PDA

View Full Version : Bridge to be named for Medal of Honor recipients

bobdina
07-22-2010, 11:17 AM
When people drive by or across the new bridge on County Road 500 East in Tippecanoe County, Dave Shively wants them to think of the nation's Medal of Honor recipients.

Shively, a lifelong Lafayette resident, befriended one medal recipient several years ago and has been inspired by his service.

Hershel "Woody" Williams, of West Virginia, was one of the Marines who landed at Iwo Jima during World War II. At the end of what was considered one of the bloodiest battles of the war, Williams was one of only 17 men in his company of 275 not wounded or killed.

For his role in clearing the path through the enemy ground, Williams was awarded a Medal of Honor.

"I want people to know what the Medal of Honor is (and) what they have done for our country," Shively said. "The Medal of Honor recipients have a special place in my heart just because of what they did."

Shively spoke before the Tippecanoe County board of commissioners Monday and helped get a resolution passed that would rename the bridge for those honored. The bridge was recently reconstructed as part of the Hoosier Heartland Corridor work that's ongoing in the county.

Shively doesn't want the structure to be dedicated to one specific individual, but rather to all who have been awarded the medal through the years.

There are only 88 remaining Medal of Honor recipients living today, Shively said.

"We're losing about 10 recipients each year," he added.

The renaming of the bridge also must be voted on by the Indiana General Assembly. State Sen. Brandt Hershman, R-Buck Creek, is going to bring the request before the legislature in the 2011 session, so the earliest any signs would go up would be next year.

Shively hopes to put images of the three different medals awarded up on the bridge, also, so people can understand more about the honor.

Tippecanoe County Highway Director Opal Kuhl said it will be up to the Indiana Department of Transportation on what images are allowed and paid for on the bridge signs.

Williams visited Lafayette in 2007 and spoke to students at Harrison High School and the general public about his service and receiving the award.

Even though Shively never served in the military, he's very invested in the history and prestige involved in the Medal of Honor award.

"After knowing Woody, I wished I had gone through the Marine Corps. I'm passionate about anything that has to do with the military," he said. "Any time I see somebody in the military, I always go up and thank them for their service."

http://www.jconline.com/article/20100721/NEWS/7210304