PDA

View Full Version : Marine Impersonator Taken Into Custody

bobdina
07-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Marine Impersonator Taken Into Custody
July 27, 2010
UPI

An Arizona man convicted in absentia of fraud and forgery after his past as a U.S. Marine was revealed as a fabrication was taken into custody in California.

Authorities said John Rodriguez, 31, of Scottsdale had claimed to be a decorated Marine sergeant and used the lie to gain access to military bases, obtain discounts on airline tickets and attend the Marine Corps Ball in Las Vegas, The Arizona Republic reported Monday.
Rodriguez posted $5,400 bail after his arrest and failed to show up for court hearings, leading him to be convicted in absentia earlier this month of 12 felony counts of fraud and forgery. Most of the counts carry prison sentences of 2 to 3 years.

Authorities said Rodriguez was found by California detectives near Lake Tahoe this month and taken into custody.

Prosecutors said Rodriguez's ruse began to fall apart when former Marine Dan Ryan became suspicious of his Navy Cross award during a winter 2008 Republican committee meeting.

"I'm very, very sensitive about the Navy Cross. I happen to have written one of the citations for the Marine who was killed right next to me in 1967 in Vietnam in a firefight," Ryan said.

MickDonalds
07-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Bu-bu-bu-bu-busted!!

He won't do much for time, but his record is now RUINED.

That's what you get for being a Poser.

ianstone
07-27-2010, 05:11 PM
That is really good news guys