PDA

View Full Version : The end of the special relationship

pixelpollen
04-02-2010, 06:18 PM
hey guys

Huge fan of Apache clips!

Just wondering if there is any recent ex-US military here that have an opinion about the Brits in Helmand.

My Bro just got back and my other bros go out at the end of this year. So i have a good handle on what exactly were doing there.

But it seems like the US are taking over and that's cool as they have more troops and bigger infastructure etc. But is there a sense like "if you want a job doing well, do it yourself" ? A little like Basra and the Brits being pushed around behind the scenes by the militia. At least in the North of Iraq with the Surge, America showed a huge amount of commitment, whilst in the papers it seems like we left the south without having the same impact. I feel the same is happening again in Afghan. I dont doubt the commitment or professionalism of the boys out there but rather the political will. Which in turn makes us look slightly weak.

I hear a lot of stuff that makes me think this is unwinnable as we cannot fight the kind of war that needs fighting.

I love our troops and with 4 brothers in the forces I am unquestionably behind them. I just get the feeling US commanders would rather we would just get out of there way and get on. or is it purely logistics and manpower?

I read in the news that the US > UK special relationship is over. I worry about that.

A bit of a inconsistent rant but I would like some perspective.

thanks
Mike

Scott
04-02-2010, 07:59 PM
h

I read in the news that the US > UK special relationship is over. I worry about that.

A bit of a inconsistent rant but I would like some perspective.

hey Mike, its abit worrying but if our goverment ( the UK ) had a goverment with its head stuck on then it would be good, lets just say the UK is fucked up.

cormack
04-03-2010, 05:04 AM
I cant stand our f**king government it makes my blood boil...

ianstone
04-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi there,
an interesting article,
I am ex British forces, I know that the special relationship is, shoulder to shoulder on the battlefield.
No one doubts that. UK are shortly to have an election, and our prime minister, Butcher Brown is desperate for votes.
US has massive forces and firepower, the cost raped British forces can only make a token offer. With the UK
casualties at a record high the armed forces are standing up to be counted and fight to the death, as do some other coalition forces.
Politicians are a fickle bunch of slim balls on a good day, they will change as often as the wind does, and smile and shake hands.
We, the ordinary Joe's, bury our dead, help the multi-limbless and mentally traumatised.
Please believe me, our special relationship is set in stone and underlined in blood after 9/ 11
So help me God.

Colors
04-03-2010, 10:48 AM
The friendship between us may be over on a political level, but my American friends and I are brothers no matter what some overpaid suit spews out.

I might suggest to these political leaders to stop finding reasons to dislike one another and instead look at why their own countrymen are unsatisfied with the jobs they are doing.

Pathetic and childish bickering from such powerful people can cause trouble between friends enjoying friendships that they have no right to mess with.

GTFPDQ
04-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Ive never seen any special relationship between the US and the UK. Yes, we talk the same language. We share historic links. We even share a family tree in many ways. Yes, the US has helped the UK and the UK in turn has helped the US. Since WWII, the UK has tried to keep up with the US, part as a debt of gratitude for that war, part because it needed to, just to stay on the world stage.

Think about it before you jump all over me, there has been no special relationship, they are words coined by a politician at a time when both countries needed to think it.

nastyleg
04-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Well Charlie if you ask me US and UK have our differences but when it comes down to it out of the entire world our two countries are pretty close in the terms of relationship. Yes that does include Canada

GTFPDQ
04-05-2010, 01:56 AM
If you look at history since WWII, there really hasnt been too many times where this "Special Relationship" has been apparent. In fact sitting here, I cant think of anything. Suez, nope. Korea, a UN mission, the last of its kind. Falklands, AIM-9L and some intelligence. USAF bombing of Libya, not much there. I think we need to be a bit realistic about what we have here, not much!

Dont get me wrong, if there was trouble in the US and you needed help, Id walk down there and stand by you. But then thats personal.

nastyleg
04-05-2010, 02:33 AM
point taken Charlie and if you ever needed help up there count me in. But if the occasion should arise that a "red dawn" scenario arise then well look for me in the white tank mountain preserve...i will have fresh deer and quail roasting and some weapons waiting.

MickDonalds
04-05-2010, 10:21 AM
"The English Allies" (US, UK, AUS, NZ, CAN) are closer than most people believe.

I still maintain the US should absorb the UK's Defence Forces. I know it's wishful thinking and would never really happen, but we'd be able to fund and supply the UK's as a independent arm of our military.

GTFPDQ
04-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Absorb, best get ready to invade mate. Its a 1 sided relationship, a relationship that MickDonalds doesnt see as any benefit, because the Brits are Euro Pussies.

Yeah, thanks mate!!!!

MickDonalds
04-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Absorb, best get ready to invade mate. Its a 1 sided relationship, a relationship that MickDonalds doesnt see as any benefit, because the Brits are Euro Pussies.

Yeah, thanks mate!!!!

No problem, "mate"!

joelee
04-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Ive never seen any special relationship between the US and the UK. Yes, we talk the same language. We share historic links. We even share a family tree in many ways. Yes, the US has helped the UK and the UK in turn has helped the US. Since WWII, the UK has tried to keep up with the US, part as a debt of gratitude for that war, part because it needed to, just to stay on the world stage.

Think about it before you jump all over me, there has been no special relationship, they are words coined by a politician at a time when both countries needed to think it.
Do you mind if I call you Charlie? As an American of British descent I have been raised from a young age to respect and admire the people of the U.K. I have always thought that there was more simlarities than differences between our countries. All of our laws andlegal system is based on your model. I have been around the Pacific(9 countries) and was in Hong Kong when it was run by the U.K. I got along great with the Royal Navy Sailors that I met. I've also been to Australia twice, and loved it. If I could visit one more country it would be England.
Maybe I'ma special case, but I don't think that I am. I think a lot more Americans feel a kindred spirit with the U.K. than you think.

GTFPDQ
04-07-2010, 01:33 AM
JoeLee, my names Charlie, no need to ask. Im not talking on an individual basis. More the political sense. Politically, its lip service needed by the UK. The relationship is a strange beast. The US only needs the UK for legitimacy in some endeavors.

Im not bashing America, far from it, just being realistic in terms of the Special Relationship.

On a personal note, Im Scottish and now live in Canada. England is a grand country and I hope you get to visit it, but if you do, make sure you visit Scotland, Ireland and Wales. (PS Scots law is different in many ways from English common law).

I know, Im being pedantic, but its late and people forget that its the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. (Great Britain being made up of the union of England and Scotland, the Principality of Wales and includes the Province of Northern Ireland.) Wow, glad I got that off my chest.

ianstone
04-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Some good points brought out in this article, America is a powerful country, trade and commerce in general.
Big Companies don't have emotional ties, their job is to make money for the shareholders. A businessman will do what he has to, to clinch a deal.
Because the USA is a key player, all countries want a slice of that wealth. The heir to vast fortunes does not go into front-line combat, generally speaking.
The UK tried to make it a colony purely for profit. The heir to UK families and business did not go into battle either. The Army was made up of forced conscripts or gullible young men or out and out criminals.
Our special relationship is an acceptable marriage of mutual convenience, in business, commerce and trade.
I firmly believe that there are good men and bad men on both sides, military speaking. and the odd fight my break out when cultures clash in a bar etc.
But in the air or on water as on dry land the ordinary man comes together and commits unbelievable acts of bravery while all his friends are dying all around
to Just give one example, the beaches at Normandy and the long hard fought miles inland.I consider our relationship special because of what these men did.
There Merchant fleet, hammered by U boats. The US air force with high losses, keeping the plane level on the bomb run.
To me these are what the, "special relationship" is all about and not forgetting their sacrifice.
Korea is known as the forgotten war. Times may change but respect for the sacrifices made by others should not

joelee
04-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Charlie, I'm aware of the many countries that make up the U.K.. My mothers mother's maiden name was Conway (from Ireland), mothers maiden name is Hopkins (from Wales)
My fathers family is English, and Scots-Irish. I think that I have a vested interest in what happens in the British Isles.
Oh,yeah, I loved visitig Canada too!
Take care my friend, Joe

GTFPDQ
04-07-2010, 02:24 PM
JoeLee, thank you. So many people get it wrong that I expect people to call the UK England. Im sorry for putting you in that category.

Glad to meet you, a fellow Mil Vet. Cheers.