PDA

View Full Version : A $3 Billion Government Boondoggle?

Mel
05-21-2010, 07:10 PM
President Obama says Congress has sunk billions into a military jet engine that the Defense Department says it doesn't want or need, and now the two branches are headed for a showdown over a push by Congressional leaders to spend $3 billion more on the project over the next six years.
A $3 billion Boondoggle? Congress Pushes Fighter Jet Engine That Military Says it Doesn?t Want or Need
Lockheed Martin Joint Strike Fighter is unveiled in Fort Worth, Texas on Sept.7,2006. President... Expand
Lockheed Martin Joint Strike Fighter is unveiled in Fort Worth, Texas on Sept.7,2006. President Obama says House Democrats have sunk billions into a military jet engine that the defense department says it doesn?t want or need, and now the two branches are headed for a showdown over a push by Congress to spend $3 billion more on the project.

"The Bush administration opposed this engine. The Obama administration opposes it. We have recommended for several years now against funding this engine, considering it a waste of money," Defense Secretary Robert Gates told reporters this week. "To argue that we should add another $3 billion in what we regard as waste … frankly, I don't track the logic."

At issue is the engine for the aircraft known as the Joint Strike Fighter, an all-purpose military jet that is expected to become the backbone of American air supremacy for a generation. The fighter already has an engine – built by Pratt & Whitney and in use as the jet is being tested. Some members of Congress want to pay General Electric and Rolls-Royce to develop a second one.

death2mooj
05-21-2010, 08:42 PM
They dont want new fighter jets because unmanned is the next thing coming. Waste of money building piloted jets when the next wave will be jets that far exceed anything a pilot could handle.

Mel
05-21-2010, 10:13 PM
I agree with you Mooj...But what they are doing here is getting their funding for all their little pet projects and other pork bullshit. This money could be used for our troops...Better weapons,armor,body armor and such.

death2mooj
05-23-2010, 06:44 PM
I agree with you Mooj...But what they are doing here is getting their funding for all their little pet projects and other pork bullshit. This money could be used for our troops...Better weapons,armor,body armor and such.

I agree 100%, its a waste of money. I just wanted to further accentuate how big of a waste it was.