PDA

View Full Version : Lions lead by donkeys- thank god for American Forces

ianstone
03-02-2010, 06:54 PM
This is the reality for British troops!!
We borrow equipment, thank god for our American allies.
You Americans would not stand for it !!

General Sir David Richards: Forces reach 'turning point' in Afghanistan
British forces could be pulled out of Afghanistan within five years, the head of the Army, General Sir David Richards, has disclosed.

Edited for clarification

The British army has through the years been taught to live from the land.
We would trade eggs and diesel with German locals for fresh food and the use of a toilet and shower.
In battle training and troop exchanges we knew how to use AK47s and RPG7s and east german and Russian grenades and mines were demonstrated to show there ability in battle. I have fired several weapon and my favourite is still the 7.62cal and .50cal and the old M59 has progressed.
I was taught to assess adapt and overcome, that motto saved my ass on more than one occasion.
We would acquire (steal) items.
Also we would, carry as much equipment we could,not willingly leave man or weapon behind.
Bartering before stealing, but getting what we could.
The British army throughout this Arabian Area Conflict has not given the boots on the ground the kit they need.
Yes, you fight with what you have been given or acquired. Equipment is ordered and equipment issued, but that comes from Financial personnel and limitations are imposed.

Especially in the last year or so. The Forces defence budget which is civilian run, has been raiding funds from none Afghanistan theatres. Simply put, you want a replacement armoured wheeled vehicle, the Forces minister, well his junior minister ensures that the armed force bases world wide cuts its budget further. Men on operational tours of Afghanistan have to be taken from other brigades ,to man the next brigade going out there, because there all under strength. The 300 new weapons that the Brits have ordered should be there now, and that's a good thing. They have been paid for out of the Ministry Of Defences budget The budget that has been fixed for over 12 months ago. So you don't have to be a brain surgeon to work out that, some one else is doing without or going short.

Borrowing Helicopters is fact, as much as we are using US aircrews to do additional work. They know our plight and are only too willing to help out. The air crews are exceptionally professional. An offer of around 15 helicopters was made to Downing Street last year but they refused for political reasons. With those helicopters, foot patrols would not be so predictable.

The government is terrified of raising taxes because of the public back lash. So the ordinary working man or woman rightly step forward when the call comes to defend us all, and kit up and do what soldiers are good at. Fighting! The soldier leave, the polatics to the politicians. Face our enemy and yes at times they have to assess, adapt and overcome. This campaign will be remembered for a lot of reasons. One of them will be poor logistic from UK to theatre. Preparation and planing was disgraceful bordering on the obscene.

The next Brigade will be going out soon and I'm certain they will face UK supply problems. The Armed Force, top brass says all is going well, the have a duty to maintain morale.
If by some strange reason you still don't believe me, think of the resignations;
A Junior minister
General
Brigadier
Two Majors
S.A.S. Front line S.A.S. Major
Several subaltern's leaving
The list goes on.
White wash and they know how to manipulate the figures.
Honestly, when was the last time you heard a politician give a straight answer.
Then weigh up the expenses row in the house of lords and houses of parliament.

Contractors are still milking the defence budget, and faceless upper echelon of the civil servants
Should stop this financial hemorrhaging and help our forces, not enhance careers or turn a blind eye.

Yes my first article was, not well written, mainly because I was angry and I still am. The uniformed personnel have done a great deal, I want to make sure people do not forget what they have and are doing once this is all over.

Comments invited.

By Con Coughlin, in Helmand
Published: 9:00PM GMT 26 Feb 2010

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01586/richards_1586708c.jpg General Sir David Richards Photo: CON COUGHLIN

Sir David said they have reached a “turning point” in the battle against the Taliban. He suggested troop numbers could begin to decline as early as next year while the majority would be withdrawn by 2015.
He gave the upbeat assessment just seven months after warning the Britain’s mission in Afghanistan could last for up to 40 years. Last summer he said the army’s role would evolve but Britain would be providing governance, development or security for three or four decades.

Related Articles

Teenage soldier died protecting colleague (http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/7327132/Afghanistan-fearless-teenage-soldier-died-protecting-injured-colleague.html)
Turning the tables on the Taliban (http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/7325525/General-Sir-David-Richards-Taliban-thought-we-were-on-run-but-the-tables-have-turned.html)
Afghanistan: Operation Moshtarak 'well on track' (http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/7324853/Afghanistan-Operation-Moshtarak-well-on-track.html)
Troops facing crisis of morale, warns army head (http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/7334510/British-troops-are-facing-crisis-of-morale-warns-army-head.html)
Paratrooper who lost three limbs in Afghanistan bomb vows to return to sniper job (http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/news/newstopics/politics/defence/7338472/Paratrooper-who-lost-three-limbs-in-Afghanistan-bomb-vows-to-return-to-sniper-job.html)
British troops 'going into combat in foreign helicopters' (http://www.apacheclips.com/boards/news/newstopics/politics/defence/5865489/British-troops-going-into-combat-in-foreign-helicopters.html)
The blue links will show you how the British are coping with inadequate politicians. The next time you see a "Brit", think how lucky you are.

My comment.
Got a spare helicopter?
Simply this, god bless America's willingness to support its allies.
As for the British prime minister, Gordon Brown, like Tony Blaire, Blood on there hands.
They had ample time to prepare but they wanted to fight a war on the cheap.
Was is not cheap, in the cost of equipment or in the life of our young warriors.
I would put it stronger, but the moderators may sanction me.

MickDonalds
03-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Makes me cross my arms and roll my eyes when I hear that the Brits are more worried about the social services for filthy raghead immigrants than the equipment needs of their own troops, while deployed. Sad, just sad.

At least the British are doing their part,

unlike the Germans, Estonians (we have 100 troops in country, we're special!!), Latvians (see Estonia), Spanish (cowards, all of them!!), French, Italians and whoever else contributed their cooks and laundry boys to A'stan so they can say they "did their part"

GTFPDQ
03-03-2010, 03:40 AM
WTF! We Brits are renowned for our cadging abilities. What we cant borrow, we steal. When we have too much we give it away. The forces werent ready kit wise for both 2001 and 2003, that was a political fuck-up (read my sig). I mean if your going to post stuff make it sensible and capable of being read. We werent ready in 82 or 91 either. At 1 point in 82, I had 2 mags left, the one on my gat and a Playboy. Beg (steal), Borrow (steal) or Steal (liberate).

ianstone
03-04-2010, 12:38 PM
A fare point: Resubmitted