shatto
07-18-2010, 05:05 PM
http://www.strangemilitary.com/images/content/165370.gif

Toki
07-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

shatto
07-18-2010, 09:43 PM
One year we were on the top deck of the Hornblower Fleet stern-wheeler, watching the Angels when one broke the sound barrier, something common at sea level where humidity becomes a factor because it dramatically lowers the barrier speed. A Persian friend with combat experience in the 8-year war, was found on the deck, literally, after the BOOM.

shatto
07-19-2010, 03:23 AM
Fleet Week, and airshows in general are interesting because there are herds of people who do not know what is happening and where to look.

I had to explain to the folks around us that 'Fat Albert' doing his fly-by was not a bomber.

I happened to be looking when the aircraft carrier launched Hornets.....as it passed under the Golden Gate Bridge!
It was "A big f***ing deal" to quote our Vice President, but almost nobody knew it happened.

When they do the "Heritage Fly-by" most people don't know how the old prop plane and the newer jets are related.

But they have more speakers along the bay where the Angels perform so more people get to hear and understand what is going on.

ianstone
07-19-2010, 06:36 AM
The local leaders have been Anti forces for a good while.
I recall something about a warship retiring and they said no in SF.
All i can say is WTF !

gutro
07-19-2010, 11:49 AM
fuckin a! That's amazing.... a little concerned about risk to civis though out on the water...

shatto
07-20-2010, 01:59 AM
All airshows in America do not allow performing directly over people. They clear a path on the water too.

San Farncisco officially hates war, then the military. But Di-Fi, when she was Mayor realized that having Navies visit brought many dollars.....hence Fleet Week.
The Battleship is still over in the "Ready Reserve Fleet" the floating junkyard above Benicia. Has to be done privately and I think that is best.

dmaxx3500
07-20-2010, 09:47 PM
the blues are one of the 2 greatest air show groups ive ever seen,also try the airshow in august in chicago over the lake front and the sky line is almost perfect