PDA

View Full Version : Need advice please read! Joining the army

robertjordan21
08-11-2010, 07:18 PM
ok so i went to the recruiters last week and i talked to them, they told me i didnt need a high asvab score saying it really didnt matter idk maybe u guys can tell me differnt but anyways i thought about going 19 delta cav/scout or 11 bravo, does anyone have any advice on these two MOS? or maybe some good suggestions on other MOS?

cavscout79
08-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Don't worry about your ASVAB score unless you want to try out for SFAS or Rangers. You will need a min GT of 110 to even try to get into those programs.

Hrm...Cav Scout or Infantry?

You do realize that God loves the Cav don't ya?

I might be a bit biased but here is a little about what Scouts do:

Scout Training:
Scout Training will be difficult for the average person, but compared to what a deployment is like or even an extended field exercise, it is cake. Honestly, getting along with your fellow trainees will be the most difficult part of the whole ordeal. Do yourself a favor and go to training already in shape. You will suffer horribly if you are a fat body. We had about 10% of guys get chaptered for injuries and failure to adapt. It is definitely not for everyone. It is also very long compared to other Combat Arms training. Infantry is a 14 week OSUT, while Scout OSUT is 19 weeks.

Airborne Option:
Yes, you can request Airborne. Remember that there is at least one scout platoon in every infantry battalion. This includes the Light and Airborne Units. If don’t need any waivers you should be able to get Airborne pretty easy.

Action:
I love it when people ask this question. If you want people to try to kill you and watch your friends get killed, you will have plenty of opportunity for that. The mission for the scout in Iraq and in Afghanistan (for the most part) is the same as the infantry. You will be patrolling, conducting hard and soft raids, and performing various other missions. Occasionally (depending on your assignment) you will have to be on an SKT (small kill team). Not as glamorous as it sounds and more often than not, boring as hell. The majority of your time (a private’s time) will be spent cleaning, guard duty, and vehicle/weapons maintenance. Trust me when I say that “action” is horrible, but every private can’t wait to get into the suck. Part of the territory. Stop playing so many video games and start PTing!

Schools

Scouts are able to go to any or all of those schools, but with the operational tempo the way it is, you would be lucky to get into one of those schools. That is after you get to your duty station. You can get Airborne in your enlistment contract, which would guarantee you a slot in the school.

Ranger School - depending on the unit, there will be slots available for scouts, but they are very limited and given to only the most deserving soldiers. Generally E-5 or greater.

Airborne - Get it in your contract or as a re-enlistment incentive.

Air Assault - Best chance is as a re-enlistment incentive.

Pathfinder - Good luck. Only crusty old 1SG have this badge.

Recon Leaders Course - Officers and Senior NCOs only

Bradley Master Gunner Course - E-6 or greater. From what I hear one of the hardest schools in the Army. HUGH washout rate.

Sniper school - is absolutely open to Cavalry Scouts. Every Scout unit has to be self sufficient. My troop had snipers, forward observers, light and heavy wheels, and a mortar section. A Scout Troop has to be able to accomplish the same (or harder) missions as an infantry company, while also performing a reconnaissance element. With this in mind, scouts are given a ridiculous amount of school slots. Scout Squadrons are allotted slots in everything from Sniper School, Airborne, Air Assault, and even Ranger School. Just be prepared that you might need to re-enlist to get these slots. That is unless you are a super stud! We had a PFC that was so high speed that not only did he make SGT in two years, he also got ranger school as a SPC, which is unheard of outside of a Ranger Battalion.

cavscout79
08-11-2010, 08:15 PM
By the look of your avatar you have already made up your mind! Good job trooper! And don't ever say Hooah...it is gay

robertjordan21
08-11-2010, 09:05 PM
lol i just looked at my avatar i had no idea it was that i never made it that lmao. im going army. wow thanks so much cavscout all of this really really help me. I was told not to go to 19 delta due to the high death rate but same could also be said about infantry. This helpt alot on whether mos i choose. btw why is Bradley Master Gunner Course so difficult and such a high drop rate??

MickDonalds
08-12-2010, 02:00 AM
Here's my suggestion:

Take scout right away.

If in 8 years time you get burned out and want something more analytical and civil affairs minded, let me know. I can tell you all about Combat Engineering.

cavscout79
08-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Jordan, It was nice talking to you last night! You seem like a good kid. Good luck! Oh and don't worry about Bradley Master Gunner Course. That is for E6 and above. It has such a high wash out rate because the testing is so difficult. Most people have to retake at least one test even if they pass it.

DefensorFortis
08-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Here's my suggestion:

Take scout right away.

If in 8 years time you get burned out and want something more analytical and civil affairs minded, let me know. I can tell you all about Combat Engineering.

Can you tell me about combat engineering? I haven't gone to basic yet and I know that I'll want to do something other than just 11 bravo.

MickDonalds
08-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Can you tell me about combat engineering? I haven't gone to basic yet and I know that I'll want to do something other than just 11 bravo.

It's definately a jack-of-trades as far as the ARMY goes. You can choose 12B or 12C, and both receive basic demolition training, but 12C's build modular bridges and get to play around with some cool machinery and equipment.
When you deploy as a 12C, you'll be around water. It's one of the 3 or 4 ARMY MOS' that guarantees your ass will spend time in a body of water somewhere, most likely on a boat. It's a dirty, wet job but it's alot of fun. 12C also includes a Recon element, which I have spent the last 3 years in. Basically, we go out ahead of the rest of the company and clear the route, provide intel on bridges and obstacles, talk to local security elements/local nationals (the Civil Affairs portion of the job) and provide security while the rest of the company builds/repairs/removes a bridge or clears an obstacle. You know the Navy Seal/SOF type of rubber assault boats? Oh yeah, we've got those. I'm not bragging, but just having that vital piece of assault/stealth equipment has lent me into some AWESOME missions with certain types of units I'm not authorized to discuss, lol. There's a lot of potential in this field, and 12C's are ALWAYS rewarded from the top brass on down, because bridge companies are a "Corps Level Asset", and generals FIGHT to get missions in their areas so they can look good, and later reward the unit responsible. On paper it looks like any old construction MOS, but while deployed, it's a whole 'nother ballgame. Out of being in both MOS', 12C is more rewarding. Having local Iraqis clap and cheer after you've completed a bridge that lessens the 9 mile hike for them to cross the Euphrates River makes it worth it. Having people give you hugs with tears in their eyes for building a bridge over an existing, but dangerous bridge to lessen traffic is rewarding for sure.
12B is cool, but it's become less of an "assault" MOS than it used to be. Nowadays, most 12B units are doing route clearance, which has it's ups and downs. The advantage of 12B is that you're basically a smarter, more useful version of an 11B. You're guaranteed to have vehicles, which will be MRAPs/M-ATV's and you won't have to hump everywhere. You'll get to pull alot of security and occasionally work with demo, but nowadays, EOD is doing most of the demo work.

masada
08-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Don't know much about the U.S military, so this post is a bit of a waste of space lol. But I just want to congratulate you on your choice and wish you luck. The military isn't for everyone, I found it too constricting. Contract work is much less strict and you have more freedoms, plus the money is much better- however you generally need military experience to even considered. Think about that after your term of service. Anyway, hope you get in, do some good work, and don't get blown up. And don't expect too much...The military is generally 90% boredom and hard work, 7% apphrehension and nervousness, and 3% total exhileration.

robertjordan21
08-12-2010, 07:17 PM
thanks guys for all of the help it means alot and ill look into the combat engineering, thanks again mike for helping me out and taking the time to talk to me yesterday on the phone im excited to join and very nervous at the same time but i know ill be in good hands with the army thank you all of you for your advice

marleynrs8
08-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey Robert, I'm in your shoes man. I'm sure you heard just about everything you needed to hear by talking to them, but just keep in mind Cavalry Scouts are mainly used for reconnaissance, not direct action like the Infantry. The job of the Infantry is to locate, close with, and destroy the enemy. Cav Scout gets a little more complicated in regards to its texbook mission, I've been told there is so much info to absorb during Cav Scout OSUT, from calls to fire(one of the few jobs where a PVT can call in an air strike/artillery) to driving Bradleys to doing Infantry stuff. As a Cav Scout you will do more "secret squirrel" things, because you could potentially be behind enemy lines as a part of a small unit reporting the enemy's location, size, armament, etc. The point of these missions is not to be seen. However, in the current wars, like is said by cavscout79, you will be pretty much doing Infantry stuff, which in my opinion is good(you have the skills to do all the Scout stuff, but also get the chance to engage the enemy decisively). Either options great, you can do each other's jobs in each MOS(Infantry has their own scout platoons who work with Cav Scouts), but you will likely have many more skillsets and mission variety as a Cav Scout.

ghst
08-17-2010, 07:05 PM
i suggest going 11B with a RIP contract. from there u can go on to be in a recce platoon if your so interested in recon