PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon rebukes general for opposing repeal of 'don’t ask, don’t tell' law

bobdina
03-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Pentagon rebukes general for opposing repeal of 'don’t ask, don’t tell' law
By Kevin Baron, Stars and Stripes
Online Edition, Thursday, March 25, 2010
Stars and Stripes
Lt. Gen. Benjamin R. Mixon surveying multinational participants at Cobra Gold 2009, in Thailand.

Lt. Gen. Mixon's letter ...

Stars and Stripes

The recent commentaries on the adverse effects of repeal of the "don’t ask, don’t tell" policy were insightful.

It is often stated that most servicemembers are in favor of repealing the policy. I do not believe that is accurate. I suspect many servicemembers, their families, veterans and citizens are wondering what to do to stop this ill-advised repeal of a policy that has achieved a balance between a citizen’s desire to serve and acceptable conduct.

Now is the time to write your elected officials and chain of command and express your views. If those of us who are in favor of retaining the current policy do not speak up, there is no chance to retain the current policy.

Lt. Gen. Benjamin R. Mixon
Fort Shafter, Hawaii

ARLINGTON, Va. – Defense Secretary Robert Gates sharply reprimanded the three-star general who commands the U.S. Army in the Pacific on Thursday for publicly advocating against the repeal of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” law restricting gays in the military.

Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, went further, suggesting that Lt. Gen. Benjamin Mixon should consider resigning over comments he made in a letter to the editor of Stars and Stripes earlier this month.

In that March 8 letter calling on troops and their families to fight a repeal of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” law, Mixon wrote: “I suspect many service members, their families, veterans and citizens are wondering what to do to stop this ill-advised repeal of a policy that has achieved a balance between a citizen's desire to serve and acceptable conduct.

“Now is the time,” Mixon added, “to write your elected officials and chain of command and express your views. If those of us who are in favor of retaining the current policy do not speak up, there is no chance to retain the current policy.”

Gates and Mullen denounced Mixon’s letter during a Pentagon press conference.

“I think that for an active duty officer to comment on an issue like this is inappropriate,” said Gates.

"I feel the same way and actually it is being addressed inside the chain of command in the Army,” Mullen added. “I’ve spoken specifically to [U.S. Army chief of staff] Gen. George W. Casey, Jr., about this. And Gen. Mixon specifically is – the issue is being addressed with him."

Mixon, who is based at Fort Shafter in Hawaii, could not be reached Thursday for comment.

In recent testimony before Congress, other senior military officials have publicly opposed repeal of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” law, which Congress and the Pentagon are now reviewing following President Barack Obama’s expressed desire to see it eliminated. Under the law, gays are forbidden from openly serving in the armed forces.

"I think the current policy works," Gen. James T. Conway, the commandant of the Marine Corps, told Congress in February. "My best military advice to this committee, to the secretary, to the president would be to keep the law such as it is."

"I do have serious concerns about the impact of repeal of the law on a force that is fully engaged in two wars and has been at war for 8 1/2 years," Casey said in testimony to Congress. "We just don't know the impacts on readiness and military effectiveness."

But Gates and Mullen suggested Thursday that Mixon’s offense had been speaking out about the policy after commanders were specifically ordered not to do so.

Mullen said the Army had given officers “very specific direction” in written form following Gates’ announcement of his intent to seek the repeal of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” law.

"I think as a three-star leader in command, by virtue of just that position alone he has great influence,” Mullen said. “And all of us in uniform are obliged to certainly follow the direction of leadership, right up to the president.”

Mullen added: “There’s an expectation that you would comply with that. And in the end, if there is either policy direction that someone in uniform disagrees with…and you feel so strongly about it, the answer is not advocacy; it is in fact to vote with your feet. And that’s what all of us in a position of leadership, I think, have to conform to.”

Asked by reporters if Mixon should leave the military, Mullen said: “That’s a decision that would certainly be up to him.”

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=68911

scoutsout80
03-25-2010, 02:32 PM
His mistake was not his opinion, but violating an order

nastyleg
03-25-2010, 02:36 PM
If the Dont ask law is repealed then you will see more hate crimes committed on Army bases. It is not there to protect straight soldiers but to protect homosexuals in uniform. When I joined the Army there was a hanging of a black soldier in Ft Bragg. It was done by white supremacists that joined the military. They were court martialed and put in prison of course but the fact remains that hate crimes do happen not in large frequency but it happens. Who is to say that a soldier that is allowed to serve openly gay will be safe from those who violently oppose homosexuality that are in that soldiers unit. I dont care as long as they do the job and dont try to push their beliefs on me.

scoutsout80
03-25-2010, 02:38 PM
You know the deal bro

bobdina
03-25-2010, 02:45 PM
If the Dont ask law is repealed then you will see more hate crimes committed on Army bases. It is not there to protect straight soldiers but to protect homosexuals in uniform. When I joined the Army there was a hanging of a black soldier in Ft Bragg. It was done by white supremacists that joined the military. They were court martialed and put in prison of course but the fact remains that hate crimes do happen not in large frequency but it happens. Who is to say that a soldier that is allowed to serve openly gay will be safe from those who violently oppose homosexuality that are in that soldiers unit. I dont care as long as they do the job and dont try to push their beliefs on me.

Last week in one of my groups this came up and everybody in the group had those exact thought Eric. The civy in charge said she never though of it that way and it's a valid point thats being overlooked. Never can tell though she may have just been saying that because she was in a room full of freaks like me.

nastyleg
03-25-2010, 02:48 PM
That is why I think they are not asking boots on the ground but going to "think tanks" to answer the question. BTW no freak just a normal guy with a different outlook on life;)