PDA

View Full Version : Haveing some trubble

wardog99s
07-15-2010, 06:14 PM
well im joining the US army and im having trouble with choosing a duty station.. i want infantry but my GF (it geting serous) want to live in cali...

Infantry is what i want..

Any suggestion?

bobdina
07-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Joint base Joint Base Lewis-McChord in is Washington State, closest infantry to Cali I can think of off the top of my head. Bob

MickDonalds
07-16-2010, 01:36 AM
You need to remember that this is YOUR career, and not hers. Being honest here, because that's what is going to help you.

I think you should sit down and talk to her and tell her that your duty stations don't revolve around what she wants. If she's serious and cares about you and wants marriage, then she needs to accept that if she wants to be a good, dutiful Army wife, then that means backing you up 100% and moving wherever you move.

The needs of the country are greater than any one spouse, bottom line.

I say this because I've seen alot of selfish wives and girlfriends RUIN soldier's careers by being stubborn and childish about moving, and giving "the Ultimatum" (If you re-up, I'm leaving. It's me or the Army).

If infantry is what YOU want, then you get what you want, bottom line. This is YOUR career, and if you want to succeed, sometimes you have to be a little self-serving along the way. There's nothing wrong with that either.

wardog99s
07-16-2010, 01:56 AM
true.. lot of thing to think about

Reactor-Axe-Man
07-16-2010, 11:00 AM
I've seen a lot of relationships fail because the women didn't realize what they were committing to when they married sailors (duty days in port, long work days in port even when it wasn't a 'duty day,' scattershot periods of being in port then out to sea for a week or two, deployments away from home for months at a time, et cetera). It is imperative that your GF understand the facts of life about the Army, and especially your role as Infantry in it. You're new at this yourself, which probably doesn't help, but if you have any relatives or friends who are serving/have served, use them to help explain things to her.

The scary part is that getting the facts of Military Life might cause her to end the relationship. I understand how you'd have some anxiety about that, and a desire to keep your head down and hope for the best. The really scary part is when she doesn't understand what she's getting into, you marry her, maybe make a Wardog Jr. with her, and two years later you are dwelling in a living hell because it was only after she married you and got stuck in the middle of all of this that she figures out that she doesn't want it.

I don't envy your situation. Don't do something (or fail to do something) that would cause me to pity it.

wardog99s
07-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Well im going to MEPS on sun day, will know when i go to basic.

Reactor-Axe-Man
07-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Good luck! Never volunteer! Also, you're doing well when the Drill Sergeants can't remember your name! If they can, it's because you're either doing really great or because you're a fuckin' soup sandwich!

wardog99s
07-27-2010, 11:36 PM
or the can read the name tag lol