PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Pilot Video

JOG12
04-09-2010, 09:56 PM
A little sneak peak on fighter pilot training. I have to say, fighter pilots are amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5LM0e6YUmI&feature=player_embedded

joedan
04-10-2010, 04:33 PM
This is a great post JOG12. I've been in the aviation industry for 24 years now and I think we're about to see the point at which they remove the Pilots from some fighters. In fact, Lockheed and Boeing actually have plans on the drawing board to develop these birds. The first birds will probably be for Special Ops but the general consensus in the industry is that by 2021 or so the first mass production of these types of weapons platforms will beging to crank up. I think the longpole in the tent is the development of the logical decision making processors in computers. I personally consider it a shame to remove the human element from the aircraft and let it make it's own decisions. We're in for trouble when it gets to that point.

Joe

shatto
04-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Fun post.

This 'Top Gun' kind of thing glamorizes flying, because it is a recruitment tool, but fails to show the huge amount of learning they have to absorb before they are even allowed in the cockpit. Most of a flight is completed prior to take off.

nastyleg
04-11-2010, 09:25 PM
The military channel did a docu on the academies and the AF academy shows the whole drinking from a fire hose example.

lord_donutz
04-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Yea there's a huge amount of learning and testing prior to that first solo flight.

SMR
04-12-2010, 01:41 AM
this is a great post jog12. I've been in the aviation industry for 24 years now and i think we're about to see the point at which they remove the pilots from some fighters. In fact, lockheed and boeing actually have plans on the drawing board to develop these birds. The first birds will probably be for special ops but the general consensus in the industry is that by 2021 or so the first mass production of these types of weapons platforms will beging to crank up. I think the longpole in the tent is the development of the logical decision making processors in computers. I personally consider it a shame to remove the human element from the aircraft and let it make it's own decisions. We're in for trouble when it gets to that point.

Joe

all hail ucav!

JOG12
04-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Yes, I argee, there is alot of learning prior to becoming a fighter pilot.