PDA

View Full Version : Any 13B veterans/active soldiers??

Taggerun
04-23-2010, 11:37 PM
First off, I apologise if I am posting this in the wrong forum. First time using it here.

I am currently enlisting into the U.S. Army. I'm only waiting for the physical. No matter what MOS I choose, it's going to be infantry and that's where I need help. I'm the kind of person that likes to see my work. Drawing, painting, shooting, and blowing shit up. I was going to just shoot for becoming a sniper, but I was also interested in enlisting as a 13B cannon crewmember. I have been in love with cannons since 4th grade history class, but how often is artillery really used? Is it used just on major operations with weeks or months of planning, or is it common support? That is my question. Thanks to any who can answer that. At this point I would trust this site much more than my recruiter haha.

***Bonus Question*** I was also wondering that as an infantryman, do you have to try and get into certain divisions, or could you get transferred based on personal skill levels? I mean that in the same way as becoming like a designated marksman. I have just always believed that some infantry divisions are better than others when it comes to the soldiers.

nastyleg
04-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Well you are asking a mouthful. 13B aka gun bunnies only get to use the cannons when they are cleared by a full bird. As a new recruit you can choose the Division you want to go into to as long as you dont change your mind and contract. Now my one suggestion to you is this.....If you are going to go for the long haul I suggest the 18X program. This entails infantry school, airborne school, pre sfas leadership course. Typically those that attend this course have a higher chance of getting selected. Dont worry about knowing anything you will be taught all of that you will need to know.

MickDonalds
04-24-2010, 09:35 AM
You should also think down the road too. If you're enlisting for a standard 4 year hitch, have a plan for when you get to your reenlistment window (3 years) and think about what you may want to try next. You'll have more fun if you do a few MOS's like I have. 13B is cool and all, but unless you're going to A'stan, prepare for alot of simulated training time and not firing alot of rounds at the enemy. If you go to Iraq as a 13B you WILL BE BORED.

DefensorFortis
04-24-2010, 02:26 PM
You should just go into 11X-Ray like I'm doing. It doesn't matter if you become an 11Bravo or 11Charlie after A.I.T. you will still see some hardcore action. Besides, with 11X-Ray, you can either be infantry or still blow shit up only with a mortar instead of a 105/155. (but they assign you to 11Bravo or 11Charlie based on your A.I.T. performance.

Taggerun
04-24-2010, 02:37 PM
I have also been thinking about indirect fire. Do mortar crews go out on patrols also or are they just support at FOBs?

MickDonalds
04-24-2010, 02:42 PM
I have also been thinking about indirect fire. Do mortar crews go out on patrols also or are they just support at FOBs?

Ha ha ha ha, I feel sorry for the 11Cs that have to go on patrol and carry the baseplates, tubes and mortars with them. I can't imagine being in Paktia province having to hump a rucksack, ammo and 50 extra pounds of mortar accessories with me up sheer, sharp rocks.

Taggerun
04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
How exactly does 11X work? How do you get the chance to show performance with the mortar during AIT if that's not the MOS you chose? I still don't know exactly what goes on during AIT. Is it just a chance to try out everything?

MickDonalds
04-28-2010, 02:46 PM
11X means you go uncommitted. When you get to AIT at Benning, depending on the needs of the ARMY, (which right now is for alot more mortarmen than in previous years-because of A'stan) you'll be selected for either 11B (rifleman), 11C (Indirect Fire Infantryman) or 11M (Mechanized Infantry-<Stryker/Bradley>).

I would try and committ to one of them, because if you really don't want to carry a SHITLOAD of extra weight on patrol in eastern A'stan, go ahead and sign for either 11B or 11M. I would have chosen 11M (had I gone Infantry, but I'm an Engineer) because I'm a bigger guy and I have a curvy spine and I don't do all that great after rucking 3 or 4 hours. I'm lazy and need a big vehicle to drive around.

That's why I LOOOOVE MRAPs!!

DefensorFortis
05-06-2010, 03:16 PM
I know it's kind of strange asking an engineer, but, what would you suggest, 11B or 11M if I had a choice in the matter?

MickDonalds
05-06-2010, 10:57 PM
11B. Seems like they get all the schools and opportunites.