PDA

View Full Version : Police of Arizona's vast open prison for immigrants. Yes, Yes, Yes.

ianstone
07-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Police, activists prepare days ahead of Ariz. law

7/27/2010, 2:58 p.m. PDT JONATHAN J. COOPER
The Associated Press
(AP) — PHOENIX - The sheriff of Arizona's most populous county is making room in a vast outdoor jail and determined to round up illegal immigrants to fill it. Police from the U.S.-Mexico border to the Grand Canyon are getting last-minute training. And protests and marches are planned throughout Phoenix.
Arizona's new immigration law takes effect Thursday, creating a potentially volatile mix of police, illegal immigrants and thousands of activists, many planning to show up without identification as a show of solidarity.
At least one group plans to block access to federal offices, daring officers to ask them their immigration status.

http://ads.oregonlive.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_lx.ads/www.oregonlive.com/xml/story/ap/__/L18/1255259619/StoryAd/OREGONLIVE/Spacer_OR_RoS_02/Spacer_SpanMJX.html/567041394a457850666d6b414444652b?_RM_EMPTY_&

"Our message for that day is: 'Don't comply, don't buy,'" said activist Liz Hourican, whose group, CodePink, plans to block the driveway for immigration offices in downtown Phoenix.
As both sides prepare, a federal judge is deciding whether to step in and block the law. It requires officers enforcing other laws to check a person's immigration status if they suspect the person is in the country illegally. It also bans illegal immigrants from soliciting work in a public place.
Police across the state scrambled on Tuesday to train officers, including on how to avoid racial profiling, and plan for a potential influx of detainees.
The hardest-line approach is expected in the Phoenix area, where Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio plans his 17th crime and immigration sweep. He plans to hold the sweep, regardless of any ruling by U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton.
Arpaio, known for his tough stance against illegal immigration, plans to send about 200 deputies and volunteers out, looking for traffic violators, people wanted on criminal warrants and others. He's used that tactic before to arrest dozens of people, many of them illegal immigrants.
"We don't wait. We just do it," he said. "If there's a new law out, we're going to enforce it."
He said that the space he made in the complex of military surplus tents can handle 100 people, and that he will find room for more if necessary.
Police, activists prepare days ahead of Ariz. law

Page 2 of 2

Elsewhere in the state, police officials said they didn't expect any dramatic events. They were busy wrapping up training sessions this week, with some agencies saying that untrained officers will not be allowed on the streets.
Many of the state's 15,000 police officers have been watching a DVD released this month that signs that might indicate a person is an illegal immigrant are speaking poor English, looking nervous or traveling in an overcrowded vehicle. It warned that race and ethnicity do not.
Some agencies added extra materials, including a test, a role-playing exercise or a question-and-answer session with prosecutors.

http://ads.oregonlive.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_lx.ads/www.oregonlive.com/xml/story/ap/__/L18/96204895/StoryAd/OREGONLIVE/Spacer_OR_RoS_08/Spacer_SpanMJX.html/567041394a457850666d6b414444652b?_RM_EMPTY_&

Critics of the law among police chiefs remain, saying that the law is so vague that no amount of training could eliminate potential confusion.
"Am I going to sit here and say I think every officer has a clear understanding of the law when they leave the training?" Tucson Police Chief Roberto Villasenor said. "No, because I think the law is poorly constructed."
Arizona's law gives police two options to confirm whether a detainee is an illegal immigrant.
Virginia Kice, a spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, declined to comment on preparations or the role federal authorities would play in enforcing the law, except to say ICE "focuses first on criminal aliens who pose a threat to our communities."
Arpaio vowed to arrest all illegal immigrants and make them spend time in his jail. Other police officials said they'd try to get the Border Patrol involved as often as possible to avoid the time and cost of booking the detainees into jail.
Prosecutors are also preparing for a potential influx of cases. They are reminding officers that they are required to explain the circumstances of the original stop, why they suspected the person was an illegal immigrant and any comments made by the suspect.
A march from the state Capitol is planned at 4:30 a.m., followed by a prayer service, a rally outside Arpaio's office and later that afternoon a concert outside a Maricopa County jail, according to the Los Angeles-based National Day Laborer Organizing Network.
The protesters both from Arizona and elsewhere plan to show up without identification and hold peaceful rallies.
"It's defiance, to see if they want to come and arrest those people," said Pablo Alvarado, the executive director of the NDLON. "We dare them to come and ask."
___
Associated Press writer Jacques Billeaud contributed to this report.

death2mooj
07-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Tents are cheap and land is plentiful

perocity
07-27-2010, 11:41 PM
It's good they have choices now, get rounded up or shot.

DefensorFortis
07-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Fuck CodePink! God, first they want to fuck around with the USMC and call their recruiters "foreign occupiers", next they want to make sure all the illegals stay in country so they can take up every job available.

Good for Arizona, if the federal government wants to keep playing with their dicks and ignore the fact the drug war is spilling on our side of the border, just let the states handle the problem themselves.

I love on the news how they keep showing that video of the illegal immigrant girl crying about how she doesn't want to get deported. I'd like the news to show a video of a crying kidnapping victim who was kidnapped by illegal immigrants working for the Mexican drug cartels. Maybe that would open up people's eyes to the fact that it's no surprise why crime in the border states is so bad.

Illegal immigrant jumps the fence. Illegal immigrant can't find any work in the USA because of recession. Illegal immigrant finds out cartel brothers from the south are in the States and they need some "work" to be "done". Illegal works for cartels in USA and helps kidnap Americans and holds them for ransom. Illegal gets paid big bucks.

WAKE UP AMERICA! OUR BORDERS ARE BROKEN! THEY NEED TO BE FIXED JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE'S BORDERS!

wormhole
07-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Fuck CodePink! God, first they want to fuck around with the USMC and call their recruiters "foreign occupiers", next they want to make sure all the illegals stay in country so they can take up every job available.

Good for Arizona, if the federal government wants to keep playing with their dicks and ignore the fact the drug war is spilling on our side of the border, just let the states handle the problem themselves.

I love on the news how they keep showing that video of the illegal immigrant girl crying about how she doesn't want to get deported. I'd like the news to show a video of a crying kidnapping victim who was kidnapped by illegal immigrants working for the Mexican drug cartels. Maybe that would open up people's eyes to the fact that it's no surprise why crime in the border states is so bad.

Illegal immigrant jumps the fence. Illegal immigrant can't find any work in the USA because of recession. Illegal immigrant finds out cartel brothers from the south are in the States and they need some "work" to be "done". Illegal works for cartels in USA and helps kidnap Americans and holds them for ransom. Illegal gets paid big bucks.

WAKE UP AMERICA! OUR BORDERS ARE BROKEN! THEY NEED TO BE FIXED JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE'S BORDERS!

This is a political issue, and the law and common sense have very little to do with it. Either way it is decided, it will be decided for political reasons.

Mexicans in the USA by nearly 3 to 1, say they're Democrats - so of course CodePink wants more of them to irrevocably diminish the power of gun-loving warrior white males found on Apache Clips to impotent relics of the past.

DefensorFortis
07-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Yes... I do love guns, I am in the future soldiers program, I am white, and you can find me on Apache Clips. Yes... All of this nonsense is a political issue, but more exactly an issue involving Washington politics, so of course it will have no common sense and the law will be sidelined by political correctness.

Yes, my comment was a little off color and unusual for even myself, but please don't say you oppose SB 1070 or for that matter any attempt to secure our borders.