PDA

View Full Version : Judge rules Stolen Valor Act unconstitutional

bobdina
07-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Judge rules Stolen Valor Act unconstitutional

By Dan Elliott - The Associated Press
Posted : Saturday Jul 17, 2010 10:18:16 EDT

DENVER — A law that makes it illegal to lie about being a war hero is unconstitutional because it violates free speech, a federal judge ruled Friday as he dismissed a case against a Colorado man who claimed he received two military medals.

Rick Glen Strandlof claimed he was an ex-Marine who was wounded in Iraq and received the Purple Heart and Silver Star, but the military had no record he ever served. He was charged with violating the Stolen Valor Act, which makes it a crime punishable by up to a year in jail to falsely claim to have won a military medal.

U.S. District Judge Robert Blackburn dismissed the case and said the law is unconstitutional, ruling the government did not show it has a compelling reason to restrict that type of statement.

A spokesman for the U.S. attorney in Denver said prosecutors are reviewing the decision and haven’t decided whether to appeal. The spokesman said that decision would be made by the U.S. Justice Department in Washington and prosecutors in Denver.

Strandlof’s lawyer didn’t immediately return a call.

The law has also been challenged in California and a case now before the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Denver attorney Christopher P. Beall, who filed a friend-of-the-court brief for the American Civil Liberties Union of Colorado, said the Stolen Valor Act is fatally flawed because it doesn’t require prosecutors to show anyone was harmed or defamed by the lie.

“The government position was that any speech that’s false is not protected by the First Amendment. That proposition is very dangerous,” Beall said.

“It puts the government in a much more powerful position to prosecute people for speaking out on things they believe to be true but turn out not to be true,” he said.

Beall said the ACLU was not defending the actions Strandlof is accused of, but took issue with the principle behind the law.

bobdina
07-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Fucking lawyers, pieces of shit then they become Judges and overrule every common sense law.Fuck them

ianstone
07-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Sad, Sad world when these people rule the roost

Reactor-Axe-Man
07-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Don't get the wrong idea about this, but until I hear where this guy benefited in some material way from his claims, I agree with the judge's decision. Do we really want our government, particularly our PRESENT government, with the power to prosecute speech acts (however odious) at whim? The law needs to be tightened up a bit, so that persons who benefit in some way from their false claims (like government assistance; special loans; tickets to entertainment events; publicity for books, videos, website hits, et cetera) are the ones who get punished by the government. The proper legal remedy for everyone else who does this is our constant and unremitting PUBLIC SCORN.

acf6
07-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Reactor, I think thats probably exactly where this decision came from. If he didn't benefit from this false claim then it wouldn't fly. I hate asshats like this that try to claim this bullshit but most of the time laws in reference to lying have a section that you have to benefit from that lie. I hope the publicity alone about his lie marks him for life!!!

Mel
07-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Well hopefully then it won't be against the free speech law for some one like me to call the ACLU a bunch of worthless fucks... Free speech my ass.