PDA

View Full Version : USNA in uproar over player’s drug test

nastyleg
02-01-2010, 04:53 AM
USNA in uproar over player’s drug test

By Philip Ewing - Staff writer
Posted : Thursday Jan 28, 2010 19:59:59 EST

A Naval Academy football player is being permitted to continue as a midshipman even after testing positive for drug use, according to multiple sources and Web sites that have sprung up to criticize the decision.

Midshipman 3rd Class Marcus Curry, a star slotback and a key weapon in the team’s potent running offense, tested positive for marijuana in his system in December. According to sources with knowledge of the situation, Curry smoked a cigar packed with a mixture of pot and tobacco — also known as a “blunt” — deeply enough for the drug to show up on a random urinalysis test. But he told Naval Academy leaders he didn’t know that what he was smoking was marijuana and is being permitted to continue at Annapolis, the sources said.

Naval Academy spokesman Cmdr. Joe Carpenter said he could not comment about disciplinary matters involving midshipmen because of privacy regulations. However, in a written statement, he made clear that the letter of the law states that a sailor or mid must know he’s taking an illegal drug to run afoul of the standards:

“The Navy and Naval Academy have a ‘zero tolerance policy’ in regards to drug use, which means that any service member who is suspected of drug use will be administratively processed for separation,” Carpenter said. “This does not mean that there is a policy of mandatory separation — only that the service member be processed for separation. However, the Navy’s illegal drug policy requires the commander to ascertain if a service member knowingly consumed an illegal drug. This aspect is one of several issues that must be established for the commander to determine if the Navy’s drug use policy was violated by a service member.”

Naval Academy administrators, including commandant Capt. Matt Klunder, recommended that Curry be expelled as a result of his violation, but Naval Academy Superintendent Vice Adm. Jeffrey Fowler decided he should stay, according to multiple sources. People with knowledge of the situation also said Curry already had three honor code violations before failing his drug test.

“This kid should’ve been kicked out a long time ago by anyone’s standards — and now he gets away with a failed drug test? It’s ridiculous,” one person told Navy Times.

Navy Times made multiple attempts to contact Curry and did not name him in an initial story posted online Wednesday to give him time to respond. But Curry said through a spokesman for the Naval Academy’s athletics department Thursday he would make no comment. Navy football coach Ken Niumatalolo referred questions to Carpenter.

Curry’s story was the latest example of what critics have said is a culture of special privilege at the Naval Academy for its star athletes, who are said to escape punishment for the same transgressions that get their classmates ejected. Many midshipmen — including even other members of the football team, according to one source — are “in an uproar” over the situation.

Since the story broke Tuesday on the naval blog “CDR Salamander,” users on the social-networking site Facebook have set up a page called “Zero Tolerance = Zero Exceptions,” devoted to criticizing the Naval Academy’s decision not to dismiss Curry, although the site also didn’t identify him. As of Thursday afternoon it had 279 members, including many midshipmen.

The creator of the page — who is not a sailor or a midshipman — told Navy Times she set it up because she has had Navy friends who have been separated for failing drug tests.

“No one is mad at him for smoking dope. It happens. People make mistakes. It happens every single day,” said Caitlin Rittelmeyer, a senior at University of San Diego who said she had many connections to the Navy and the Naval Academy through family and friends.

“But the people I know who made this mistake had to pay for it. The people I know who have stayed clean, they’ve followed the rules — and all of a sudden somebody gets away with it? It’s not fair. Nobody wants to crucify this guy. It’s just, well, these are the rules. We thought these are the rules for everyone.”

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2010/01/navy_academy_drugs_update_012710w/

nastyleg
02-01-2010, 04:58 AM
Is it me or have the fucking standards been soo fucking slack to allow a drug offender in the military....I have known several great soldiers kicked out for smoking pot 300+ pt score EIB the works yet still kicked out for smoking pot. My stance is that you can improve on the standards set forth by highger up but not lower them.....out of the hundreds of applicants that apply to become an officer in the military 90% are turned away! To allow a midshipmen to still be in without kicking them out is a discrace and huge dicredit to those who have worn the Naval uniform of the US Naval Officer!

nastyleg
02-01-2010, 04:58 AM
yes I am Drinking, 3 honor violations prior to him pissing hot come the fuck on!!!!!!!!!!

acf6
02-01-2010, 10:04 AM
I am right there with Ya Eric his ass should be GONE!!!! This bullshit with these atheletes needs to change!!! College and professional sports have been ruined by this bullshit!! I like watching sports but hate the people associated with them!!