PDA

View Full Version : Four German soldiers killed in northern Afghanistan

Ragnarkson
04-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Berlin/Kabul - Four German soldiers were killed on Thursday in a fight with Taliban fighters in northern Afghanistan, NATO and Afghan officials said.

NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said that the four soldiers were killed in an insurgent attack in the relatively peaceful northern region. It did not reveal the nationalities of the soldiers.

But an Afghan police official in the province said that the deceased were German soldiers.

Joint Afghan and NATO-led troops were taking part in a operation against Taliban militants in Baghlan-e-Markazi district of northern province of Baghlan on Thursday, when one military tank was hit by a mine, Dadullah Mahsoumi, the provincial police chief said.

He could not say if there were any casualties, but another police official at the site of the attack said that a total of six German soldiers were killed and wounded.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid, speaking to German Press Agency dpa by phone from an undisclosed location, claimed that eight German soldiers were killed when their fighters hit one of their tanks with a rocket.

He said three more military tanks and an Afghan military ranger were blown up by mines in Puli Chenar area of the restive district, adding that five Afghan forces were also killed in the ongoing firefight.

Mahsoumi confirmed that one Afghan police was killed in the firefight, adding that unconfirmed reports indicated that six Taliban fighters were killed. He said the joint operation began on Wednesday.

Taliban insurgents have stepped up pressure on German troops in Kunduz province. On April 2, three German soldiers on a mine-clearing mission were killed in a Taliban ambush.

GTFPDQ
04-15-2010, 10:46 AM
ruhe in Frieden!

ianstone
04-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Brave soldiers all.
Fighters for freedom will always be missed
and respected for there sacrifice.
The peoples army. R.I.P.

nastyleg
04-15-2010, 02:28 PM
RIP