PDA

View Full Version : The Forever War

scoutsout80
02-08-2010, 02:22 PM
February 8, 2010; The United States has decided to halt the reduction of its forces in Europe. Instead, at least four brigades and a corps headquarters will remain. Formerly, the plan was to reduce American troops strength in Europe to about 24,000. Instead, there will be closer to 40,000 troops remaining. The U.S. has had troops stationed in Europe for nearly 70 years.

When the Cold War ended in 1991, the United States had four divisions (plus some independent brigades) and 250,000 troops in Europe. By 2006, there were 62,000 troops, and only four combat brigades. Half the force will move east. The Eastern European Task Force (EETF), and its two combat brigades, will be based in Romania and Bulgaria. The U.S. is spending over $100 million to built bases in Romania and Bulgaria. The remaining force will consist of two infantry, one Stryker and one airborne brigade.

nastyleg
02-08-2010, 02:28 PM
I can see the need for our military in Europe as I was growing up in the 80's but not so much now. I would rather there be a joint international base like the ones in Iraq and in Afghanistan were everyone ( Europe and the US) shares it but is sectioned off and the joint base would be for inter military exercises. kinda like a JRTC of Europe.

scoutsout80
02-08-2010, 02:36 PM
I can see the need for our military in Europe as I was growing up in the 80's but not so much now. I would rather there be a joint international base like the ones in Iraq and in Afghanistan were everyone ( Europe and the US) shares it but is sectioned off and the joint base would be for inter military exercises. kinda like a JRTC of Europe.

Fuck that, we would end up paying for all of it, building them, and running them so the euros can mooch off us.

nastyleg
02-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Fuck that, we would end up paying for all of it, building them, and running them so the euros can mooch off us.

good point.....then fuck it just remove the US troops from central Europe. save the tax payers money and would increase our own defensive and offensive capabilities. Look at Ft Riley when the big red one came back home. Place exploded and now the surrounding area is doing a lot better because of the increase of economic activity.

scoutsout80
02-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Agreed.

Reactor-Axe-Man
02-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Except for the part where Europe collapses back into fascism (do a search on info related to the looming sovereign debt collapses in Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, and Spain - the so-called PIIGS, and how France and Germany are telling them to go fuck themselves but please don't take us with you), I see no need for us to be there anymore. We subsidized their welfare states with our military presence and our defense guarantees. They've made their beds, but we shouldn't have to sleep in them.

sparkie
02-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Yes, I agree, but if we bring em home, we will disband them so Unkle Bammy can spend more money on his friends de-leveraging. Europe is in bad shape, they are closer to the dark ages than we are, but we are not far behind.

My advice????? buy beans.

fascism ; A marriage of Govmt and business,,,,,,,,,,Yep, That's us.

MickDonalds
02-09-2010, 09:04 AM
good point.....then fuck it just remove the US troops from central Europe. save the tax payers money and would increase our own defensive and offensive capabilities. Look at Ft Riley when the big red one came back home. Place exploded and now the surrounding area is doing a lot better because of the increase of economic activity.

Exactly. Fuck 'em. They dont want us, so let their economies go to hell in a handbasket. They complain all the time about how awful we are, so pull all of our troops back home, I say.