PDA

View Full Version : One soldier and his dog in Afghanistan

bobdina
08-02-2010, 12:14 AM
One soldier and his dog in Afghanistan
A Military Operations news article

30 Jul 10

Two-year-old Belgian Shepherd Espen and his handler Sergeant Tom Moir are currently deployed to Helmand for six months searching for improvised explosive devices and saving the lives of countless soldiers.

Espen, who is a Malinois breed, is on his first deployment and he is helping safeguard soldiers' lives at Forward Operating Base (FOB) Shawqat in Nad 'Ali.

With his sense of smell being approximately 43 times stronger than a human's, he is ideal for searching for IEDs and was specially procured for the operation.

When Espen is out on the ground working with the troops, his daily work routine is dependent upon the tasks being undertaken and what the troops have found on patrol, but he is typically involved in providing invaluable assistance by clearing routes so troops can pass safely.

When not on patrol, Espen doesn't have it easy; his daily routine whilst in the FOB starts at 0530hrs when he wakes up and goes for a walk and has his breakfast.

Following a short break he is then happy to go on his daily physical training to maintain his fitness levels and ability to work in the conditions out in Nad 'Ali.

He runs approximately two miles (three kilometres) each day, whilst it is still cool enough in the morning, and in the early evening he hones his senses and smells so he is able to do his job well.

Espen and Sergeant Moir have formed an extremely close bond and even sleep next to each other under a mosquito net.

Sergeant Moir said:

"I am pleased with the way his training is progressing up to the operational standards and I feel safe with him in front of me searching."

After spending eight years in the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, Sergeant Moir transferred to the Royal Army Veterinary Corps and now works with Espen in 102 Squadron, part of the 1st Military Working Dog Regiment based in Sennelager, Germany.

As this is Sergeant Moir's second deployment to Afghanistan, he is fully aware of how the heat can affect Espen's performance:

"This is different from the last time I was in Afghanistan, since the heat is very oppressive," he said. "However, with careful management Espen can work to his peak performance during the day."

Nad 'Ali, where Espen and Sergeant Moir are based, was one of the areas included in Operation MOSHTARAK, the first phase of which began in February this year.

The operation was carried out to extend the authority of the Afghan Government in central Helmand, removing the largest remaining safe havens in the area for the Taliban.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/OneSoldierAndHisDogInAfghanistan.htm