PDA

View Full Version : China arms sales scientist guilty

Cruality
11-17-2008, 08:55 PM
The cheater nation is at it again!

China arms sales scientist guilty

An US scientist has pleaded guilty to selling rocket technology to China in breach of US arms control laws.

Quan-Sheng Shu, 68, admitted helping China develop a fuelling system for space launch vehicles.

The president of a Virginia-based high-tech company also pleaded guilty to bribing Chinese officials to win a contract for another company.

He is free on bail pending sentencing in April. He could face up to 25 years in prison and a heavy fine.

A naturalised US citizen born in Shanghai, the scientist was charged with two counts under the federal Arms Control Act and one count of bribery.

Prosecutors in Virginia said Mr Shu - president of Amac International - had ordered his employees to falsify documents about the transactions, which took place between 2003 and 2007.

'No espionage'

Defence lawyer James Broccoletti said the case did not involve espionage or treason.

"It doesn't involve national security," Mr Broccoletti was quoted as saying by the Associated Press news agency.

According to its website, Amac has contracts with the Department of Energy and Nasa, the US space agency, worth $2m.

But the firm also focuses on helping manufacturers export their products to Asia, says the BBC's Richard Lister in Washington, and Mr Shu admitted giving Chinese officials almost $190,000 in order to win a contract for an unnamed French firm.

In return he was given a $400,000 commission.

mackshaft
11-19-2008, 12:06 AM
My cousin was a network admin on a NASA contract. He said the network was attacked daily with hacks from China

Cruelbreed
11-19-2008, 12:30 AM
My cousin was a network admin on a NASA contract. He said the network was attacked daily with hacks from China

Did they take care of the issue? That borderline pisses me off, not going to lie.

mackshaft
11-19-2008, 12:36 AM
They just kept trying to stop it. It happened many times in a day. From many computers in china. I read it happens to all government computers. They recently hacked the white house email server.

Cruelbreed
11-19-2008, 12:59 AM
I always wonder why this isn't more public news, I think people need to know what China is up too. Perfect reason why not to buy their products, even if we need to change the way we do things.