PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on draw down from A'Stan in July 2011

DefensorFortis
04-24-2010, 02:33 PM
I read in the paper today that there is increasing talk among the U.S. and Nato about trying to meet the July 2011 deadline to start drawing down from Afghanistan. I just think it's a little deja vu from when the russkies pulled out in '89.

Any thoughts people?

Scott
04-24-2010, 05:13 PM
well its good and bad , i personally think if we start pulling out by 2011 is could be to soon not to mention its estimated it will cost a Billion Dollars or so to remove every man/women aircraft/armour/vehicles/cargo from Afghanistan

it also must ba said and this quesiton will keep popping up, will the Afghan Army be able to cope? No, i honestly think not as much as they are doing a great job along side us i still feel the army is still small and needs alot more training with the Helicopters/combat awareness, none of that smoking a joint bullshit while on paratrol.

perocity
04-24-2010, 05:39 PM
I think a evaluation of previous and on-going programmes and projects, involving major local and regional stakeholders, can help to create an inventory of experience made and helps to align different strategies and action plans for withdrawal.Also a top American general has defended setting a deadline on the withdrawal of U.S. forces from Afghanistan, saying it sends a message of urgency to Afghan leaders to prepare for the transition of power.We shale see.

DefensorFortis
04-24-2010, 07:04 PM
My biggest concern is that we are going to repeat what the Soviets did in '89. In '89 the communist Afghan government was unpopular as hell and the armed forces of Afghanistan weren't faring to well without the large contigent of Soivet troops (cough, what it's like now, cough, only difference it's a democracy not commie, cough). As soon as the Soviets withdrew, all hell broke loose and the muj started hammering the crap out of the government and armed forces until they had collapsed in on themselves since they could not handle the pressure (mind you all of this happended from only 1989 to 1992). Right now, we are facing that same situation. Unpopular, corrupt, democratic government patriotic as hell army but dumb as wood in some aspects. If I had it my way, fuck what the U.S. and European public think about the war and keep the taliban on their heels grow a pair and walk the distance. But that won't likely happen.

ianstone
04-26-2010, 01:18 PM
The dead and wounded deserve the respect of an honorable withdrawal.
Withdrawal will not be the end of it sadly.

DefensorFortis
04-26-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't know if its because of the font or color, but that was a very sincere comment. My only wish is that the troops come home with their heads up high, knowing that they defeated the enemy, won the war, and that now no terrorists are going to follow them home to destroy everything and everyone they love.