PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Man Charged in Terrorism Plot

bobdina
08-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Chicago Man Charged in Terrorism Plot
August 05, 2010
Chicago Tribune

A Chicago man was arrested on charges that he was about to travel overseas to fight alongside al-Qaida, possibly even to carry out a suicide bombing, federal authorities said Wednesday.

Shaker Masri, 26, a U.S. citizen who lived in a Gold Coast high-rise, was ordered held without bail by a federal judge as a danger and a flight risk.

A criminal complaint charged Masri with knowingly attempting to provide material support to al-Qaida and a second terrorist group based in Somalia and affiliated with al-Qaida.

Click here to find out more!
An informant who played a key role in the investigation was instructed by the FBI to befriend Masri almost two years ago, according to the charges. Authorities didn't explain why Masri was targeted at that point.

Masri made coded references to his desire to carry out a suicide bombing overseas in secretly recorded telephone conversations with a love interest in London, the complaint stated.

On learning of Masri's intentions to become a martyr, the woman appeared to end their long-distance relationship, according to the charges.

"Do you know, like, how much this will affect me?" the undisclosed woman was quoted in the complaint as telling Masri last month. "Do you even realize?"

"Life is not worth living for me," Masri allegedly said moments later. "This is something beyond your control or my control."

Dressed in an orange federal jumpsuit and blue canvas sneakers, the long-bearded Masri gave brief responses to a number of questions posed Wednesday by Judge Geraldine Soat Brown during an appearance in federal court that lasted about 15 minutes. "Yeah, I do," he said when the judge asked if he understood the penalties he faced.

Authorities said Masri had been scheduled to fly out of Midway Airport for Los Angeles on Wednesday morning.

According to the complaint, the informant has assisted the FBI in counterterrorism efforts for almost three years. As of last month, he had been paid $40,000 to $45,000 for his help and expenses.

In the fall of 2008, FBI agents asked the informant to meet Masri, who was then working for a nonprofit organization that provided free English translations of the Quran to individuals throughout the United States. The informant met Masri at a book warehouse run by the foundation in Addison, and the two subsequently became friends, according to the charges.

In numerous recorded conversations with the informant, Masri advocated what authorities called "an extremist and violent interpretation of Islam."

Masri called America and Europe enemies of Islam and referred to suicide bombers as "martyrs," the complaint stated.

Just two weeks ago, Masri first told the informant of his "secret and dangerous" plans to travel to Afghanistan or Somalia to engage in jihadist fighting. He asked the informant to help him find a job so that he could earn enough money for airfare.

Masri told the informant he did not expect to live to the age of 30.

Click here to find out more!
While the complaint details Masri's alleged commitment to join an armed insurgency, he often appears unprepared, frequently changing his travel plans and uncertain about how to proceed.

At one point, Masri asked the informant if he could receive firearms training in Mexico, explaining that he wanted to learn to shoot and kill, the complaint said.

Authorities believe Masri was working alone, hoping he would somehow link up with terrorist operatives once overseas, a source said.

The complaint stated that Masri last spoke with his love interest late last week, saying that he had found peace but wanted to stay a part of her life despite his quest for martyrdom.

"Don't start over again," she said in an apparent bid to not rekindle the relationship. "You already made it clear what you wanted."

"I know I did," Masri said.

Toki
08-05-2010, 02:52 PM
MypetJawa has the whole saga on their site.