PDA

View Full Version : Service for UK Armed forces' Personnel

Corndog
06-05-2010, 07:12 AM
The families of 119 UK service personnel killed in conflicts last year will gather at the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire later.

Prince Edward will join relatives for a private service and lead them in a two-minute silence.

Last year was the bloodiest year for UK forces since the Falklands conflict.

The names of those killed have been carved into the Armed Forces Memorial alongside the other 16,000 service personnel who have died since 1948.

Panther's Claw
The Armed Forces Memorial honours personnel killed on duty, or as a result of terrorist action.

Made from Portland stone, it was dedicated by the Queen in 2007 and features an obelisk and a circular wall bearing the names of the dead.

The latest 119, engraved by stonemason Nick Hindle, include those of the 41 UK soldiers killed during Operation Panther's Claw in Afghanistan last July and August.

Also inscribed are those of Sappers Mark Quinsey and Patrick Azimkar - the two soldiers shot dead outside their barracks in Northern Ireland in March 2009 by dissident republicans.

The memorial, in Alrewas, has been designed to allow a shaft of sunlight to fall across the sculpted wreath on the central stone at precisely 1100 GMT on the 11th day of the 11th month - Armistice Day.

Saturday's service will take place at 1200 BST.

Rest in Peace troops

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10242103.stm

Corndog
FAB

ianstone
06-05-2010, 08:49 AM
I say it all the time,however.
Nothing surprises me more, than mans inhumanity to man.

It never ceases to astonish me to see how low a Terrorist will go
and hide behind a cause, race or religion