PDA

View Full Version : Royal Dragoon Guardsman R.I.P.

ianstone
06-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Breaking News

4:57pm UK, Friday June 18, 2010

British Soldier Killed In Afghan Blast

Alison Chung, Sky News Online
A British soldier from The Royal Dragoon Guards has been killed in an explosion in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence has said.

His family have been told.
More to follow...

Page last updated at 16:34 GMT, Friday, 18 June 2010 17:34 UK http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/48114000/jpg/_48114807_002811864-1.jpg Some 299 UK personnel have been killed since the conflict began A soldier from the Royal Dragoon Guards has been killed in an explosion in Afghanistan, the MoD has said.
He had been guarding comrades as they cleared land in front of a checkpoint in the Nahr-e Saraj district, Helmand, when he was hit by the blast on Friday.
The soldier is the 299th member of the UK armed forces to have died in Afghanistan since the conflict began in 2001. His family have been told.
Colleagues described him as a "courageous and dedicated soldier".
Task Force Helmand spokesman Lt Col James Carr-Smith said: "He was providing security for a patrol that was conducting a clearance operation when tragically he was struck by an explosion."
"He died doing his duty. He will be greatly missed and his actions will not be forgotten. We will remember him."

My old Regiment, I salute you, R.I.P. I am aware of how brave you are boys, Quis separabit, Who shall seperate us, none but death.