PDA

View Full Version : Cow Pies

shatto
04-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Friend --

It has now been well over a year since the near collapse of our entire financial system that cost the nation more than 8 million jobs. To this day, hard-working families struggle to make ends meet.

We've made strides -- businesses are starting to hire, Americans are finding jobs, and neighbors who had given up looking are returning to the job market with new hope. But the flaws in our financial system that led to this crisis remain unresolved.

Wall Street titans still recklessly speculate with borrowed money. Big banks and credit card companies stack the deck to earn millions while far too many middle-class families, who have done everything right, can barely pay their bills or save for a better future.

We cannot delay action any longer. It is time to hold the big banks accountable to the people they serve, establish the strongest consumer protections in our nation's history -- and ensure that taxpayers will never again be forced to bail out big banks because they are "too big to fail."

That is what Wall Street reform will achieve, why I am so committed to making it happen, and why I'm asking for your help today.

Please stand with me to show your support for Wall Street reform.

We know that without enforceable, commonsense rules to check abuse and protect families, markets are not truly free. Wall Street reform will foster a strong and vibrant financial sector so that businesses can get loans; families can afford mortgages; entrepreneurs can find the capital to start a new company, sell a new product, or offer a new service.

Consumer financial protections are currently spread across seven different government agencies. Wall Street reform will create one single Consumer Financial Protection Agency -- tasked with preventing predatory practices and making sure you get the clear information, not fine print, needed to avoid ballooning mortgage payments or credit card rate hikes.

Reform will provide crucial new oversight, give shareholders a say on salaries and bonuses, and create new tools to break up failing financial firms so that taxpayers aren't forced into another unfair bailout. And reform will keep our economy secure by ensuring that no single firm can bring down the whole financial system.

With so much at stake, it is not surprising that allies of the big banks and Wall Street lenders have already launched a multi-million-dollar ad campaign to fight these changes. Arm-twisting lobbyists are already storming Capitol Hill, seeking to undermine the strong bipartisan foundation of reform with loopholes and exemptions for the most egregious abusers of consumers.

I won't accept anything short of the full protection that our citizens deserve and our economy needs. It's a fight worth having, and it is a fight we can win -- if we stand up and speak out together.

So I'm asking you to join me, starting today, by adding your name as a strong supporter of Wall Street reform:

http://my.barackobama.com/StandForWallStreetReform

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

ianstone
04-17-2010, 01:16 PM
It is too little, too late?
Greedy rich people don't change easy.
They often have something on a supporting politicians.
It is a awesome and powerful lobby at the top of finance.
However,
I wish you well because, change is needed, world wide to combat this massive problem.

shatto
04-17-2010, 01:42 PM
You sure you got the context of this post?

nastyleg
04-18-2010, 01:36 AM
Fucking scary if you ask me. All I see is this

Hi I am the President. Remember when the economy went to shit. I sure do. Remember when I signed over billions and billions of dollars over to the "failed policies of the Bush Administration bankers"? I need your help in getting rich people to start hating money. I want you to help me force them to hate it by forming a ubercontrolling branch of government that will cripple our already crippled economy. Remember when you (the middleclass) had enough money to survive well by helping me pass this free market killing piece of legislation I can assure you that you will soon qualify for government hand outs because I killed you company and made you poor.

Your Kommrade,
Barrack Lenin Marx Odumba

dmaxx3500
04-18-2010, 01:03 PM
we need government reforms ,the bankers only did what the congress told them to do,by letting people who never should have been allowed to buy a house ,with no possibility to pay the loans back ,theres a reason that there are apartments for rent

nastyleg
04-18-2010, 08:22 PM
I see it as this. The government should only step in if the bankers breach their contracts or trust with the populous. The government should NOT get involved in the free market system like they did with the banks.

ianstone
04-18-2010, 08:45 PM
To be fair,
you have a point there, win big, loose big, so it is a case of, live by the sword and die by the sword, financially speaking. Yes they cream it in but the losses would not of hurt us so badly in my opinion, nastyleg.

lugnutsxhd
04-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Wasn't it W who handed over the money to the banks, no strings attached, first? Wasn't it W who gave free rein to the banks in the first place? Wasn't it W that caused this financial problem by giving the rich Massive tax cuts, allowing jobs to be sent overseas, making it easier to get a house to people that Aren't going to pay their bills in the first place??? Put credit where credit is due. A black man has always had to come around to cleanup after a white man. Let him do his job!

shatto
04-19-2010, 02:54 AM
Wasn't it W who handed over the money to the banks, no strings attached, first? Wasn't it W who gave free rein to the banks in the first place? Wasn't it W that caused this financial problem by giving the rich Massive tax cuts, allowing jobs to be sent overseas, making it easier to get a house to people that Aren't going to pay their bills in the first place??? Put credit where credit is due. A black man has always had to come around to cleanup after a white man. Let him do his job!
Cute, but inaccurate.

Reactor-Axe-Man
04-19-2010, 11:26 AM

You're funny.

Hmmm.... Let's see...

Free reign to the banks? Yeah, they were deregulated and allowed to get into things not related to banking like insurance, credit swap derivatives, and securities back in... The CLINTON administration!

Tax cuts for the rich? Yes, of course, which is why 47% of wage-earning Americans pay NO INCOME TAX and the poorest of the working class get TAX CREDITS for taxes they NEVER PAID! (Zero and Congress are correcting that oversight, btw, when W's eeeeeeevil tax cuts for the rich sunset at the end of this year. Don't worry, the poor will go back to being squeezed by the Feds!)

Cheap loans to people who had no business getting a mortgage? Why yes, that was first brought about under the CLINTON administration so they could brag about new home ownership on the rise! W and McCain tried to end the practice in 2005 and warning that it was foolish and unsustainable, but apparently the rest of the idiots in Congress (meaning just about all of the Democrats - led by Congresscritters Barney Frank and Chris Dodd - and enough idiot Republicans to put it over the top) decided that the gravy train could roll on forever.

Fun Fact: in the Bush years, manufacturing as a component of the U.S. economy INCREASED. The wailing and lamentation you heard about it being in decline was because it was declining within the protected enclaves of the Democratic Party voting bloc - namely the auto and steel industries. Or more specifically, the auto and steel industries in states where you were required to join a union to have a job in those industries. Folks working in a Toyota plant in a non-union state didn't get as much compensation as the ones in Michigan, but they also didn't need Uncle Sugar to come in and save them, either. Now the Feds want to destroy Toyota with onerous fines over a problem whose true extent has yet to be separated from the hype and sensationalism. How will that help the American industrial worker?

But you just go on thinking that Zero 'had to come around to cleanup after a white man.' It won't change the truth (or lack thereof) of your assertions, but I'm sure it will make you feel much better about yourself.

And isn't that what REALLY counts to you?

nastyleg
04-19-2010, 08:26 PM
So again getting back to my point government needs to stay out and do as it is told. The government puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again.

Reactor-Axe-Man
04-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Exactly. You do not give government powers over you that you wouldn't want your worst enemy to have.

nastyleg
04-20-2010, 08:17 PM
let me break down how I think things should be run.
People=Kingpin
Feds=mini boss
Armed Forces=enforcers
local government=low level pushers