PDA

View Full Version : Pick on grandma day UK

ianstone
05-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Tearful Granny Loses Battle To Fly The Flag

10:52am UK, Wednesday May 19, 2010
Andy Jack, Sky News Online
A grandmother says she was reduced to tears by council officials who took down St George flags she had put on lampposts outside her home.

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2010/May/Week3/15634683.jpg Mrs Carnelley said her neighbours were sad many of the flags had come down

Doreen Carnelley, 74, from Clifton, Notts, found the set of 27 flags dumped in her hedge.
Now a government minister has said councils should not be over-zealous in applying "petty rules" when it comes to flying the flag for England.
Mrs Carnelley said she had draped flags on lampposts during previous World Cups and European Championships without any problems.
Nottingham City Council (http://indepth.news.sky.com/InDepth/topic/Nottingham) is standing by its decision to take the flags down.
A spokesman said it was illegal to attach anything to lampposts without prior permission and there were also "health and safety implications".
However, the authority later said: "We are sorry we have upset Mrs Carnelley.
"We should have knocked on her door and explained to her why the flags needed to be removed."
Mrs Carnelley, a Nottingham Forest season ticket holder, said she was hurt to discover the flags in her hedge.

"I felt terrible. I was upset. It has hurt me so much. They said they had complaints and cut them down," she told the Nottingham Evening Post.
"We love football. Most of my neighbours are sad. They have been to my door."
Local Government Minister Grant Shapps commented: "Ahead of the World Cup, communities across England will want to wave the flag of St George with pride.
"Councils should show some common sense and not be over-zealous in applying petty rules.
"The World Cup is a great opportunity for local communities of all backgrounds to pull together."
Mrs Carnelley still has 16 England flags on the outside of her home and a number of smaller ones in plant pots.

I myself was threatened with a large fine last St George's day.
How the hell can you be too patriotic ?