PDA

View Full Version : Brewer signs immigration enforcement bill

nastyleg
04-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Brewer signs immigration enforcement bill

PHOENIX - Gov. Jan Brewer ignored criticism from President Barack Obama on Friday and signed into law a bill supporters said would take handcuffs off police in dealing with illegal immigration in Arizona, the nation's gateway for human and drug smugglers.

With hundreds of people surrounding the state Capitol, protesting that the bill would lead to civil rights abuses, Brewer said she wouldn't tolerate racial profiling. She said critics were ``overreacting.''

``We in Arizona have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act,'' Brewer said after signing the law. ``But decades of inaction and misguided policy have created a dangerous and unacceptable situation.''

Obama said earlier Friday that he's instructed the Justice Department to examine the Arizona bill to see if it's legal, and said the federal government must enact immigration reform at the national level - or leave the door open to ``irresponsibility by others.''

``That includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threaten to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and their communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe,'' Obama said.

The bill, sent to the Republican governor by the GOP-led Legislature, would make it a crime under state law to be in the country illegally. It would also require local police officers to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are illegal immigrants.

The bill takes effect 90 days after the legislative session ends in the next several weeks.

Demonstrators have been camped outside the Capitol since the measure passed out of the Legislature on Monday. Their numbers have grown steadily throughout the week, with buses bringing protesters from as far away as Los Angeles.

Brewer, who faces a tough election battle and growing anger in the state over illegal immigrants, said the law ``protects every Arizona citizen.''

Arizona has an estimated 460,000 illegal immigrants and is the state with the most illegal border crossings, with the harsh, remote desert serving as the gateway for thousands of Mexicans and Central Americans.

U.S. Rep. Raul Grijalva, a Democrat who opposes the measure, said he's closing his Arizona offices at noon Friday after his staff in Yuma and Tucson were flooded with calls this week, some from people threatening violent acts and shouting racial slurs.

The bill's Republican sponsor, state Rep. Russell Pearce of Mesa, said Obama and other critics of the bill were ``against law enforcement, our citizens and the rule of law.''

Pearce said the legislation would remove ``political handcuffs'' from police and help drive illegal immigrants from the state.

``Illegal is illegal,'' said Pearce, a driving force on the issue in Arizona. ``We'll have less crime. We'll have lower taxes. We'll have safer neighborhoods. We'll have shorter lines in the emergency rooms. We'll have smaller classrooms.''

Other provisions of the bill allow lawsuits against government agencies that hinder enforcement of immigration laws, and make it illegal to hire illegal immigrants for day labor or knowingly transport them.

http://www.ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=1286888

Mel
04-23-2010, 07:40 PM
I just watched this on the news,and they were talking about going against their constitutional rights....What fucking constitutional rights do they think they have.As far as I'm concerned....If your illegal, You forfeit any and all rights you would of had. These assholes make me sick. I don't care what kind of life your looking for,If you come here and only take and not give.Your a Damn parasite.:fu:

Mel
04-23-2010, 07:45 PM
And another thing...We have a town just south of me that is going to vote that if you rent to or employ an illegal,you will be fined heavily.I hope it passes with flying colors.

nastyleg
04-23-2010, 07:58 PM
I just watched this on the news,and they were talking about going against their constitutional rights....What fucking constitutional rights do they think they have.As far as I'm concerned....If your illegal, You forfeit any and all rights you would of had. These assholes make me sick. I don't care what kind of life your looking for,If you come here and only take and not give.Your a Damn parasite.:fu:

All this bill does is give the officers the OPTION to ask for thier legal status if they choose to. It is another tool for the police and the sheriffs office to use against a criminal. It is a misdemeanor to be here illegally. If a cop is back logged then he might not want to deal with it however if the same asshole has drugs or guns on him then the officer might want to ask just to add charges against the criminal.

Mel
04-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah...I see that they can't stop someone just to check their status.Kinda like our seat belt law here.It just pisses me off when they start sniveling about their rights.

nastyleg
04-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Yeah...I see that they can't stop someone just to check their status.Kinda like our seat belt law here.It just pisses me off when they start sniveling about their rights.

exactly.

dmaxx3500
04-24-2010, 12:07 AM
at least its a start

Reactor-Axe-Man
04-24-2010, 03:13 PM
There was a protest in downtown Tucson yesterday that I had to drive past on my way home from work. About 150 to 200 people were there from what I could see. One of them was holding up a sign that read "It shouldn't be ILLEGAL to be HUMAN"

I had to do a double-take to make sure that I had seen what I had thought I saw.

This is the mentality of the opposition.

Toki
04-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Hey fuckers, you have no rights, you're illegal! Jesus Christ, can we please open up on them?!

dmaxx3500
04-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Hey fuckers, you have no rights, you're illegal! Jesus Christ, can we please open up on them?!

don't start just yet,its going to come un-glued here sooner then later

death2mooj
05-20-2010, 07:43 AM
10 other states are considering similiar laws, and I hope they do.