PDA

View Full Version : Petraeus says he will revisit Afghanistan ROE

bobdina
06-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Petraeus says he will revisit Afghanistan ROE

By William H. McMichael - Staff writer
Posted : Tuesday Jun 29, 2010 16:05:46 EDT

Gen. David Petraeus said Tuesday that revisiting the rules limiting live fires near civilian populations in Afghanistan will be one of his “highest priorities” upon assuming direct command of the war effort.

Petraeus told the Senate Armed Services Committee he is fully aware of troops’ concerns that the rules protect local civilians at the expense of troops’ lives. “I want to assure the mothers and fathers of those fighting in Afghanistan that I see it as a moral imperative to bring all assets to bear to protect our men and women in uniform, and the Afghan security forces with whom ISAF members are fighting shoulder-to-shoulder,” he said.

“I am keenly aware of concerns by some of our troops on the ground about the application of our rules of engagement, and the tactical directive,” Petraeus said. “They should know that I will look very hard at this issue.”

Petraeus said he doesn’t see “a substantial change” in the rules of engagement, which he called “fairly standard.” Rather, he said, “We have to be absolutely certain that the implementation of the tactical directive and the rules of engagement is even throughout the force” — that commanders at some levels are not interpreting the rules in a manner that is “more restrictive than necessary.”

The rules of engagement and a tactical directive issued last year by Gen. Stanley McChrystal sharply limit the use of bombs, rockets and indirect fires against residential areas — often a tough call because insurgents sometimes use such areas as cover — and mandate that troops “explore all other feasible options” before conducting night raids.

The committee unanimously confirmed Petraeus during a brief meeting held shortly after the hearing. He still must be confirmed by the full Senate, and Levin is pressing to hold that vote before the July 4 recess. During the hearing, the committee approved 3,839 other military nominations, including Gen. Ray Odierno as commander of U.S. Joint Forces Command and Lt. Gen. Lloyd Austin as Odierno’s replacement as commander of U.S. Forces – Iraq.

Petraeus is being confirmed as the replacement for McChrystal, who lost command of the International Security Assistance Force last week after a Rolling Stone magazine article quoted him and his staff disparaging the Obama administration.

Petraeus said he has discussed the need to revisit the engagement rules with Afghan President Hamid Karzai and other top officials since he was nominated last week to replace McChrystal, “and they are in full agreement with me on this.”

“Those on the ground must have all the support they need when they are in a tough situation,” Petraeus said.

At the same time, Petraeus said that protecting the local population is a central tenet of the counterinsurgency strategy being employed in Afghanistan by NATO forces. “The human terrain is the decisive terrain,” Petraeus said. “And I will continue the emphasis on reducing the loss of innocent civilian life to an absolute minimum.”

Capitol police at the morning hearing confiscated cups of coffee at the hearing room entrance, saying they feared the possibility of a hot liquid assault on Petraeus by the protestors sprinkled amongst the crowd in the packed chamber.

A ceremonial seat was set at the senators’ long, curved table for the late Sen. Robert Byrd of West Virginia, who died Monday. Byrd served on the committee for nearly three decades and, Levin said, “was a treasured colleague and friend to members or the Armed Services Committee and to the entire Senate.” A name plate inscribed with “Mr. Byrd” and a bouquet of white roses rested in front of the seat to Levin’s immediate right, on the Democratic side.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/06/military_petraeus_afghanistan_062910w/

Reactor-Axe-Man
06-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Thank God.