PDA

View Full Version : Kyl, McCain want faster border crossings

nastyleg
04-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Kyl, McCain want faster border crossings

NOGALES, Ariz. - U.S. Sens. Jon Kyl and John McCain of Arizona have asked Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano to help speed up the often lengthy vehicular and pedestrian lines at Nogales' ports of entry.

The senators wrote in a co-signed letter to Napolitano that ``the long wait times to cross the border are having real, adverse effects on the economy of Nogales.''

The letter cited a March 19 story in the Nogales International detailing the problem of long pedestrian lines at the border. In that story, several Nogales officials and leaders blamed understaffing for the delays.

Department of Homeland Security spokesman Matt Chandler says the government is currently expanding and upgrading the Mariposa Port of Entry ``to substantially increase our capacity to process vehicles and pedestrians in a more effective and efficient manner.'' However, the new Mariposa port is not scheduled to open until 2014.

http://www.ktar.com/index.php?nid=6&sid=1284976

ianstone
04-18-2010, 04:04 AM
You simply have to draw a balance,
between security on one hand and illegal’s/ terrorist and their supplies on the other.
My view, is if you cut cost i.e. corners, things do slip and things could turn out horrific, all for a bundle of dollars.

nastyleg
04-18-2010, 12:11 PM
nothing is cheap

dmaxx3500
04-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Close the dammed borders already,,you Arizonians have got to vote McCain out in Nov,this guy is a POS ,I'm actually glad he didn't get to be president [no i didn't vote for obama] the Republicans sure have a problem with the old and feeble ones to run for prez