PDA

View Full Version : They lost 68 in this tour

ianstone
06-23-2010, 10:01 AM
<H1>Troops march in 'largest' homecoming parade

Page last updated at 11:58 GMT, Wednesday, 23 June 2010 12:58 UK

The Duchess of Cornwall has described 650 soldiers returning from Afghanistan to Hampshire as "heroes" during a special homecoming event.
The soldiers of 11 Light Brigade marched through Winchester accompanied by three bands, while thousands of people lined the streets and cheered.
The brigade, made up of 12 UK-wide regiments, will disband after the homecoming event.

</H1>Duchess of Cornwall attends troops' homecoming parade

Page last updated at 13:51 GMT, Wednesday, 23 June 2010 14:51 UK

Crowds cheer the troops as they march through Winchester

The Duchess of Cornwall has described 650 soldiers returning from Afghanistan to Hampshire as "heroes" during a special homecoming event.
The soldiers of 11 Light Brigade marched through Winchester accompanied by three bands, while thousands of people lined the streets and cheered.
Sixty-four soldiers from the brigade were killed in action during its six-month tour of duty.
The duchess said: "You are all an immense credit to this country."
Continue reading the main story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/10385102.stm#skip_feature_02)

You have proved once again that the British Army is the best in the world
Duchess of Cornwall In pictures: Homecoming parade (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/10390183.stm) Great photos of the parade guys !
As she addressed the brigade, which was formed especially for the deployment, the duchess added: "You are all heroes and I salute you for a job very well done.
"You have proved once again that the British Army is the best in the world."
The brigade comprises 12 UK-wide regiments and will disband after the homecoming event.
The duchess will attend a private reception for soldiers and their families.
She added: "Although we are here to celebrate your return the price has been extremely high.
"I join you in mourning those 64 soldiers who are not here and who made the ultimate sacrifice during these past months.
"My heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to their families as they continue to come to terms with their agonising loss."
A service of thanksgiving and remembrance will also be held at Winchester Cathedral.
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/48153000/jpg/_48153471_brigade-230610-path_1_-3_6.jpg The duchess commended troops for a job well done A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "11 Light Brigade is made up of many different regiments and units, and is unique in that it came into existence specifically for a tour of duty in Afghanistan to reduce pressure on other regiments that were being sent out increasingly frequently.
"Some of the units are based in Hampshire but other regiments are based in Edinburgh, Chester, London and Germany.
"This national event, the biggest of its kind ever to be staged, is to commemorate the service and sacrifices of 11 Light Brigade."
The parade was accompanied by the Band of the Grenadier Guards, the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers Band and the Band of Three Rifles.
The 12 regiments taking part are: 11 Light Brigade Headquarters Staff & 261 Signals Squadron; The Household Cavalry Regiment; 1 Royal Horse Artillery; 28 Engineer Regiment, The Royal Engineers; 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards; 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards.
Also, the 1st Battalion Royal Anglian Regiment; 2nd Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment (Green Howards); 1st Battalion The Royal Welsh (The Royal Welsh Fusiliers); 3rd Battalion The Rifles; 11 Explosive Ordnance Disposal Regiment, Royal Logistic Corps; 10 Queen's Own Gurkha Logistic Regiment.

I'm proud to say I know a lot of these guys and some sad stories, Welcome home, this stint in hell is done Boys. A time out until the next. Thank you for what you have done. I am unashamedly proud of you all. (TRAF)