PDA

View Full Version : Iranian troops building fort in Iraq

bobdina
06-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Iranian troops building fort in Iraq
The soldiers crossed into northern Iraq in pursuit of Kurdish guerrillas after a bomb attack. The fortifications suggest they plan to stay for a while, Kurdish officials say.

Reporting from Haj Omran, Iraq —
Iranian troops pursuing Kurdish guerrillas in the remote mountains of northern Iraq have begun constructing a small fort on Iraqi territory, suggesting they plan on staying for a while, Kurdish officials said Tuesday.

Iranian troops pursuing Kurdish guerrillas in the remote mountains of northern Iraq have begun constructing a small fort in Iraqi territory, suggesting they plan on staying for a while, Kurdish officials said Tuesday.

A small Iranian force crossed into the Kurdish-controlled region of northern Iraq on Thursday after a bomb attack that killed several Iranian soldiers. The assault was carried out by the Party for Free Life in Kurdistan, an Iranian Kurdish militant movement based in northern Iraq that is known by its Kurdish acronym, PEJAK.

» Don't miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered to your inbox.

About 35 Iranians remained behind, in an area near the Perdunaz border crossing, and have since been observed building a fortified structure high on a mountain, said the Kurdish regional government's defense spokesman, Jaber Yawer.

From a nearby Kurdish observation post, two bulldozers, alongside a small tank, can be seen digging fortifications.

Iran also retaliated with artillery strikes, which last week killed a 14-year-old girl. There was renewed shelling of the area Tuesday, but most civilians have fled the area and no one was killed, Yawer said.

Though Iraq's Foreign Ministry has protested the attacks on civilians to the Iranian ambassador in Baghdad, there has been no outcry similar to the one that greeted Iranian troops' brief occupation last year of an oil well in southern Iraq.

In part, that may be because Iraq's politicians are distracted by the drawn-out process of forming a new government after March's inconclusive election.

The inaccessible wilderness of Iraq's northern border area has long been a hide-out for Kurdish fighters seeking autonomy for Kurdish areas of Turkey and Iran, drawing periodic incursions by the forces of both countries.

Ahmed is a special correspondent. Times staff writers Raheem Salman and Liz Sly in Baghdad contributed to this report.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-iraq-iran-incursion-20100609,0,7528640.story

joelee
06-09-2010, 04:04 PM
JDAMs? Sounds good to me.

death2mooj
06-09-2010, 05:18 PM
JDAM its whats for dinner.

MickDonalds
06-10-2010, 01:58 AM
The latimes and these news correspondents are both full of shit. I'm currently stationed in northern Iraq and this report is complete bull. I had an S-2 Intel briefing about it yesterday where they debunked these reports. There's no fort being built inside Iraqi territory, trust me guys. The Iraqi Border Police are pretty brutal when it comes to foreign fighters crossing into Iraq. Most of the bodies wind up in a hole in the desert or floating down the Tigris, Greater Zab or Euphrates.

joelee
06-10-2010, 04:28 AM
Thanks MD, I'd hate to see Iran get a toehold. On a side note, how dow the Iraqi Border Police get along with the Kurds? Or do they use Kurds as police up there?If I was a Kurd I'd be popping every Sunni I could get a shot at.
Thanks Bro, take it easy , Joe

MickDonalds
06-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks MD, I'd hate to see Iran get a toehold. On a side note, how dow the Iraqi Border Police get along with the Kurds? Or do they use Kurds as police up there?If I was a Kurd I'd be popping every Sunni I could get a shot at.
Thanks Bro, take it easy , Joe

The Kurds wear the uniforms, operate and train exactly as their counterparts in other parts of the country, they just answer to an extra echelon first (the Kurdish Autonomous Government). Everywhere else in Iraq they answer to the usual chain of command. The Kurds just build in an extra level, in order to protect their interests. In Kurdish regions, the Kurds are the border patrol agents.