PDA

View Full Version : Finnish Peacekeepers in Large Afghan Operation

JiiVee
04-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Finnish and Swedish ISAF peacekeepers are participating with Afghan forces in an exceptionally large joint operation in northern Afghanistan.

The aim of the mission, which started on Tuesday, is to remove Taliban forces from the Bagram area some 200 km. west of a base at Mazar-i-Sharif.

Finnish peacekeepers have never before participated in such a large operation. Lt. Col. Ari Grönroos says an armed exchange is always possible in such an area as Afghanistan.

Finnish and Swedish forces are supporting local Afghan troops, for instance, by securing communication lines, helping disarm explosives, aiding with evacuation and the supply of medicines.

The operation is expected to last 12 days with some 35 to 40 Finnish troops taking part in the initial stages. Later a total of 200 Finnish and Swedish peacekeepers will be involved. Around 2,000 troops are taking part in the operation along with police.

YLE
http://yle.fi/uutiset/news/2010/04/finnish_peacekeepers_in_large_afghan_operation_160 9168.html

nastyleg
04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the update Jiivee BTW how have you been have not seen you on here for some time.

JiiVee
04-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the update Jiivee BTW how have you been have not seen you on here for some time.

Spring is busy time for me, but everyday i try check latest AC news. i am addicted to AC :)