PDA

View Full Version : Army: Gays Can Be Booted if Speak Up

bobdina
04-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Army: Gays Can Be Booted if Speak Up
mchugh4.1th.jpg
April 02, 2010
Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Reversing course, Army Secretary John McHugh warned Soldiers Thursday that they still can be discharged for admitting they are gay, saying he misspoke earlier this week when he suggested the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy had been temporarily suspended.

The public stumble by a senior service official is an indication of the issue's legal complexity. The Pentagon has said it wants to hear from gay troops as it conducts a broad study on how it could lift the ban, as President Obama wants.

But to do that, gay service members would have to break the law, which prohibits them from discussing their sexual orientation.

Defense Department officials say they plan to hire an outside contractor to survey the troops, and that gay troops won't be punished for sharing their views with that third party.

"Until Congress repeals 'don't ask, don't tell,' it remains the law of the land and the Department of the Army and I will fulfill our obligation to uphold it," McHugh said in a statement Thursday.
Earlier in the week, when pressed by reporters, McHugh said he wouldn't try to discharge service members who in private conversations with him acknowledged to being gay. He also said he believed that Defense Secretary Robert Gates had placed a moratorium on dismissals while the Pentagon surveyed troops on their opinions.

On Thursday, McHugh said he misspoke.

"There is no moratorium of the law and neither (Gates) nor I would support one," McHugh said.

With regard to three soldiers who acknowledged to McHugh that they were gay, McHugh said he probably should have told them that they were violating the law and their conversation couldn't necessarily be kept confidential.

But he said he won't pursue administrative action against those individuals.

"Because of the informal and random manner in which these engagements occurred, I am unable to identify these Soldiers and I am not in a position to formally pursue the matter," he added.
While the ban remains intact, the Pentagon has made it tougher to get discharged under the law. Earlier this month, Gates announced new guidelines that tighten the rules for evidence when someone reports that a Soldier is gay and puts higher-ranking officers in charge of dismissal proceedings.

An estimated 13,000 people have been discharged under the law. Although most of the dismissals have been the result of gay service members outing themselves, advocates for repeal of the law say it has been used to drum out capable Soldiers who never made their sexuality an issue.

nastyleg
04-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Odumba's social agenda to apease the leftists are sickening and this is just a symptom of a larger problem as I have said it before. It is more for the gay soldiers protection than for the straight soldiers sensabilities. If the guy next to me can suck chrome off of a trailer hitch but still shoot straight and perform his duties...fine...does not mean that all soldiers think like this. Many, many, many are young males that are homophobic ( I am to but to a point ) that will react violently if thier battle buddy came out. For fuck sake thier are still hate crimes against minorities still going on within the military.

ianstone
04-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Years ago I spoke to a gay marine, his chosen gender came up.
I said in the British army you would be made to leave the service.
I said to be very honest, I don't know what to say.
He said, as I see it Gays fought bravely and fought and died hard.
And watched your back.
I pondered for ten seconds or so, and put my hand out and said soldier,
I'm proud to meet you. That says it all gentlemen.

Pittsburgh
04-03-2010, 09:27 AM
This is a tough one. As a civilian and only speaking for myself...

I don't care if a person is gay, straight or bisexual. Each and every day these people are defending my freedoms and putting their lives on the line in order to protect myself, my family and my friends. If that person happens to prefer the same sex, then so be it. It's none of my business what one does in the privacy of their own bedroom. If you're happy, that's all that matters in my book.

Again, I can only speak for myself, but if I were in the military I would have no problem serving next to a gay man. If he can do his job and do it well, then that's all that matters to me and I would expect the exact same job qualifiations from a straight man. On that note, I can definately see where it could cause strife inside of the military branches. I'm capable of seeing the other sides point of view when it comes to this debate. Hence, it being a tough one.