PDA

View Full Version : 3058 Lbs.

shatto
04-15-2010, 10:14 PM
So. Thursday;

. I picked up a pallet of 24 boxes of brochures from Color Graphics in San Francisco and delivered it to The Center for Civic Partnerships in Sacramento. It was loaded by forklift but I had to unload by hand. 550 pounds.

. Fetched an envelope from John Muir Hospital in Walnut Creek, department of radiology, and delivered it to UCSF Hospital radiology department.
While in Walnut Creek I got an envelope from Pacific Standard Press for Blue Shield in San Francisco.

. Then I went to World Courier in Burlingame and hand loaded 22 boxes of the liquid used by the person on at home dialysis in Sonoma, where I unloaded and stacked it in their garage. 539 lbs in. 538 lbs. out.

. On the way from Burlingame I dropped off the tax papers at the SFO airport Post Office, then continued to Greenleaf Produce and got a case of Red Peppers for Boca Restaurant in Novato. 25X2= 50 lbs.

Wednesday, I had to hand unload 1380 pounds of Annual Reports at the loading dock of Levi Strauss. Picked it up from the bed which is waist high and lifted it above my head onto the cart on the dock.

So, in two days I lifted 3058 pounds.

I should look like Dwayne Johnson. I don't.

I'm just pooped.

lord_donutz
04-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Lol, you make my job look hard.

lugnutsxhd
04-16-2010, 12:04 PM
When I worked at BFG tire co. I worked in shipping. Each man had to load, 60,000 lbs. per night, every night. All it ever got me, was overuse injuries. I was strong, don't get me wrong, we had some guys, that were unusually strong. One guy I worked with, would do 200 pushups, with two men sitting on his back. These guys on his back, were over 200 lbs. each. I used to stand 6' 3 3/4" and weighed 230 lbs. My family said I was big, but I worked with at lest 200 men, that made me look short. The tallest was 7'4". We had a black man, that was only 6' tall and was almost that wide. I never seen shoulders that BIG, his arms were bigger than my legs, longer too.

ianstone
04-17-2010, 09:36 AM
You wimp,
back in my day, I would of done that before breakfast. Then asked for more before lunch.
Yeah right, ha ha ha ha.
I struggle to lift a pint of beer nowadays. You will be as big as a bull if you carry on doing that type of work, and you will sleep well also. It proves to me that you are not scared of hard work, good man.

Cup_Noodles
04-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Sounds like a typical night at the Gym.

silvertree
04-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Blah you ever work for a drywall (Sheetrock) company? We would deliver whole houses or commercial jobs worth and move it all by hand. One job we did we had 49,000ish lbs that me and my partner moved by hand up 4 flights of stairs got it done in 9hrs. Never loved the weekend quite as much as I did when I did that job.

lugnutsxhd
04-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Every time I would apply for a job, the boss would kick back from his desk, look at me and say "Well, I don't need to buy a forklift, Now." Sucked to be me. I'm big'ish, I would have liked to be a little more small'ish.

silvertree
04-19-2010, 08:32 AM
When I worked at BFG tire co. I worked in shipping. Each man had to load, 60,000 lbs. per night, every night. All it ever got me, was overuse injuries. I was strong, don't get me wrong, we had some guys, that were unusually strong. One guy I worked with, would do 200 pushups, with two men sitting on his back. These guys on his back, were over 200 lbs. each. I used to stand 6' 3 3/4" and weighed 230 lbs. My family said I was big, but I worked with at lest 200 men, that made me look short. The tallest was 7'4". We had a black man, that was only 6' tall and was almost that wide. I never seen shoulders that BIG, his arms were bigger than my legs, longer too.

damn thats some hard work

woodsboy
04-19-2010, 06:50 PM
yea, especially 5/8" drywall... talking about heavy!

lugnutsxhd
04-21-2010, 04:52 PM
As a kid, I worked in a family friends, lumber yard. Sheetrock and concrete deliveries were the worst, followed closely by sand orders. We got a boxcar load of 2x4 boards, from 8' to 20', that had been in a small train wreck, it was shuffled together like a deck of cards. We had seven days to unload it, me and my work partner, 15 year olds both of us, the clock was ticking. It sucked but we got done. All work is hard in it's own way, I've done a lot of difficult and varied type of work. I guess, trying to find what, I want to do, is the challange. If you can go to sleep,happy and knowing that you did a good job, that is, what makes it worth it. Getting payed good to do the job, really makes it more fun, to do the job. I always try, to do the best job that I can, that is what I enjoy. Looking around and seeing the quality of work, of some people and listen to them complain, about they don't get paid enough. Why should they get paid any more than you, when they don't put the effort forth to do a good job? I see a lot of slackers and I also see a lot people, that put a little extra effort into their work, the ones that do this, are rewarded later in so many different ways.

nastyleg
04-21-2010, 06:11 PM
When I work I move on an average 30-40 boxes of bananas at 40lbs each, 15-20 cases(for the lack of a better word)of potatoes that come in 50lb each. 5x10lb bags=50lb and 10x5lb bags=50lbs thats how the "cases" are broken down. 2-boxes of bulk potatoes 40lbs. when strawberries are on sale i move 35-40 cases which are 8lbs each. that is just loading the stuff onto a cart or six wheeler(largeer cart) then there are the apples 10-15 cases a day at 40lbs. so let just go with the lower numbers
bananas=120lbs
bagged potatoes=750
bulk potates=80
strawberries=280
apples=400

total wieght of 1530 lbs. That is just the new stuff. When stocking produce you have to make sure that it is rotated and no rotting produce is up on the shelves. so you double your efforts when you stock. 3060lb when you are done stocking.