PDA

View Full Version : Kids they know which buttons to press, bless them.

ianstone
07-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Our dads are amazing,
They are wickedly cool and strong,
They go to war and fix the tanks,
We are sad when they are gone

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01091/SNF2424_01_1091718a.jpg Dad's cheerleader ... Captain Anthony Grainger with son Alex

By JENNA SLOAN
WHEN asked to write a poem about their heroes, there really was only one choice for these youngsters - their DADS.

For the talented kids are all children of our brave servicemen stationed around the world. The youngsters go to school at international bases.

Now their poems have been brought together in the Sun-backed Little Book Of Heroes. For every copy of the £2.99 book sold, 75p will be donated to the Forces' charity Help for Heroes.

Falklands War hero Simon Weston has backed the international schools project and says: "Hardly a day goes by without the reporting of another tragic loss of life in Afghanistan. In the Little Book Of Heroes we can read what the children of our brave soldiers think about courage and who they have as their own heroes.

"Some of the authors are as young as six and some are in their teens.

"Some of the stories and poems will make you laugh, others will make you cry.

"One thing is certain. All of the stories and poems bring home to us the poignancy of having a parent taken away to go and do their duty."

Here we present a selection of poems from the book, on sale from Monday at Morrisons and WH Smith.

Taylor Burgess, 10

My dad was in Belize
In year 2001
He was building a school for children
Underneath the Caribbean sun

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01091/SNF2424_02_1091753a.jpg Help our soldiers ... Little Book Of Heroes

He was on his way to work one day
When a jeep in front of him crashed
It rolled over many times
And it was completely and utterly smashed

Five people were seriously injured
They were in a really bad way
My dad gave them first aid and called an ambulance
And really saved the day

All five people survived that day
In that tiny nation
And my dad went on parade
And was presented with a commendation

My dad will always be my hero

- Taylor Burgess, John Buchan School, Germany

Taylor's dad Captain Mark Burgess, 39, Corps of Royal Engineers said: "I was a Warrant Officer Class 1 serving in Sennelager, Germany when Taylor wrote the poem. Initially I couldn't think of anything I had done that could be classed as heroic and Taylor was upset that she would not be able to write a poem.
"My wife reminded me of the incident in Belize where I was awarded a commendation for my actions at the scene of a RTA and I told Taylor the story. The poem is excellent in my eyes and Taylor's grasp of literacy meant she was able to put words into the poem that I couldn't have done myself."

Alex, 6, Bradley, 5, & Philip, 5

Our dad our hero!
Our dads are amazing

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01091/SNF2424_05_1091751a.jpg Little heroes ... Alex Grainger, Bradley Robinson and Philip Douglas

They are wickedly cool and strong
They go to war and fix the tanks
We are sad when they are gone

My Dad drives a boat
My Dad is an Engineer
My Dad saves the day
Especially when he is here

I love how my Dad buys me things
And takes me up to bed
He is always around when I need him
He is forever in my head

So when he's away, I can have him in my heart

- Alex Grainger, Bradley Robinson, and Philip Douglas, Bruggen School, Elmpt, Germany
BRADLEY'S dad, Sgt David Robinson, a vehicle mechanic with the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, said: "The poem is made more special in my eyes as it is a joint project between Bradley and his best friends at school who unfortunately due to the nature of forces life, will all live in different countries before the summer ends. Every Parent wants to be viewed as a hero in their children's eyes, I'm so glad I can be held in the same regard as Iron Man, Spiderman or the various other icons in my son's life.
"Forces children and families are true heroes as far as I and all serving soldiers are concerned, and deserve a lot more credit than they get for the massive sacrifices they must endure in support of their serving family members.
"Service children give so much without even knowing it."
Meanwhile Alex's dad Anthony Grainger, 41, 7 Signal Regiment in Elmpt Germany said: "Anything that helps serviceman recover from injury gets my support. I am extremely proud of my both my sons and of Alex's involvement in this project and look forward to seeing the poem in print."

Abbie, 12

Everything goes wrong when my hero is away!

Ollie, the dog, goes beserk every day,
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01091/SNF2424_03_1091750a.jpg Daddy's girl ... Abbie with dad Sgt Paul Fox

Ella and Joseph don't sleep at night
When he comes back I see the light
Thinking of him all the time
Taking him away, I think is a crime

I stopped and thought how it could be
If it was just him and me
Hugging and questions at what it's like
Him feeling like a brand new bike

He being away is really hard
So I send him a great big card
My biggest hero is my dad
When he's away I feel really sad

- Abbie Fox, Windsor School, Germany
Abbie's dad Sgt Paul Fox 40, serving in Germany in Royal Army Dental Corps and Rheindahlen Support Unit said:
"I suppose we never really know what our children think of us as parents.
"We often take everything for granted and it is not until you see something written from a child's outlook that it really makes you sit up and realise how important we are to them. I was very touched by Abigail's poem.
"We hear from our children on a daily basis that they love you, but when it's written in a poem like Abbie's, you realise how special you are to them. Where children may struggle to explain their feelings to you, the written word speaks from the heart."

Karl Northey, 11

My dad the hero

I pray to God

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01091/SNF2424_04_1091748a.jpg Sad to see him leave ... little Karl and dad Gary Northey

And hope he doesn't go away
But he comes back the next day and says
"I have to go to Afghan"
I burst into tears
And so did mum

I was dreaming that night about bombs, guns and everything else
But I can't stop him - he has to go!
I am waiting month after month
I am still in touch with dad with email

I'm watching the news
And hearing roadside bombs have gone off

It is time for him to come back
Everyone shouts and I run up to him
And say:
WELCOME BACK DAD!

- Karl Northey, Windsor School, Rheindahlen, Germany

KARL'S dad is Staff Sergeant Gary Northey, from Doncaster Corps, Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.
He has served in Afghanistan, Iraq, Kosovo and Northern Ireland since Karl was born.
Gary says: "I am immensely proud of Karl and his poem.
"It's really nice to know that the children think about and miss you as much as you miss them.
"The book highlights the feelings and emotions from the other side when mums and dads are deployed away from home on operations."

Joseph Watts, 11

There he goes again
How would I know Whether he'll come home?
No time to say goodbye
He's gone before you can ask why
There he goes
On his plane
To another country again
Why does he go to all these countries
Just to stare in the face of death
He goes to serve his country
That's what a hero would do
Brave, daring and ever so caring
That's what my dad is
A hero that hasn't even been noticed.

- Joseph Watts, Windsor School, Germany

William Wordsworth School, Germany

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01091/SNF2424CLASS--682_1091998a.jpg Class effort ... students from 3C and 4G at William Wordsworth in Germany

When my Daddy is away....
I hate not spending time with him
I miss everything about him
I miss rough and tumbling in the garden
I miss him making me laugh
I miss stories and cuddles before bedtime
I miss him tickling me
I miss him because he is not here for me
I am scared that he might get hurt.

When my Daddy is at home....
I love it because he says he will love me forever
I love it because he is silly with us so we don't get into trouble!
I love it because he is strong like a bear and carries me up to bed when I am too tired to walk
I love it because he makes us laugh when he is late for work and running round like a headless chicken

My Daddy is a soldier and he is a hero because....
Even when he's missing me he works hard
He protects other people even when he does not always know them
He has to spend so much time away from us and he never complains
He is always really brave even is something is very scary
Even when he is not with me I know that he loves me and I am very proud of him.

- Classes 3C and 4G, ages seven, eight and nine William Wordsworth School, Germany

Jodie McConnell, 8

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01091/SNF2424_06_1091754a.jpg Proud ... Jodie McConnell

My hero is my dad

He went to Afghanistan
People call him 'Mad Dog'
And I don't really know why
And I love him so much
My hero is my dad
I felt very sad when he went away
I hoped he was going to be safe
And I was so happy when he came back!

- Jodie McConnell, Ayios Nikolaos School, Cyprus

William McNaught, 10

My Dad's in Afghan, The Taliban are near, Soldiers thinking, Why are we here?
But they've got a job to do, Fighting for their country, We're waiting at home, Day and monthly.
Soldiers in Afghan, Fighting a war, Some survive, Some fall to the floor.
They load their guns, Rapidly, When my Dad comes home, We'll live happily.

- William McNaught, 10, from St Andrews School, Germany
Harry Searle, 8

My dad is my hero!
He works in the Army and is very important
The reason he is important is because he is in Afghanistan
He saves people and is very brave and full of courage
When I grow up I want to be just like my dad!!

- Harry Searle, Age 8 Blankenhagen School, Gutersloh, Germany

Keeley-Ann Hudspeth, 9

The Soldiers
They fight and fire, They are my desire, They conquer and they battle, Even when the world rattles, They help people, When they don't know what to do, They're honest and thoughtful, We should be grateful.
The whole world should be grateful, If one of them is your Dad, You'll know what I'm talking about, If one of them is your Dad, He will make you proud, When he comes back and you see him in the crowd, And that is what i'm talking about, They earn medals because of their work, And they pin them on their uniforms.
Knowing they have your support.

-Keeley-Ann Hudspeth, 9 John Buchan School, Hohne, German
Rebecca Barrett, 10

Our heroes
I miss my Dad.
I need him, more than a balloon needs air, But everyone should know that they haven't gone for war They have gone to help people's lives get better.
I want him home because:
Dinner isn't the same any more without my Dad sitting there.
My num's now eating pears.
My sister and me are crying You would think someone was dying We heard on the news someone had attacked them We were so scared But they were so brave He's our hero.

- Rebecca Barrett, 10, John Buchan School, Hohne, Germany

Akash Urung, 9

My Dad
Today
My dad went away
He won't be back till May
Is that okay

Sunday
My birthday
Still away
No way
Is that okay

It's May
Dad is in the doorway
He's here to stay
Hurray!!

Tomorrow we're on holiday
Off on the motorway
That's okay
That's very much okay
Hurray!

- Akash Urung, 9 John Buchan School, Hohne, Germany
Rosalind Favis, 9

My Dad's Not a Random Guy
My dad's not a random guy.
My dad's a special dad.
He goes away months at a time.
He has a special uniform.
Not always here for my birthday,
Not always here for Christmas.
Breaks his leg sometimes,
Breaks his arm sometimes.
So kind hearted,
So brave.
My dad's not a random guy.
My dad's a special dad.
My dad's a soldier.

- Rosalind Favis, 9, St Andrew's School Rheindahlen, Germany

Connor Ramsay, 10

Hero
Months in Afghan.
Years in the army.
Hard as a bullet.
Everyday hero.
Risk anything for me.
Obviously my dad.

- Connor Ramsay, 10, St Andrew's School Rheindahlen, Germany

William McNaught, 10

The Brave Soldiers
My Dad's in Afghan,
The Taliban are near,
Soldiers thinking,
Why are we here?
But they've got a job to do,
Fighting for their country,
We're waiting at home,
Day and monthly.
Soldiers in Afghan,
Fighting a war,

Advertisement

http://pixel.quantserve.com/pixel/p-e4m3Yko6bFYVc.gif?labels=NewsAndReference,Entertai nmentNews http://a.unanimis.co.uk/lg.php?bannerid=58672&campaignid=11964&zoneid=8156&loc=1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesun.co.uk%2Fsol%2Fhome page%2Fwoman%2Fparenting%2F3067449%2FSchoolkids-poems-pay-tribute-to-their-forces-hero-parents.html&cb=c186265a68&r_id=6a0fd5fb706a0682def94687f81bfa43&r_ts=l62tni&lim_ad=&lim_zn=&lim_lp=&lim_mp=&lim_op=&website_id=302&agency_id=3&campaign_id=11964&source=&channel_id=

Some survive,
Some fall to the floor.
They load their guns,
Rapidly,
When my Dad comes home,
We'll live happily.

- William McNaught, 10, from St Andrews School, Germany

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/parenting/3067449/Schoolkids-poems-pay-tribute-to-their-forces-hero-parents.html#ixzz0ud4jTcUy

They just make you proud !

DefensorFortis
07-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Thank you very much ianstone for posting this. Children of military serviceman are special people because no matter how young they are they have a sense of maturity about them that other children do not have.

I think the reason for this is that these children have to take on roles other children do not like watching after themselves and the rest of the family while dad or mom is off to God only knows where.

Also, some children expect both of their parents to be there for them, but military children know that is not possible all the time. They know that if they love their parent who is off to war very much, their dad or mom will be with them in their heart even when they are in a completely different land.