PDA

View Full Version : Mom of US man charged with terrorism speaks out

nastyleg
04-18-2010, 02:04 AM
Mom of US man charged with terrorism speaks out

WASHINGTON (AP) - Pakistani authorities beat confessions out of some of the five northern Virginia men accused of planning terrorist acts in that country, the mother of one of the men said Friday.

Amal Khalifa, mother of Ramy Zamzam, said her son looked gaunt when she briefly visited him in a Pakistan jail, where he was being held with four friends.

"They wanted him to say he was there for terrorist reasons," Khalifa said in an interview with The Associated Press. She said she did not believe her son gave a confession, but that others did.

The trial, in the Pakistani city of Sargoda, begins Saturday. Court proceedings have been closed to the press.

Kahlifa's son described being stretched out by both arms and beaten on the torso. He also said he was deprived of sleep.

The young men, all Muslims from the Washington suburb of Alexandria, and their lawyer have also made torture allegations. Pakistani authorities have denied the claims.

Khalifa said her son was there to attend a friend's wedding, though her son never told her that when he left last year. He only said he was going away for a few days.

"I said, 'Thank God' because it was a chance for him to do something different than school and work," she said.

She described her son as a dedicated first-year dental student at Howard University.

"He had no time for anything else," she said. "He didn't even have time to come home and visit." Politics was never discussed, she said.

Pakistani police have claimed the young men contacted Pakistani-based jihad groups. They accused the five of using the social networking site Facebook and video-sharing site YouTube while they were in the U.S. to try to connect with extremist groups in Pakistan.

The men first came to the attention of authorities after their parents went to the FBI concerned with a farewell video the men left behind. Khalifa was reluctant to discuss the contents of the video with his mother. The video has been described as including war scenes and calls to fight for Muslims across the world, but Khalifa said the men's American lawyer viewed it and saw nothing wrong with it.

"He was a normal American student. He ordered pizza. He played soccer, played basketball," said Khalifa, a U.S. citizen and native of Egypt. Zamzam, 22, is also a U.S. citizen who has lived in the U.S. since he was a toddler.

Khalifa said she does not regret reaching out to authorities. At the time, the families were worried about their sons. And she said the FBI has helped arrange her trip to Pakistan and her jail visit. But she believes the FBI and others have ignored the torture allegations.

Despite some of the evidence against them, Khalifa said the Pakistani lawyer and Zamzam were confident of acquittal. The lawyer even told Khalifa that the men could be released Saturday.

http://www.ktar.com/index.php?nid=509&sid=1284969

MickDonalds
04-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Mom of US man charged with terrorism speaks out

WASHINGTON (AP) - "The young men, all Muslims from the Washington

http://www.ktar.com/index.php?nid=509&sid=1284969

Gee....Why am I NOT surprised?

They just couldn't resist the call of Jihad and it's empty promises, could they? It's simple really- if you don't want to be labeled a terrorist, DON'T GO TO SOMWHERE LIKE FUCKING PAKISTAN!!!!! With that said, I don't feel sorry for them. People dont just visit a foreign country and get accused of terrorism.

lugnutsxhd
04-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Religion of peace, my ass. It doesn't suprise me, he is nothing but a terrorist in the making. If he gets aquitted, he'll just come back here and be a sympathiser, sending his money to his buddies. I saw a video of a young american doctor, also an islamist, he was in Chechnea, fighting for allah. That, was what he did, sent his money to fund terrorism. He felt that wasn't enough, so he took a round about route and got to Chechnea. Felt he was making a difference. What a waste. A lot of talent to be a healer and he throws it away. Go figure. Thanks nastyleg.

ianstone
04-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Was his confession, because he wanted to purge his soul,
or that cost effective ,memory refresher, water boarding ?
You are so hard, on our Asian cousins, they are just, misunderstood.
They went looking for a dozen Asian virgins and could not find any in Washington.
No wonder you people are so unpopular in Iran. (I think I will make a quick exit)

lugnutsxhd
04-18-2010, 11:34 PM
I like you.

ianstone
04-19-2010, 12:24 AM
My last bike was in 2005. It was a Harley road king classicwith screen, cruise control, white walled tyres ans soft luggage. I only did 2000 miles before my doctor stopped my license. It is like having my balls removed. sad. But you will ride on and that's good lugnutsxhd.