PDA

View Full Version : opinions of a H&K 416, from a Norwegian.

gazzthompson
08-03-2010, 05:42 PM
As most of you know, Norway recently brought the 416 to replace its AG3's. I happen to know a Norwegian conscript who had been issued the 416, here is his opinion on the weapon:

Original message:

TBH, my issued 416 ain't all that great, no matter what "Future Weapons" claims. ;)

Elaboration:

the gas regulator sometimes tends to change modes during firing, causing the bolt to not go far enough back to pick up another round - basically turning your fully-automatic 416 into a single-shot, bolt-operated rifle. A gas regulator that there was no need for to begin with, as far as I can see (though maybe the sneaky-beakies might find some use for it if they use suppressors). With thorough cleaning, the problem should be minimal.

If you get the slightest bit of moisture in the weapon - say, if you keep the rifle by your side in a warm tent, then go outside, causing any condensation to freeze - the bolt tends to freeze in place so hard you can't even pry it open with a screwdriver (saw a guy try that trick once *cringe*). Only solution is to warm the rifle up and dry it completely, then assemble it again. Bit of a problem if you have have a full mag in, but no chambered round and have to cock it to get into the fight. Or the first shot fired doesn't get the bolt loose (never seen anyone try to actually fire their rifle to clear ice). This means the rifle will have to be stored outside the whole time.
Snow in the rifle can and will give you the same result. Bit of a problem in a country where it tends to snow in winter.
Apparently (so the instructors tell us) the gun oil we use tends to cause the rifle to freeze as well, meaning you have to fire it un-lubed in cold weather. Not good for wear and tear. Strange, too, considering that we lubed the AG3 as heck to keep it functioning in winter. The oil will keep condensation from forming and freezing, as it has a much lower freezing point than water. Will test this winter.

If you mount optics on the handguard, you will lose zero every time you disassemble your rifle. This is because the screw that's used to mount the handguard is tightened by hand, and not to a certain tension like the Aimpoint mounting screw (which will just "click" when tightened enough). Thus, the handguard screw is never tightened the same, and loss of zero ensues. Despite this obvious flaw, initially it was recommended to mount the Aimpoint on the handguard. Which, by the way, needs to be removed to clean the gas system. So you will lose zero every time you clean your rifle if you mount it that way.

The gas system tends to blow dirty carbon and gas onto the inside of the handguard, so if you don't clean that properly, you can have problems removing the handguard over time. It does the same to the foldable front sight if you shoot lots and keep it down, so that eventually you can't actually get the front sight up again.

The buttstock is rather wide, meaning you can experience problems with getting the rifle properly shouldered when wearing kit such as combat vests, body armour, rucksacks and so on. The "release handle" to extend/collapse it is also somewhat difficult to handle with thick mittens on, as it sinks into the buttstock instead of being external like on the M4 and similar weapons. The cap on the end of it also tends to come loose with wear - I've heard of people having it fall off when crawling and running about.

The rear sight, being removable, can come off. If you bump into things or get it stuck on something in the right way, you'll pull on the side of it, causing it to come loose and possibly fall off.

Rail guards aren't issued with the rifle. The one I've got issued to me now actually has chips in the rails from abuse.

The front sling mount - which screws onto the handguard rails - is tightened by hand, meaning it sometimes comes loose and falls off. The "head" that the sling is attached to is supposed to be rotating, but tends to get stuck. Single-point sling is the way to go.

The pistol grip is too thin, and has this horrible protrusion that tends to rub on your middle finger, in my case causing sores and blisters that are pretty uncomfortable.

The piston and charging handle aren't connected in any way, meaning that if the piston should jam, you can't fix it by pulling the handle - you have to disassemble your rifle. Never heard of that problem, but it's a theoretical one.

The cleaning rod also tends to break - and there aren't a lot of spares around - and the copper brush for the barrel gets worn out fairly quickly - not a lot of spare brushes either.

Oh, and all the accessories like mag pouches, BFAs etc. were, from what I've heard, separate projects from the rifle itself, meaning that I'm currently issued one (!) MOLLE mag pouch (which doesn't work all that well with the CVS mounting system on the issued vest), and only the more professional units actually get their hands on BFAs. The rest of us either have to cock our rifles manually for every round or shout "bang!" a lot.

Just some issues that I can come up with from the top of my head. It's a decent rifle, and reliable enough. But it's not z0mG1337DeltaSEALaweshum like Future Weapons fanboys might claim, IMHO. Basically, if maintained properly and not abused too much (and you might want to add some rail guards, a new pistol grip and buttstock, TMBN style), it won't jam on you.

Of course this is his "opinion" so yeah, take it as you will but i figured some of you might be interested.

death2mooj
08-03-2010, 07:37 PM
A rather detailed opinion though.......doesn't bother me any though, rifle never seemed special. Just a m4 with a piston in it