PDA

View Full Version : Actor turned soldier gets new satisfaction

bobdina
06-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Actor turned soldier gets new satisfaction

Posted : Monday Jun 7, 2010 15:31:45 EDT

FAIRBANKS, Alaska — People join the Army from all walks of life, but few follow Scott Eberlein’s path.

The Los Angeles native was an actor who had a small part in the film “L.A. Confidential” and larger roles in TV shows such as “The X-Files” and “Nash Bridges.” But he left Hollywood behind following the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

“To pursue something as trivial as acting was something I had taken for granted all my life; I didn’t think twice about it,” said Eberlein, now a captain stationed at Fort Wainwright with the Stryker brigade’s 1st battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment.

“When I saw it could be taken away in a moment, that spoke volumes to me.”

Eberlein received a master of fine arts degree from UCLA in 1993. Like many young actors, he struggled to find work.

That changed some after his appearance in the Academy Award-winning “L.A. Confidential.” Portraying a sheriff’s deputy in the 1997 film, he only had five lines of dialogue and a close-up. It was enough, however, to get noticed.

Unfortunately, Eberlein said, most of the jobs were “in some of the worst movies ever made.”

One job on a short-lived sitcom, “The Army Show,” served to foreshadow his career switch.

Eberlein played a sergeant with an Expert Infantry Badge, a difficult-to-obtain mark designating proficient infantry skills. In 1998, he had no idea what that meant.

“Had I known what it meant I might not have worn it, but six years later I actually was an E-5 with an EIB,” he said. “Talk about bizarre.”

Despite enlisting at 33, much older than the typical Army recruit, Eberlein had few problems with basic training since he had to stay in shape to get roles. Few other skills have transferred to his career in the Army.

“In acting, it’s all about me and how I can make myself into a product that’s going to be marketable,” Eberlein said. “The Army is about coming together as a team and accomplishing a mission.”

Though Eberlein hasn’t completely lost the acting bug, he had a role in the Fairbanks Drama Association’s recent production of “The Time of Your Life,” he said the bonds he has made and the importance of his work will keep in the Army.

“I joined because of 9/11,” he said. “I stay because I see there’s a need for people like me.”