PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Says It Has 5,113 Nukes In Its Arsenal

bobdina
05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
U.S. Says It Has 5,113 Nukes In Its Arsenal
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Published: 3 May 2010 17:53
Print Print | Print Email

WASHINGTON - The United States revealed for the first time May 3 that it has a total of 5,113 nuclear warheads in its stockpile, saying the move would bolster arms control efforts.

"It is in our national security interest to be as transparent as we can be about the nuclear program of the United States," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said as the Pentagon unveiled figures long shrouded in secrecy.
Related Topics

* Americas

"We think that builds confidence, brings more people to an understanding of what President Obama and this administration are trying to do," she said.

Releasing the details of the arsenal would bolster arms control efforts as well as attempts to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons, she said.

Clinton acknowledged there had been "numerous debates" inside the administration over whether to reveal the figures.

"As of Sept. 30, 2009, the U.S. stockpile of nuclear weapons consisted of 5,113 warheads," the Pentagon said in a statement.

The number included active warheads ready for deployment at short notice and "inactive" warheads maintained at a depot in a "non-operational status," it said.

The figure represented an 84 percent reduction from the arsenal at its peak of 31,255 in 1967 during the Cold War, and a 75 percent reduction from late 1989 when the Berlin Wall fell.

The Pentagon last disclosed details of the stockpile in 1993, releasing figures current up to 1961.

Clinton said releasing the figures was not "in any way in opposition to our nuclear security" and that experts had already estimated the U.S. stockpile.

A Pentagon official said the administration hoped more transparency from Washington would set a standard that would encourage countries to be more open.

"We hope that others will follow," the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told reporters.

"In particular we'd like to see more transparency from China. We have really quite little visibility into their programs and plans," the official said.
http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4609401&c=AME&s=TOP

Yono
05-05-2010, 02:21 PM
So what do you think guys? 100% real number or slightly more/less?

joelee
05-05-2010, 02:46 PM
I couldn't guess. The last time I saw one was 88, and we, if we had any , had more than one. Thats 1 ship .
I personally think we should double the amount of low yield nukes for tacticle, as opposed to strategic use.
We aren't going to go all out against the Russians. But what if N Korea used one on our troops in SK? We would need to respond in kind.

Reactor-Axe-Man
05-05-2010, 08:59 PM
It's probably accurate. That said, in another eight to ten years we won't have any reliable warheads left.

ianstone
05-06-2010, 11:08 AM
NEVER EVER, came across a quartermaster that did not have spares, Buckshees.
Have you ?.

Shelf lives and any disposals have to enter into the figures.
As well as replacement technologies and there are quite a few, i suggest.