PDA

View Full Version : SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket Reaches Orbit on First Flight (Update1)

perocity
06-04-2010, 05:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96C7nnYdDZ8

June 4 (Bloomberg) -- Space Exploration Technologies Inc., a company at the center of President Barack Obama’s plan to reshape NASA, launched into Earth orbit a new rocket designed to take cargo and astronauts to the International Space Station.

SpaceX’s Falcon 9 took off on its first test flight at about 2:45 p.m. local time from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida carrying an unmanned demonstration version of its Dragon spacecraft. It reached orbit about nine minutes later, according to SpaceX. The company’s first rocket, the Falcon 1, took four attempts before it reached orbit in September 2008.

Falcon 9 is designed to compete with launch vehicles such as the Atlas and Delta from United Launch Alliance, a joint venture of Boeing Co. and Lockheed Martin Corp. SpaceX, led by PayPal Inc. co-founder Elon Musk, plans to use the rocket to carry into orbit the Dragon vessel, which is intended to take cargo and astronauts to the orbiting outpost after the space shuttles are retired.

“Today’s flight of Falcon 9 could be the first small step toward relieving NASA launchers of the burden of low-Earth orbit, thus freeing the U.S. space agency to reach new worlds,” the Pasadena, California-based Planetary Society, a space advocacy group founded by Carl Sagan and other scientists, said in a statement.

Obama Plan

SpaceX’s vessels are part of Obama’s strategy for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, which calls for the agency to develop systems capable of taking humans to Mars while helping entrepreneurs build vessels to carry astronauts to the space station.

NASA in 2008 awarded Hawthorne, California-based SpaceX and Orbital Sciences Corp. $3.5 billion in contracts to deliver cargo to the station through 2016. The agency expects as much as 70 percent of its cargo delivery to the station to be handled by Orbital and SpaceX, with the rest delivered by Japanese and European ships.

SpaceX is aiming to test its Dragon spacecraft later this year on the second Falcon 9 flight, and carry cargo to the station on the third, most likely during the second quarter of next year, Musk said.

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden told a Senate panel last month that he expects SpaceX to be able to fly its first manned mission in 2015. Musk said the company may be able to take astronauts to the station as early as 2013 if it receives a contract this year.

‘More Confidence’

Today’s launch “gives us even more confidence that a resupply vehicle will be available after the space shuttle fleet is retired,” Bolden said in a statement.

The shuttles and European vessels have carried cargo and people to the station since construction began in 1998. The shuttle program is scheduled to shut down this year, and NASA signed a $335 million contract extension with the Russian Federal Space Agency in April to buy transport for U.S. astronauts to the outpost through 2014.

An earlier attempt to launch the Falcon 9 today was scrubbed seconds before ignition when the rocket put itself into safe mode after experiencing a “shutdown condition,” SpaceX said on its website.

Obama’s plan, announced earlier this year, scrapped Constellation, the program that would send U.S. astronauts to the moon as a precursor to missions to Mars. The shift drew criticism from former astronauts such as Neil Armstrong, the first person to walk on the moon, and lawmakers from states with NASA operations, who say the program focuses too much on unproven companies.

‘Modest Success’

“Even this modest success is more than a year behind schedule, and the project deadlines of other private space companies continue to slip as well,” Texas Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, the ranking Republican on the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, said in a statement after today’s launch. “This test does not change the fact that commercial space programs are not ready to close the gap in human spaceflight.”

The South Africa-born Musk, 38, founded closely held SpaceX in 2002 after selling other companies that he helped start -- directory provider Zip2 Corp., sold to Compaq Computer Corp. for $300 million in 1999, and PayPal, bought by EBay Inc. for $1.2 billion in 2002.

ianstone
06-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Is this going to result in space junk, just at a lower orbit ?

bobdina
06-04-2010, 09:55 PM
I watch all the launches from my backyard. Gonna miss the shuttle takeoffs, they were awesome.

joelee
06-04-2010, 10:38 PM
This "O'Bama's plan" shit is for the birds. Its a way to outsource the payload lift capabilities of the US, further weakening our technological edge. And he has no plans to make a run at Mars. This guy is doing everything that he can to gut this countries abilities, standing, and place on the worlds stage. He is a danger to this country, and is doing irreparable harm. God help us.

bobdina
06-05-2010, 11:19 AM
This "O'Bama's plan" shit is for the birds. Its a way to outsource the payload lift capabilities of the US, further weakening our technological edge. And he has no plans to make a run at Mars. This guy is doing everything that he can to gut this countries abilities, standing, and place on the worlds stage. He is a danger to this country, and is doing irreparable harm. God help us.

You said it brother.

ianstone
06-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Don't bite my head off, but is Obama really that fickle.
If so, is there not a clear and present danger,
for our free world as I understand it ?

perocity
06-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Well, hopefully history will repeat itself and we will vote Carter,uhm (Obamas) ass out of there and get a true leader of men.
http://smoothstoneblog.com/2008/11/days-until-obama-leaves-office.htm

perocity
06-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Don't bite my head off, but is Obama really that fickle.
If so, is there not a clear and present danger,
for our free world as I understand it ?

There is always danger in weakness.Don't be fickle,your life may depend on it.

ianstone
06-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Great link, cheers bud.

bobdina
06-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Well, hopefully history will repeat itself and we will vote Carter,uhm (Obamas) ass out of there and get a true leader of men.

One can only hope.

death2mooj
06-06-2010, 09:03 PM

If he runs a full term I dont think we will have a country left. Debt is out of control, taxes will be enormous, national security will be non existant and our military will be damaged further.

I wish he would have supported the LA boycott of Arizona so he could have been done away with on treason charges.

joelee
06-06-2010, 09:49 PM
I got nothing...
Which is very unusual for me.