PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Navy Successfully Uses Laser to Shoot Down Drones

perocity
07-21-2010, 08:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTpP412fM8U
The U.S. Navy has used a a laser weapon to shoot down four unmanned aerial vehicles in a test that rings up memories of Ronald Reagan's "Star Wars" missile defense shield in the 1980s.8302The successful test of the Laser Weapon System off the coast of California was announced during the Farnborough International Air Show, which is taking place this week in England.

The technology, jointly developed with Raytheon, used industrial strength lasers, is more than just your run-of-the-mill PR exercise. In its write-up of the technology, Scientific American correctly notes that the shoot-down of the drones over water constitutes an advance over previous Raytheon tests which focused on static targets.

Mike Booen of Raytheon gave USA Today the money quote for the day: "The targets came in over the ocean, and it was a good day for lasers, bad day for drones."

Still, don't expect deployment any time soon. Even if the follow-up tests come through with flying colors, the technology is likely going to take several more years before it's ready for combat situation. (Coincidentally, the breakthrough made the rounds on the anniversary of the day that U.S. astronauts walked on the moon in 1969.

ianstone
07-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Spoke to a guy I know well in the pub / bar last night, he sad the initial footage looked promising.
He work in the aeronautical industry close by.
They gave it close scrutiny a short while ago, but has kept quiet until it was released in the press.
We came to an agreement some months ago, he did not speak of his work, unless public knowledge.
In return I would not tell him any more jokes.

bobdina
07-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Great post thanks for sharing. Bob

DevilDog812
07-21-2010, 12:31 PM
pretty awesome! what kind of UAV was that? there seems to be quite a few 'flying wing' UAVs in videos now, but the only one ive heard of is the X-45/Phantom Ray

perocity
07-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Wing UAVs are efficient powerful platforms and up till recently the Pentagon was content selling them off as UFOs! I think the proliferation has lead to a certain amount of disclosure on some these vehicles. Who knows for sure some of the birds they don't want us to know about.
Here are some I know about.831483158316831783188319832083218322
There are more trust me.

Reactor-Axe-Man
07-23-2010, 10:25 PM
That beam had to stay on target for an awful long time before the drone lost control authority. Four seconds at least. And it was flying straight and level. It's going to take a lot more beam power before it's effective.