PDA

View Full Version : Fake SEAL Gets One Year for Stolen Valor

bobdina
04-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Fake SEAL Gets One Year for Stolen Valor
April 09, 2010
Richmond Times - Dispatch

A man who falsely claimed a chestful of military medals was sentenced to a year in prison and was ordered to repay $11,098 in veterans benefits he shouldn't have received.

Thomas Barnhart, 59, had 21 years of legitimate Navy and Coast Guard service, including offshore duty in Vietnam. But starting in 1979, he began inflating his experience in claims for promotions and benefits, Assistant U.S. Attorney Jake Jacobsen told U.S. District Judge James Turk today in Roanoke.

Among Barnhart's lies, according to the prosecutor: he was a Navy Seal, he received elite low-altitude parachute training, he received five Purple Hearts, three Bronze Stars, two Silver Stars and a Vietnamese medal of honor. He also falsely claimed that a downed U.S. helicopter pilot died in his arms and that he saw other U.S. soldiers die around him.

Jacobsen, a veteran of the current Iraq war, called Barnhart's conduct "repugnant."

Barnhart wept in court and said he lied because neither the Navy nor the U.S. public appreciated his real service.

"I just can't punish myself enough," he sobbed. "Every day I ask forgivenes

Mel
04-20-2010, 03:56 PM
"Repugnant"...What an excellent choice of words.

ianstone
04-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Insignificant cretin.
encapsulates it for me.

MickDonalds
04-20-2010, 07:53 PM
"Every day I ask forgiveness"

Yeah...sure.

Asswipe.

nastyleg
04-20-2010, 07:56 PM
his honorable service should have been enough. Sorry sad sack vermin excrement

MickDonalds
04-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Here's another thing:

Why does it seem like so many Vietnam Veterans lie about their service?

My old man was 1st battalion, 2nd Brigade, 101st Airborne and fought in Hamburger Hill and Hue City in 1969. He's said that that over the years seemingly every vet he meets was out "Hunting VC Snipers in Elephant Grass" as opposed to working on trucks, fixing food, washing clothes, and handing out supplies. Just seems kinda funny that seemingly NOBODY in Vietnam was Service and Support, huh?

nastyleg
04-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Here's another thing:

Why does it seem like so many Vietnam Veterans lie about their service?

My old man was 1st battalion, 2nd Brigade, 101st Airborne and fought in Hamburger Hill and Hue City in 1969. He's said that that over the years seemingly every vet he meets was out "Hunting VC Snipers in Elephant Grass" as opposed to working on trucks, fixing food, washing clothes, and handing out supplies. Just seems kinda funny that seemingly NOBODY in Vietnam was Service and Support, huh?

just change hamburger hill with haifa street, and Hue city with Ramadi, hunting VC in elephant grass with house to house searches or humping the whale back. you will see the same thing. BTW S&S are extremly vital for every 1 trigger puller there are 10 S&S guys that are directly supporting him.