PDA

View Full Version : 15000 Bikers pay tribute to fallen At Wootton Bassett

ianstone
03-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Bikers pay their respects

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01004/wootton-bassett-68_1004921a.jpg Parade ... bikers are welcomed

Published: Today

AROUND 15,000 bikers marked Mothers' Day yesterday with a spectacular mass ride through Britain's most patriotic town.

The remarkable display raised £75,000 for the Afghan Heroes charity, set up by a band of mothers who each lost their soldier sons last year.
And the parade through Wootton Bassett, Wilts was a huge roar of support for our frontline soldiers.
Locals have lined the market town's High Street more than 100 times as the bodies of our fallen heroes are repatriated to Britain through nearby RAF Lyneham.
Yesterday thousands turned out to cheer and watch the motorbike display as staggered groups of 2,000 riders passed through the town.
Some 10,000 bikers registered to take part in the event with each paying a £5 entry fee to the charity.
That number is thought to have risen to 15,000 on the day as word spread and riders arrived from all over Britain.
Denise Harris, one of the founders of Afghan Heroes, said she had received dozens of emails from front-line troops backing the event.
She said: "It boosts morale for them. They are so grateful to the general public for their support, and their kindness."
Biker Colin Ainsworth, 62, travelled from Derby on his BMW R1200 GS and said the ride was a chance to pay tribute to those making the "ultimate sacrifice."
The riding instructor said: "It's crucial we show our support for all our soldiers in Afghanistan.
"Today is also a chance to thank the people of Wootton Bassett because they attend the repatriations on behalf of everyone in the country.
"We can't all make it to the town when the coffins are paraded home and this is our way of thanking them for their support.
"All these bikes is quite an incredible sight - there's literally every motorbike you could imagine."
Matt Fairholme, 28, who rode up from Nottingham on a Suzuki Bandit 600, said: "Today is about supporting our boys and girls on the front-line and letting them no we appreciate their sacrifice."
The rally, which attracted motorcyclists from across north Wales, Derbyshire, Yorkshire and the south-east England, was the idea of biker Elizabeth Stevens, 18.
Elizabeth, a mechanics student at the Central Bedfordshire College, had only planned to ride through the town with a few friends.
She said: "Our local bike club was throwing around the idea of a bike run, so I decided to make a Facebook page, and it just took off."
The bikers came on a wide range of machines, including Vespas, Harley Davidsons and high-powered sports bikes.
They met at Hullavington Airfield, just off the M4 near Chippenham at 8am before proceeding to the A429, the B4042 and finally the A3102 to Wootton Bassett.
Wiltshire county councillor Dick Tonge said: "Such an event being organised in Wiltshire recognises the efforts of the people of Wiltshire in honouring the fallen servicemen and women during the repatriation services through Wootton Bassett.
"We worked closely with the police and organisers to ensure the route used by the bikers provides the least disruption possible and is safe for other motorists on the highway."

Sixx
03-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Awesome, I'd love to see something like that where I live......

gremlin
03-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I was told last night this was banned by the police due to heealth and safety reasons.
Glad it went ahead.
Respect to my brother bikers