PDA

View Full Version : Best sniper in history?

Cruality
11-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Interesting topic I saw on another forum, maybe ya'll have some details or want to do some research.

Here are the best sniper shots ever (if you know any others or did one better, add it):

1. Master Cpl. Arron Perry - 2,430 metres - the current record for longest range sniper kill is 7,972 ft, accomplished by a Canadian sniper, of the third battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (3 PPCLI), during the invasion of Afghanistan, using a .50 BMG (12.7 mm) McMillan bolt-action rifle. That's some shot he broke Carlos Hathcocks record for the longest range sniper kill. I was reading about this shot and it said that the round had a flight time of four seconds, and a drop of 44.5 m (146 ft).

2. Carlos Hathcock - 2,286 meters - In 1967, Hathcock set the record for the 20th century's longest combat kill with a Browning M2 .50 BMG machine gun mounting a telescopic sight. The distance was 2,286 meters or 1.42 miles.

3. Corporal Matt Hughes - 860 meters - a 28 yr-old Royal Marines marksman, was ordered to “take out” an Iraqi holding back a vital advance during a fierce gale. He pulled off an incredible feat of marksmanship by gauging perfectly the wind speed to bend the bullet to its target. The 7.62 calibre round from his L96 sniper rifle curved 56ft in the air before striking its target in the chest, killing him instantly.

Other mentioned historical names

Carlos Hathcock (U.S.A. Vietnam War)
Rob Furlong (Canada Afghanistan)
Simo Hayha (Finland WW2)
Vasily Zaytzev (USSR WW2)
Juba (Insurgent Iraq)
Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart (U.S.A. Somalia)

How does this work, are there current sniper units in afghanistan or iraq?

fotoman
11-25-2008, 07:16 PM
My Grandfather was a sniper in WWI and WWII....you can see his medals and shooting awards here at this website...

http://community.webshots.com/user/fotoman4u2

Cruelbreed
11-25-2008, 08:44 PM
What was his name if you don't mind sharing?

Those picture are amazing, look at all those medals! You're really lucky to have those pictures, thanks for sharing!

andyedm85
11-25-2008, 11:20 PM
word has it that Master cpl Perry nailed him in the cab of a truck. carlos still rules.

Cruelbreed
11-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Anyone got some pics of these dudes? Going to start searching