PDA

View Full Version : Hd tv

shatto
02-13-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm going to buy a HDTV.
I have cable, and the programs are HD and analog.
I will not be upgrading to the 'High-Def' programming.

So...
Is 1080p or 720p best, for someone who wants to buy the least equipment?
Sort of along the lines of take out of the box, plug it in and watch TV.

Cup_Noodles
02-13-2010, 05:10 PM
I would go with the 1080p since it is the highest quality. Pair it with a Blu-Ray movie player and prepare to get blown away.

Mel
02-13-2010, 05:54 PM
If your just watching TV and don't really care that much about the highdef. Get a 720,You can get them for a steal.But if you plan on adding a blueray like Cup said, better go 1080.

shatto
02-14-2010, 04:36 AM
So.....I did it. I bought a Vizio VA320M 32" 1080p HDTV for about $340 from Costco.

And.......I still have no idea of how to tune the darn thing.

If it is left on the 'default' factory settings the picture is too red and dark. I can't adjust away the pasty-waxy look of peoples faces.

It only took all afternoon to stumble on how to make the friggin DVD player show anything and, when I follow the directions for setting the picture using the DVD picture, the live TV picture is worse.

It's tuner is neat. I've found a mess of high def stations my old TV couldn't pick up and I'm getting free, until I'm found out and they block them.

The HD lead-in video of Vancouver and vicinity are stunning and seem perfect. Then Al Michaels and Bob Costas come on, looking like they have 1st degree sunburns.

I sure could use some help before I lose it and put a boot through the screen.

sparkie
02-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Love to help ya, but my VCR clock ain't set yet.

SMR
02-15-2010, 09:27 PM
call this number 888-849-4623 vizio customer service

shatto
02-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Alex, in Salt Lake City, sounded like a cutie and she was polite.................but she read the friggin manual to me. Politeness kept me from hanging-up on her.
Oh, well.........at least I got through promptly.

Mel
02-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Without having my hands on the remote it's self,Kinda hard to tell you how to fix it.If you can find anything that says picture mode,Or something to that effect.It will have settings like "sports",or "warm" or maybe "cool",and "game".These are picture settings. Go through those and see if there is one you can tolerate until you are able to figure it out. Hope that helps Shatto, Good luck.