* Date of death: June 10, 1951
* Burial Location: Farmersburg, IN
* Place of Birth: Terre Haute, Indiana
* Home of record: Terre Haute, Indiana

Awards and Citations

Medal of Honor

See more recipients of this award

Awarded posthumously for actions during the Korean War

For The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pride in presenting the Medal of Honor (Posthumously) to Corporal Charles Gene Abrell (MCSN: 1082642), United States Marine Corps, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a Fire Team Leader in Company E, Second Battalion, First Marines, FIRST Marine Division (Reinforced), in action against enemy aggressor forces on 10 June 1951, near Hangnyong, Korea. While advancing with his platoon in an attack against well-concealed and heavily fortified enemy hill positions, Corporal Abrell voluntarily rushed forward through the assaulting squad which was pinned down by a hail of intense and accurate automatic-weapons fire from a hostile bunker situated on commanding ground. Although previously wounded by enemy hand grenade fragments, he proceeded to carry out a bold, single-handed attack against the bunker, exhorting his comrades to follow him. Sustaining two additional wounds as he stormed toward the emplacement, he resolutely pulled the pin from a grenade clutched in his hand and hurled himself bodily into the bunker with the live missile still in his grasp. Fatally wounded in the resulting explosion which killed the entire enemy guncrew within the stronghold, Corporal Abrell, by his valiant spirit of self-sacrifice in the face of certain death, served to inspire all his comrades and contributed directly to the success of his platoon in attaining its objective. His superb courage and heroic initiative sustain and enhance the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Action Date: 10-Jun-51

Service: Marine Corps

Company: Company E

Battalion: 2d Battalion

Regiment: 1st Marines

Division: 1st Marine Division (Rein.)

ianstone
05-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Please reflect.
Brave yes, in my humble opinion is more than making the ultimate sacrifice.
But also when the soldier commits his outrageous bravery,
they is the personal loss of and to loved ones back home.
some how we have to shake people to remember what,
the ultimate sacrifice genuinely means, to all race's and Religions.

To Hitler and the Taliban, life is so cheap in there thinking
It is less than the life of a Goat to the locals
Girls and children are of little consequence.
For each and every soldiers life lost, we have to believe makes a difference.
Please God, make it so.

Mel
06-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Reminds me of what my son told me.he said "Dad not to sound mean or hateful,but we don't think of family when we are out.All we think about is our brothers beside us."Being a father it kind of hurt...But after reading these post,I've come to understand. Thanks for these post Bob.