PDA

View Full Version : Arizona to allow concealed weapons without permit

perocity
04-16-2010, 09:07 PM
AP – An Arizona made AR-15 is pulled from the display at Caswells Shooting Range Tuesday, April 6, 2010 in …

PHOENIX – Favoring the constitutional right to bear arms over others' concerns about gun safety, Gov. Jan Brewer on Friday signed into law a bill making Arizona the third state allowing people to carry a concealed weapon without requiring a permit.

The measure takes effect 90 days after the current legislative session ends, which likely puts the effective date in July or August.

"I believe this legislation not only protects the Second Amendment rights of Arizona citizens, but restores those rights as well," Brewer, a Republican, said in a statement.

Alaska and Vermont now do not require permits to carry concealed weapons.

By eliminating the permit requirement, the Arizona legislation will allow people 21 or older to forego background checks and classes that are now required.

Supporters say the bill promotes constitutional rights and allows people to protect themselves from criminals, while critics worry it will lead to more shootings as people with less training have fewer restrictions on carrying weapons.

Some police officials are concerned the law will lead to more accidental gun discharges from people untrained in firearm safety, or that shooters in stressful situations will accidentally strike innocent bystanders with stray bullets.

"I know a lot of 21-year-olds; the maturity level is gravely concerning sometimes," said El Mirage Police Chief Mike Frazier, an Arizona Association of Chiefs of Police board member. "If you're going to be carrying a weapon you should know what the law is and how to use it."

However, the measure was supported by police unions representing rank-and-file officers, who said their best friend on the streets is a law-abiding citizen equipped to protect themselves or others.

The police chiefs group initially opposed the bill but then took a neutral stance after some provisions were changed at their request. Brewer's office also participated in negotiations on changes to the bill.

A Democratic leader, Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, of Phoenix, said the bill deprives law enforcement of a tool "to separate good guys from the bad guys." With a permit requirement, police encountering a person with a concealed gun but no permit had reason to suspect that person was not a law-abiding citizen, she said.

The Arizona Citizens Defense League, a gun-rights group that lobbied for passage of the "constitutional carry" bill, said gun owners foregoing permits still should get training. "The heaviest thing about wearing a firearm is the responsibility that comes with it," the group said.

Arizona's permissive gun laws gained national attention last year when a man openly carried a semiautomatic rifle to a Phoenix protest outside a speech by President Barack Obama.

Nearly all adults can already carry a weapon openly in Arizona, and supporters of looser laws argue that gun owners shouldn't face additional restrictions just because they want to hide the weapon.

Currently, carrying a hidden firearm without a permit is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.

Forty-five other states require permits for hidden guns, and two states — Illinois and Wisconsin — prohibit them altogether.

Federal law requires anyone buying a gun from a licensed dealer to undergo a background check, but that requirement does not apply to sales by individuals who aren't dealers. Arizona's law won't change that.

Under the Arizona legislation, people carrying a concealed weapon will be required to tell a police officer that if asked, and the officer can temporarily take the weapon while communicating with the person.

More than 154,000 people have permits to carry a concealed weapon in Arizona.

The bill acted on by Brewer was the first attempt to lift the permit requirement to reach an Arizona governor's desk.

Brewer's predecessor, Democrat Janet Napolitano, in 2007 vetoed two related bills. One would have reduced penalties for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit. The other would have allowed a person without a permit to carry a gun largely concealed as long as any part of it or its holster was visible.

Brewer in 2008 signed into law a bill allowing a person with a permit to take a gun into a restaurant or bar serving alcohol as long as the establishment doesn't prohibit it and the person isn't drinking alcohol.

dmaxx3500
04-16-2010, 10:54 PM
they're working on ''if its built and used in arizona '' no fed background check either

nastyleg
04-17-2010, 12:30 AM
they're working on ''if its built and used in arizona '' no fed background check either

That law already passed and this bill could pass even without her signature on it.

perocity
04-17-2010, 02:03 AM
It will be interesting to see if gun crimes go down as a result of this law.Seems to me a bad guy will think twice, seeing how anyone could be carrying a weapon.

ianstone
04-17-2010, 07:58 AM
This is such a controversial topic and the US seems divided on what to do as a nation.
From over the pond I read crazies going berserk, then I read school or office massacres.
We had Dunblane were I crazed man with hate in his heart slaughtered kids. So hand guns went.
We have a torrent of old eastern block weapons flooding the streets. So I do honestly see why people want them banned.
However and it is a big however, as a peace loving ordinary Joe walking the streets or sat in my home. I would sleep better if I had my favourite hand gun close by. So many people don't feel safe at night in their own home.
Is a firearm the answer or a estate/ neighbourhood without fear better or possible? ? ?

nastyleg
04-18-2010, 02:10 AM
I see both sides of this arguement.
Left= People going around like crazed rabid dogs killing everyone
RIght= Shooting bad guys when they try something
ordinary people= I am gonna use this tool to help protect my family while waking around town or night out on the town.

atrox6661
04-18-2010, 02:46 AM
Do you think people who are gonna go out and kill people are going to follow the gun laws?

dmaxx3500
04-18-2010, 12:42 PM
i believe in the 2nd amendment ,but, i also think everyone should get some kind of training,maybe a couple hr class and real time live shooting, so they at least know something and still get a carry card [just to know who got training and isn't a gang banger]

MickDonalds
04-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Do you think people who are gonna go out and kill people are going to follow the gun laws?

No, and we can't much stop that one unless the black market for guns go away. In the meantime though, if EVERYBODY (not everybody but an overwhelming majority) are packin', that in effect is a deterrant for the criminals to think twice, unless they're oddly suidical and wishing certain death.

angusnra
05-01-2010, 11:01 PM
The 2nd Amendment is simple to understand. It is inalienable, which means it can NOT be trumped by any man, government, law or entity of any kind.
I require nothing or no man to tell me what my rights are. I will defend my family or myself regardless of any law that says I can't.

acf6
05-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Well a bunch of immigrants are hollering they are going to kill people with picks and shovels because of this immigration law they passed. So its about right for this to be passed since the death threats that are now flying!!!

death2mooj
05-20-2010, 07:35 AM
I dont believe its constitutional to need a carry permit to begin with. I do however believe that if you are to own a firearm you need education on the laws and handling of a firearm. A test to pass, I know so many rednecks that believe there is a time when they can legally shoot someone on their property (circumstances) when in Virginia it is 2nd degree murder once you have shot and killed someone. Only through precedents and court can the homicide be turned into a justifiable homicide. I know my laws and I know that a gun is a worst case scenario after all other options of defense are exhausted.

But aside from shooting people trying to harm you I feel alot safer if I'm out in the woods or going for a run. I have had dogs run up on me before and I will shoot and kill any dog before I let it attack me.
Lets see how many left wing supporters wouldnt shoot something/someone trying to attack them and if they did how soon they would turn hypocrite or defend gun laws.

joelee
05-20-2010, 03:06 PM
I KNOW how important it is to be able to have a firearm when one is needed.
In 89 I heard a woman screaming for help outside my home in Philadelphia at 0400. I took my legal handgun and went outside to help. A man was beating a woman. I told him to leave her alone and that the police were on the way. Thats when his friend got out of a car, took off his shoes and started to advance on me doing what appeared to me to be Karate moves. I shot him once, center of mass, and he dropped. The other guy ran.
I was charged with murder, and weapons offences for bringing the gun out of the house. At the trial I was found guilty of invouluntary manslaughter(a misdomeaner) and the gun charge. I got 7 years probation. But I stopped the woman from being beaten, and I didn't lose my weapon and possibly my life.
I would do the same thing today. Going out in the middle of the night to help someone would be harder to do not knowing what the other guy had, or will do without a firearm. So I would take one of my guns with me again if needed.

bobdina
05-20-2010, 03:14 PM
You did the right thing which is more then 99% of our politicians can say. All I can say is a belated well done and fuck the system that put the stress of being arrested, treated like a shit head criminal and the stress of a possible murder trial on you and your family. Bob.

joelee
05-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks Bob. It was a bad time, but it was a life shaping experience.
All I can say is thank God for the neighbers who came to testify on my behalf.
They didn't come out that night though :)

Cougar69
05-25-2010, 03:02 AM

Well not the deluded psychopathic nutjob anyway.

I know I'm going to get blasted for this but...I'm glad I live in Australia!

joelee
06-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Well not the deluded psychopathic nutjob anyway.

I know I'm going to get blasted for this but...I'm glad I live in Australia!

Why would you get blasted? Ausralia is a beautiful country, everyone I met there was nice and friendly. Its your home, and I'm happy that you like living there. I wouldn't mind having a place there to spend our winters when I retire.
But there are criminals in all countries, and if I lived outside of town I would want the ability to protect myself, and my family, until the police arrived.
I would love to see Cairns again. :)