    In a report obtained by The Associated Press, the International Atomic Energy Agency said it was asking Tehran for a full explanation. But the report was careful to avoid any suggestion that Iran was intentionally increasing the level of its uranium enrichment, noting that Tehran said a technical glitch was responsible.
    Analysts as well as diplomats who had told the AP of the existence of the traces before publication of the confidential report also said the higher-enriched material could have been a mishap involving centrifuges over-performing as technicians adjusted their output rather than a dangerous step toward building a bomb.
    Still, the finding was bound to resonate among the 35 IAEA board members for whom the report was prepared, among them the six world powers that had just concluded talks with Iran on its enrichment activities. The negotiations in Baghdad left the two sides still far apart over how to oversee Tehran's atomic program but resolved to keep dialogue going next month in Moscow as an alternative to possible military action.
    The report also expressed in opaque terms what diplomats accredited to the IAEA first started mentioning more than a month ago: The agency fears a massive cleanup under way at buildings at the Parchin military complex southeast of Tehran. The site is suspected of housing a pressure chamber and related equipment used to test ways of detonating a nuclear charge.
    "Based on satellite imagery at this location ... the buildings of interest to the agency are now subject to extensive activities that could hamper the agency's ability to undertake effective verification" at the site, said the report. Separately, a senior international official familiar with the issue said satellite photos showed trucks at the site and streams of liquid suggesting the interiors were being hosed down to wash away evidence of possible nuclear-related work.
    The report said that over the past five months the agency had "obtained more information" buttressing its suspicions about the Parchin site, which it has asked repeatedly to visit, only to be turned down by Iran.
    On enrichment, the six world powers trying to engage Iran are already concerned about its output of uranium at the 20 percent level because material that high can be turned into weapons-grade much more quickly than its main, low-enriched stockpile.
    The higher the enrichment, the easier it becomes to re-enrich uranium to warhead quality at 90 percent. As a result, the finding of traces at 27 percent at the Fordo enrichment plant in central Iran sparked international interest.
    Iran denies any plans to possess nuclear weapons but has for years declined offers of reactor fuel from abroad, including more recent inducements of 20-percent material if it stops producing at that level. The Islamic Republic says it wants to continue producing 20 percent uranium to fuel its research reactor and for medical purposes.
    But its refusal to accept foreign offers has increased fears it may want to turn its enrichment activities toward producing such arms. The concerns have been fed by IAEA suspicions that Iran has experimented on components of an atomic arms program — suspicions Tehran also denies.
    The report cited a May 9 letter from Iranian officials suggesting any enrichment at 27 percent was inadvertent. The letter said the particles were produced "above the target value" and could have been for "technical reasons beyond the operator's control."
    David Albright, whose Washington-based Institute for Science and International Security looks for signs of proliferation, said a new configuration at Fordo means it tends to "overshoot 20 percent" at the start.
    "Nonetheless, embarrassing for Iran," he wrote in an email to the AP.
    Mark Fitzpatrick, director of the Non-Proliferation and Disarmament Program of the International Institute for Strategic Studies, described such a surge as a "naturally occurring development," adding that "it's very usual to go above envisaged enrichment levels at startups of centrifuges.
    In Washington, State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said "there are a number of possible explanations for this, including the one that the Iranians have provided. But we are going to depend on the IAEA to get to the bottom of it."
    Others were more skeptical.
    "It's not surprising because they have the technology," a senior Israeli defense official said.
    "Iran doesn't intend to stop its nuclear weapon program, and the fact that they are at 27 percent shows the Iranian intentions," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not allowed to speak with the media.
    International concerns have increased since Iran started higher enrichment at Fordo, which is carved into a mountain to make it impervious to attack. Israel and the United States have not ruled out using force as a last option if diplomacy fails to curb the Islamic Republic's nuclear program.
    Iran already has about 700 centrifuges churning out 20-percent enriched uranium at Fordo. The report noted that although Iran has set up about 350 more centrifuges since late last year at the site, these machines are not enriching.
    While the reason for that could be purely technical, it could also be a signal from Tehran that it is waiting for progress in the negotiations.
    The latest attempt to persuade Iran to compromise ended inconclusively Thursday after two days of talks in Baghdad. The six world powers — the United States, Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany — failed to persuade Tehran to freeze its 20 percent enrichment.
    Iran, for its part, failed to persuade the West to scale back on recently toughened sanctions, which have targeted Iran's critical oil exports and have effectively blackballed the country from international banking networks. The 27-nation European Union is set to ban all Iranian fuel imports on July 1, shutting the door on about 18 percent of Iran's market.
    But the IAEA report did detail some progress in separate talks between the U.N. nuclear agency and Iran that the agency hopes will re-launch a long-stalled probe into the suspicions that Tehran has worked on nuclear-weapons related experiments.
    The report said that since 2002, the IAEA "has become increasingly concerned about the possible existence in Iran of undisclosed nuclear-related activities involving military-related organizations, including activities related to the development of a nuclear payload."
    Without more openness on the part of Iran, said the report, the IAEA "cannot conclude that all nuclear material in Iran is in peaceful activities."
    ___
    AP writer Ian Deitch in Jerusalem contributed this report.
    supportwwp.org