View Full Version : UK Troops hit by defence cuts

ianstone
03-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Leaked Memo:

Troops' Morale Hurt By Cuts

12:43pm UK, Sunday February 28, 2010
Philip Thomas, Sky News Online

Hi guys, I snatched this from Sky.
I don't know about you, but it sickens me when they have defence cost cuts during a war.
Life is hard on the deployed service personnel during a conflict. However this types of thing, effects service families and causes more worries. You know this cost cutting is true, mainly because the government says the opposite, that the forces have never been so well funded.
Well if it is that safe why don't our politicians have a month out in Afghanistan on I.E.D. ally.
Finally, how do you know when a politician is lying? When they open their mouth.

The morale of British soldiers and their families is being hurt by spending cuts, according to a leaked memo apparently written by the head of the Army.

British troops in Afghanistan
In the report, seen by the Sunday Times, Chief of the General Staff Sir David Richards says cuts are having a "cumulative and corrosive" effect on the military.
He suggests the effects of this could even include undermining the operation in Afghanistan.
In the memo, which reported on an internal poll of 5,000 soldiers and their families in Britain, Germany and Cyprus, he says tightening purse strings could damage the Army's ability to keep and recruit soldiers.
Their experience when they came back to the UK between tours was "deteriorating", he says, leaving troops and their loved ones feeling undervalued.
According to the paper, Sir David wrote: "My greatest concern ... is the deteriorating experience of soldiers and their families ... between tours which the team reports is disaffecting attitudes, damaging morale and risks undermining our ability to sustain the campaign."

Sir David Richards

He added: "We need our soldiers to be ready, mentally and physically, to endure repeated tours in Afghanistan, in a harsh environment, with the real prospect of significant casualties each time.
"To maintain the necessary morale and cohesion, they must see tangible signs between tours that they and their families are valued."
Sir David said that said that spending cuts could have a damaging effect in the longer term.
"The (survey) team reports the cumulative and corrosive effect that (such cuts) are having on our soldiers and their families.
"As CGS, I register an early concern about the impact on morale, the potentially severe downstream impact on retention and our ability to sustain the campaign in the longer term."

Rising costs have forced the Ministry of Defence to make cuts in office staff as well as areas deemed lower priority for military personnel such as refurbishing accommodation.
However, a spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said: "The report notes that soldiers feel increasingly well supported and resourced on operations and praises medical care in-theatre and in the UK.
"It also relays concerns about the effect of financial pressure on activity in between operational tours and provides early warning of the resulting impact on morale.
"Resources are tight at the moment and Afghanistan is the main effort."

My opinion, for what it is worth
All coalition members have long tours. Politicians should make available what its generals need to fight. Then leave the forces to carry out that given task. Without interference. If the politicians don't like it,don't get us into a war in the first place, or, join up sign up to defending our lands and get their hands dirty. Rather than sitting on the fence with looking down at the blood and carnage that polatics caused in the first place.
There is little fame and fortune for the ordinary member of the forces. When he or she looks to their left or right, they will see a brother in arms. Not a politician watching their back ?