PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys stay in touch with your civilian friends from long ago?

DefensorFortis
07-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Last weekend I had a small party with a few of my friends as a little farewell to me before I ship off to One Station Unit Training.

Later that night, I realized just how much I was going to miss my friends and to top it off I have no clue where I'm going to be next year, let alone the next few years.

I was thinking about giving in finally and follow the crowd and get a face book account. But I'm just curious how all of our currently serving members on AC have kept in touch with civilian friends from years back.

bobdina
07-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Well I'm no longer serving but after my leave after reporting to my first duty station (1 year away) either I had changed or they did and I only really stayed friends with one guy.That went away after about 5 years too.Trust me you see people in a different light after being with military men for a long time. I have however stayed in touch with a couple of guy's from my first unit. Now that's just me maybe I'm really fucked.

Sixx
07-26-2010, 03:39 PM
I had the same thoughts as you when I had my farewell party.

The answer:
Simply you don't.
I know it may seem harsh, but it's life.

I tried to keep in touch with all of my friends once I was enlisted. Half of em' are dead(they went into the Army) the rest went to prison or committed suicide. 9/11 ruined everything for me.
I did not live a normal life or have normal friends though....the ones that are still around I really don't want to associate with them due to their lifestyle. The military opened my eyes and gave me morals that they lack.

But I do know this. Once you enlist and get settled at your first duty station it's full speed ahead, it will be hard to keep past friendships going....consider yourself being in a different world or dimension.
Even with social networking it'll be hard to keep old friendships tight.

Try your best...you might succeed at it. But I'd focus on your career and training, you'll make plenty of good friends while serving.
It's a new chapter in your life bro.

Also I will admit while I was serving I hated civilians and civilian lifestyles.

ianstone
07-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Becoming forces personnel changes you to a more independent minded person, your mindset broadens and you meet a plethora of forces colleges from all countries.
Even your views on your relatives change. Old servicemen suffer fools badly, which complicates things as at the end of your service you want to settle down. You have become distant to most of your family and old friends. If like me you no longer have anyone other than a sister, other retiring ex forces chase there retirement dreams. It is a god awful lonely place. My only saving grace is that is get on exceptionally well with sister and her family, and there is a pub/bar where I go far to often and have a few pints. My health and well being leave a lot to be desired and I struggle. My old civilian friends are long gone some are resentful of my escape from utter boredom. My Army friends are long gone all except one who is like a brother, other than 3 guys in the pub that I share a yarn with thats all the people, at 56 thats fairly crap.
I do not complain nor do think I'm hard done to, I just live each day as it comes and be thankful for the quality of those I share my life with.

Don't force a friendship old or new, fate will take it's course it always does

Well thats my opinion for what it's worth

DefensorFortis
07-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Thank you very much for the advice guys I appreciate it a lot. It kind of opened up my eyes, seeing how a lot of you haven't heard from friends in old units let alone civilian friends.

Thanks also for reminding me to get back on track to what I should focus on. Hell, I don't even know if my friends will make a effort to get a hold of me in the future or if they'll even want to.

ianstone
07-27-2010, 05:34 AM
Do not be disheartened, or wonder if, simply go with flow and I swear very soon buddies to have fun with will come along.
The glass is half full and you will be fine, it is one of many dry spots in your career when you think what if, don't,
head down the glass is half full. Fate will guide your life and you will be alright. You will know there are friends, and there are friends.
PM if you think i can help , Gods speed and take care.