PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice for becoming a pilot

mp5punk
02-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi all, ive posted about once or twice now about wanting to join the army to fly Apaches, or honestly anyone i get assigned to. I have a passion i can no longer explain for them, i want to be with them and fly them every second! :) So a few questions:

Is basic training hard? Anything i should do to prepare besides working out and waking up early. I go to boot camp over my junior summer to senior year.

Is warrent officer school hard? I'm reading 2 books on how helicopters work and fly, not easy stuff but im getting it.

Does anyone know a place where i can get hands on controls in a helicopter or get a flight and sit in the front or something?

Grade wise, I just passed first semester with 5 As and a B. So im doing good on grades, trouble wise, none this year what so ever, dosent mean i have it coming my way! :P

Also, are there any camps for kids my age (16) that i can do over the summer that involve the army, or aviation (helicopters) camps?

Thats really all i can come up with at the moment, will post more questions if i have more.

Toki
02-25-2010, 09:07 PM
JROTC helps a lot. You should join the second you are able.

nastyleg
02-26-2010, 12:50 AM
Hi all, ive posted about once or twice now about wanting to join the army to fly Apaches, or honestly anyone i get assigned to. I have a passion i can no longer explain for them, i want to be with them and fly them every second! :) So a few questions:

Is basic training hard? Anything i should do to prepare besides working out and waking up early. I go to boot camp over my junior summer to senior year.

Is warrent officer school hard? I'm reading 2 books on how helicopters work and fly, not easy stuff but im getting it.

Does anyone know a place where i can get hands on controls in a helicopter or get a flight and sit in the front or something?

Grade wise, I just passed first semester with 5 As and a B. So im doing good on grades, trouble wise, none this year what so ever, dosent mean i have it coming my way! :P

Also, are there any camps for kids my age (16) that i can do over the summer that involve the army, or aviation (helicopters) camps?

Thats really all i can come up with at the moment, will post more questions if i have more.

Yeah I remember you....As long as you keep your ass out of trouble and your nose in the books you should be alright....as for stick time the only ways i can think of are through a flight school or a friend of the family who has a rotary wing license and is willing to help you out.

mp5punk
03-01-2010, 01:38 AM
hey nasty, yea i have a few of my dads friends who are retired pilots from military and police, got to go on ride alongs a lot, almost had time at controls but weather was too poor. :( so ill keep looking, thanks for the advice!