PDA

View Full Version : Prince Harry to fly army's Apache attack helicopters

Toki
05-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Prince Harry is to learn to fly Apache attack helicopters, a role that could lead on to frontline service in conflict zones such as Afghanistan.

His decision to train on the aircraft, which carry armour-piercing missiles and chain-powered machine guns, was supported by the Army Air Corps.

The 25-year-old's flying skills and ability were judged to be best suited to the Apache, one of the most lethal helicopters in military deployment, which is sometimes used in close support of grounds troops.

The news was announced by St James's Palace on the day the prince received his provisional wings from his father, the Prince of Wales, at a ceremony to mark his graduation from the army helicopter training course.

The prince has made no secret of his desire to return to Helmand province in Afghanistan, where he served as a forward air controller for 10 weeks in 2008 before publicity about his presence forced a withdrawal.

"It is a huge honour to have the chance to train on the Apache, which is an awesome helicopter," he said. "There is still a huge mountain for me to climb if I am to pass the Apache training course."

He added: "To be honest, I think it will be one of the biggest challenges in my life so far. I am very determined, though, as I do not want to let down people who have shown faith in my ability to fly this aircraft on operations. It is a seriously daunting prospect but I can't wait."

Prince Harry will enrol on the Apache training course in July at the School of Army Aviation in Middle Wallop, Hampshire, where he will remain for approximately eight months.

He will subsequently join one of the Apache regiments for a further round of intensive training that is expected to last approximately eight to nine months.

The UK has a fleet of 67 Apache AH Mark One aircraft, some of which have been deployed to Afghanistan in support of UK and coalition forces. Its primary role in Afghanistan is to provide top cover to Chinook helicopters.

The Apache attack helicopter is designed to hunt and destroy armoured vehicles. According to the Ministry of Defence, Apaches can operate in all weathers, day and night, detecting, classifying and prioritising "up to 256 potential targets in seconds through its Fire Control Radar".

The aircraft carries a range of weapons, including rockets, Hellfire missiles and a 30mm chain gun.

Apache helicopters are based with 3 and 4 Regiments Army Air Corps at Wattisham Airfield in Suffolk. One of them was involved in a daring rescue mission in Afghanistan in January 2007, when four British servicemen strapped themselves to the outside of two Apaches to recover the body of a dead comrade in Helmand.

Their top speed is 205mph and their twin Rolls-Royce engines give them a range of 295 miles.

There have been reports of a shortage of Apaches, as well as a lack of UK army pilots needed to fly them.

The prince, an officer with the Household Cavalry Regiment, changed the direction of his military career and became a pilot in order to increase his chances of being redeployed to the country.

Speaking last June about his flying training, he said: "I'm really enjoying it and, as everyone knows, it's my easiest way of getting back to the frontline. Maybe safer, maybe not, I don't know."

He added: "To get out to Afghanistan again would be fantastic and my best chance is to do it from a helicopter."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/may/07/prince-harry-apache-helicopters-training

I want to know his call sign and I want to hear him on TADS video.

GTFPDQ
05-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Good for him.

ianstone
05-11-2010, 11:11 AM
He may well be a Prince, but he ain't no pussy.
He will do a damn fine job.

dmaxx3500
05-11-2010, 09:40 PM
my only problem is, england could really use a new king to fix things,he could be a breath of fresh air,in that stuffy country

Yono
05-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Good for him, serving his country.